SAU Community

Pro's And Con's

Blinky101

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres my thoughts and experience after driving every single one of them both dead stock ones and modified:

GTSTs and GTTs

R32-The good is that its light and almost everybody loves the styling but the problem is that almost everyones got one; they are replacing S-13 silvias with population which means even dicks that give us bad names can easily access it as well. another problem is its way too old now with many problems like electronics starting to fail; we got a lot of R32s that came in for electrical faults, quite a lot in poor condition these days as most are ex-drift cars or not treated with TLC and the RB20 lacks torque, which is also why it uses more fuel than the later models since the R32 is still fairly heavy.

R33-Better engine and more space is probably the good thing bout 33s and while the styling maybe a little boring, i find its discreet rounder shape makes it good as a sleeper and attracts less attention but almost everyone knows what a skyline is these days anyway and theres still a chance you can get them in good condition or dead standard. i also like the interior as it kinda has a wrap around dash like a supras; ive mounted my gauges around the curved part of the centre console which gives it like a fighter jet cockpit since mounting gauges on the dash is illegal. R33s i think have the best package all round. of course, its also so cheap now almost everyone can afford it, like the R32 quite a lot of R33s are in conditions rivalling a bunky and while it has good fuel consumption, could do with a slightly bigger fuel tank: R32-72L R33&R34-65L

heres my interior more gauges to go:post-54418-1266582451_thumb.jpg

R34-Way better than the R32 and R33 in terms of performance and styling but also more electronics like NVCS on both cams and traction control. more modern interior and styling while not as good looking as the GTR, still has presence. smaller space compared to the R33 but of course, who cares bout it. not much need to be said bout the R34, its a good RWD skyline and also a good tuning base like its older brothers as well.

GTR

R32- As we all know is the one that started the GTR prodigy, still looks good even when its already 20 years old and performance still praised even today but being 20 years old means age has taken its toll on wirings and mechanicals depending on how they are treated back then but being a GTR, almost every one of them has taken abuse aready. be sure you have enough cash ready when something goes wrong as parts for it are quite exxy and like its little brother, many of them are in poor condition. plus, ive realised not many people knew that despite the R32 GTR being 4wd, its RWD most of the time with traction to the front wheels only coming in when needed and many people expected it to handle like a WRX and im sure you know where im going here.

R33- Wider than standard GTST version gives it better presence on road but still not as good looking as the other 2 with an updated ATTESA ETS with Active LSD which makes it faster round corners but seems a bit soft compared to the R32 and slightly better engine but its actually slower than the R32 from 0-400m dead stock due to weight but advantages are similar to the GTSTs in terms of practicality and higher chance of getting them in excellent condition and dead standard as well. also you've got some bragging rights with a 33 GTR as it is the 1st production car to go round the Nurburgring in less than 8 minutes.

R34- The best of everything an import can get with menacing styling with performance to match and the best package but of course, not everyone can afford one as until now they hold their value pretty well. very nice driving position, excellent support from seats and TV screen means you dont hav 2 spend on gauges as unlike the usual factory gauges, the R34 GTRs screen is a lot more Hi-Tech and works better than the analogue ones. lots of mint conditions one around if you can afford it and many standard as owners want to keep the car's value.

Quoted for factually innaccurate information to be repeated...

I dont really know about the r34s or the GTR'sbut when I bought mine:

R32 gtst-Older, worse interior, 0.5L less displacement, worse gearbox, less room inside, higher kms and worse condition in general than 33's for the same price, looks better.

R33 gtst- see above. looks worse but still pretty nice and not too dated, most old people think my '93 model looks like it was made in 1998-2002. fuel economy doesnt seem any worse than the 32 even with the extra power and weight.

Also can someone explain to me why R33's are boats? They are lighter than the R34 which isn't a boat and they weigh what 100kgs more than a 32? How much would a 32 weigh with a rb25det+25 gearbox.

In the end I couldnt justify paying the r32 tax to brag about how cool and non-boaty my car is so I just went with the cheaper, newer, bigger engined r33, even though an R32 is what I initially wanted

+1 ^ RB20DET gearboxes are f**king shite! Mine can't even handle the torque in my 25DE...

33's are boats because of their handling, It's mostly just because they have a much bigger turning circle (10.4m) compared to the 32 (5.2m)

I don't think the r32 has a 5.2m turning circle. I reckon they are both about 10m. But hey, I don't know for sure.

And I'm led to believe the boaty thing is more to do with the r33's body roll, nothing some suspension can't fix up.

I don't think the r32 has a 5.2m turning circle. I reckon they are both about 10m. But hey, I don't know for sure.

And I'm led to believe the boaty thing is more to do with the r33's body roll, nothing some suspension can't fix up.

R32 Specs:

http://nissanskyline.6te.net/GTST_spec.htm

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/skyline/specs/r32_gtst.php

R33 Specs:

http://justskylines.com/knowledgebase/othe...tech_specs.aspx

http://meggala.com/r33main1.html

And yes, i also believe it would have something to do with the body roll of the cars. Ive only been in GTR versions of the cars so couldn't compare the GTS-T's, but the 33 GTR V-Spec that i drove (Ten Fours old car) felt quite soft in comparison to both Stormtroopers and Ecentrix's 32 GTR's which were both really firm rides. As far as i know, all the GTR's i've driven had stock suspension, but im not 100% on that so don't hold me to that :)

Also the seating position in the 33 GTR made the car feel extremely large, could also contribute to the boatness of them

And yes, i also believe it would have something to do with the body roll of the cars. Ive only been in GTR versions of the cars so couldn't compare the GTS-T's, but the 33 GTR V-Spec that i drove (Ten Fours old car) felt quite soft in comparison to both Stormtroopers and Ecentrix's 32 GTR's which were both really firm rides. As far as i know, all the GTR's i've driven had stock suspension, but im not 100% on that so don't hold me to that :)

Don't think the latter two GTR's you mention had stock suspension, but I'll leave that to their (ex) owners to confirm.

No mine didn't at all. It had Tein Flex in.

Stock suspension is known for being shit regardless in most models.

The 32 is a car to be appreciated, so is a 33 and a 34.

They all are great cars.

And who says you cant put an rb25 in a 32, do as you wish, and most importantly do what you want, dont let other people tell you what to do, but take constructive criticism.

Ok so yeh, i can't really comment on the body roll of the cars seeing as the 32's didn't have stock suspension. But the 33 did feel like you were driving a big car.

I agree with Tom ^ All these cars are great cars, thats why they are loved by enthusiasts. Each has their advantages and disadvantages

No way Tom's and Stormtrooper's had stock suspension lol. TBH I loved my old car's suspension. It had minimal roll + it was so comfy for a daily! Feels like a bigger car cause it was.... But hey, it was stock. Current 32 is much tighter - probably down to the feel of the billsteins and the smaller body. I don't get the boatyness either.......Was leaving behind S15s/R32s on hill cruises in it and I had shit tyres on it too (Triangles - around $100/corner).

As i said, i think the boatness come from their respective turning circles. The 33 is exactly twice that of the 32

I don't believe a 32 can drive around in a 5.2 m diameter circle.

A Hackney Carriage (London Cab) can only do it in 8 m and it is specially designed to have a very tight turning circle.

These articles all copy each other and fail so specify what exactly their turning circle is.

Radius?

Diameter?

Circumference ?

R32s feel much tighter to drive than R33s, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same supposed turning.

According to those "specs" the Skyline itself is 4.5 metres long...even the R32 (smaller, lighter), HICAS or not, probably can't pull that off without a bit of wheel spin.

Ok Crew

I fly back to work tomorrowand will be showing Rod all your constructive, and not so, criticisms. After that we will post some more pointed and specific questions in the same thread.

Cheers for everyones input.

BTW - I took my boat for a sail down caves road between Yallingup and Margaret River today, Fantastic driving road, twisty and turny and scenic. Didn't even get seasick!!

Blinky