SAU Community

Eastern Creek Susp Settings

HKS26T

Hi guys,

just wondering what i would need to consider in terms of setting the susp for EC?

This suggestion was made - would you or wouldnt you? what other info is vital to help?

Front

Camber 2.7-3 degrees

Toe -1.5 each side

Castor 7 degrees

Rear

Camber 1.8-2

Toe 0

Not to sure what the above will acheive, i just drive the thing :blink:

I would probably run more camber on the front and Toe the rear out 1 to help under brakes. But what you have would be a good start and come in after a session and measure the temps across your tyres and look for any weird wear marks, then just adjust it so you like the feel of it.

Edit: I just read your sig a 1:05 at wakie and you are asking us for ideas, your way ahead mate good luck.

I'd go 4 degrees front camber and toe the rear end in 2mm total to help with stability on corner exit as a starting point.

pyrometer from there to see if you are using all of the tyre or just one side and adjust to suit.

Edited by badhairdave

I am pretty interested in peoples responses to this question.

Can you all please post up what you have actually ended up with on your cars? And what car it is.

I am keen to get results for R32 GTsT's

Edited by Tektrader69

Maybe if you could copy, fill in your details and enjoy :domokun:

Car:

Power:

Lap time:

Tyre and Pressure:

Front Settings:

Camber:

Toe:

Castor :

Rear Settings:

Rear:

Camber:

Toe:

From speaking to others on the forums - because i will not be running a r-compound tyre, i should ease up on the front camber as the tyres wont like it.

My biggest problem is i have no idea what all the settings really mean. The local alignment fellows set the car up for wakefield last time out, so obviously when going to EC, changes need to be made because its a totally different track. I have seen some info online but find it too rich to read when it explains the terms.

My level of experience at the moment is that the only honest results i can interpret from the car is that if it has a tough time turning into corners (understeer) or when the tail end is a little skaty. Once all the other terms are used or spoken about - its a totally different language. :)

Cheers

Steve

Hi Duncan,

sorry i cant answer accurately your request but i would like to thank you in advance, not everyday you have a seasoned racer comment :)

what tyres will you be running on? 285/30/18 yoko neova ad08

what does the car weigh? ~1500kg

what power does it make? 320awkw

what size sway bars front and rear? not sure

what spring rates front and rear? the suspension i have, have a standard spring rate at F8.8R8.8 although i am not sure because it looks likes the springs have been changed

what's the purpose, superlap or an enduro race? hopefully superlap

Cheers

Steve

Hey Steve,

As previous conversations it would be best to test the car at EC with the tyre of choice and a pyrometer.

I found that street tyres don't like huge amounts of camber on my car, but then again each car is different. Spring rates/valving will also affect camber settings.

Hope it all goes well.....

ok that helps a mile!

I'm by no means a guru but this is my ideas.....

first up....road tyres (even good ones). probably ok for 1-3 laps at a high pressure. after that you would be in trouble but at superlap that's not an issue.

compared to my car you make 100kw more and weigh about the same, but you have crap (relitively) tyres. and much harder springs and same or harder bars. its a gtr, right?

so....

less camber front and much less rear. your car will slide before it rolls up on the tyre too much. and you don't want much camber on the rear because it will lead to wheelspin.

front camber 2.5o, rear camber 1.5o or even 1.0o. Maybe .25o more on the right front

castor - as much as you can get without rubbing as always. 7o is heaps in a 4wd I am surprised you could get there without issues (then again r33 is much better at the front than r32)

toe front....I run 1mm out but I think that is a personal preference. I've heard of people running between 1-3mm out per side. More will be dartier (ie feel like it turns in better) but ultimately will have less grip IMHO.

toe rear....depends how much you like the tail to move. +2mm for very stable, +1mm for normal/neutral or 0mm for unexpected mid corner oversteer (can help with mid corner understeer for a flat out lap like superlap).

pressure...what tyres? assuming falken rsr or kumho ku36 or similar I would run about 40psi hot and check how it feels. Yes it is very high but it really helps in hard tyres, especially for only a few laps.

BTW no matter what with road tyres you will rip up your outside front. If you can take a spare outside front for the weekend and change it after practice.

also...just be stable in turn 1 (ie settle it early and keep it smooth), and be very patient in turn 2 (apex is the end of the ripple strip on the exit on bad tyres). don't fall for what you see the super taxis do it wont work on road tyres

Thats a tonne of info to digest :)

the only quesiton i have, is that this wednesday i'm due to go out to EC.

With Sydney getting drenched with rain and the possiblity of it raining on this day

is very high as well. Are there any wet weather tips i should consider?

I will definately keep you all informed!

Cheers

Steve

"pressure...what tyres? assuming falken rsr or kumho ku36 or similar I would run about 40psi hot and check how it feels. Yes it is very high but it really helps in hard tyres, especially for only a few laps."

Speaking to Gordon Leven race tyres, he told me optimum pressure on the Ad08 are 36psi HOT. I will gauge this throughout the day and have a play around as well

Edited by HKS26T

OK, so in regards to rear toe, i was under the impression that toe in, say 1.5mm+ was what was recommended for rear stability...so have i mis-understood?

ok that helps a mile!

I'm by no means a guru but this is my ideas.....

first up....road tyres (even good ones). probably ok for 1-3 laps at a high pressure. after that you would be in trouble but at superlap that's not an issue.

compared to my car you make 100kw more and weigh about the same, but you have crap (relitively) tyres. and much harder springs and same or harder bars. its a gtr, right?

so....

less camber front and much less rear. your car will slide before it rolls up on the tyre too much. and you don't want much camber on the rear because it will lead to wheelspin.

front camber 2.5o, rear camber 1.5o or even 1.0o. Maybe .25o more on the right front

castor - as much as you can get without rubbing as always. 7o is heaps in a 4wd I am surprised you could get there without issues (then again r33 is much better at the front than r32)

toe front....I run 1mm out but I think that is a personal preference. I've heard of people running between 1-3mm out per side. More will be dartier (ie feel like it turns in better) but ultimately will have less grip IMHO.

toe rear....depends how much you like the tail to move. -2mm for very stable, -1mm for normal/neutral or 0mm for unexpected mid corner oversteer (can help with mid corner understeer for a flat out lap like superlap).

pressure...what tyres? assuming falken rsr or kumho ku36 or similar I would run about 40psi hot and check how it feels. Yes it is very high but it really helps in hard tyres, especially for only a few laps.

BTW no matter what with road tyres you will rip up your outside front. If you can take a spare outside front for the weekend and change it after practice.

also...just be stable in turn 1 (ie settle it early and keep it smooth), and be very patient in turn 2 (apex is the end of the ripple strip on the exit on bad tyres). don't fall for what you see the super taxis do it wont work on road tyres

Thanks Duncan and co for the input - these settings worked a treat today on the track! You are a GURU

Besides the tyres not liking more then 2-3 laps SUPERLAP CLUBSPRINT CLASS AGO GO GO!! :(

There is alot to say about my driving - but i wish to close the gap over the next couple of months

Now i know the car can go 1:45s (unofficially) Thanks Boz! A good driver is a couple of secs off a pro :P

So what time will i run if im just average?? :D

Edited by HKS26T