SAU Community

Pro's And Con's

Blinky101

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he wants bang for buck, go the R33 GTS-t, yes theres a few of them on the roads nowdays but who cares the thing is an awsome car.

If he has a bit of money to play with and has no missus ($25,000 - $30,000), buy an R32 GTR, drop an R33 GTR RB26/Gear Box/Diff etc... But will still need to keep a bit of money in the bank for future problems. (20 yr old car)

call me dumb but i dont get the boat joke haha. :(

Skyline GTR R32 , R34 still look the goods but i have to agree with most of people out there ,the R33 is looking really outdated and im not a fan of any GTS-Ts/ GT-Ts :(

Looking 'dated' is 100% irrelevant unless you are a poser.

If you want to look up to date then keep trading in your MX-5 every year. :D

The 32 looks more dated than the 33 anyway.

Skyline GTR R32 , R34 still look the goods but i have to agree with most of people out there ,the R33 is looking really outdated and im not a fan of any GTS-Ts/ GT-Ts :D

33 outdated and you have a 32 :(

its only because the 33 is more common

That doesn't even make sense, it's more outdated because it's more common wtf?

The original post asked for information about YOUR car not what looks better or comments on cars you haven't owned, so many dumb kunce on here.

is he looking for a daily or a track car, or is he a smoe like me that uses it for both?

Ok ppl, back on track.

He works away, so I would assume it's going to be a daily for the time he is off. Like mine.

As for looks, I think he leans towards the 34 styling and wants some decent power. He has the cash to play and modify but I think his knowledge in mechanics may lack so may only go a body kit and minor engine bolt ons, or else Xspeed or the likes may be making some good coin when he buys something.

Honestly in the time we have talked he just wants a nice lookng car, that has balls and will pull the chickies. He was talking about a Supra with a 2JZ Auto "SLAP", different forum buddy!!

Blinky

Guys, we are forgetting they are all good cars in their realm, each have their pros and cons for whatever platform you will use one for.

If you are going to buy a GTR, do not buy one for 14k-18k.. You will plunge your self in to debt. Spend big.

With the 33s they are definitely a bang for buck bargain but far flung from my own personal preference.

The 33 GTRs are great, same diff as 32 gtr. Remember that even with the r34 series they are still a 10+ year old car and will require at least some mechanical aptitude if not a friend that has a clue.

Honestly, its all about what YOU want out of your car at the end of the day.

If you want a nicer, newer car that you may not want to spend lots of $$$ on at once, buy an r34, do some engine bolt ons etc and enjoy it.

If you want a car with a big power goal, and you are on a budget, buy an older car for 15k with a decent mod list done to it (non gtr range).

It comes down to what your goal is imo, for me, i wanted a dedicated RWD car to get into drift scene so i moved from my beloved GTR into a Silvia, which i totally adore.

Bang for buck though (if you dont care about how it looks or amount of f**kwits owning one) buy an r33, make sure its clean and ticks the boxes for you, and you can be happy for 12k-16k with a clean example, none of this peeling paint bunky shit.

Honestly in the time we have talked he just wants a nice lookng car, that has balls and will pull the chickies. He was talking about a Supra with a 2JZ Auto "SLAP", different forum buddy!!

I'm not sure any chicks are impressed by a 20-something hoon in a Skyline. :(

Edited by Tony de Wonderful

In the same topic, you guys have managed to mention "daily" and engine swaps.

That's retarded.

Want a daily, buy a shitbox, and spend as much as you see fit on a Skyline.

Why?

Because, if you think you can take to the market, with a budget, and pick up a car that was never designed to be driven on a daily basis by a pretty boy like yourself, then....you're retarded.

LOL at the "full time RWD" requirement.

About the whole "outdated" thing, ECENTRIX gets another +1 from me. His old R32 was a prime example of how spending alot of money on just the car as a base works.

My own buying experience is always to buy at the top of my budget. If I try to be sensible and buy X, when for $5k more, I can get X++, I will always be unhappy if I bought X. I do this aware of the running costs and ensuring I can run the b'stard.

So, in 2003, I bought a nice R33 GTST, probably stretching my budget, but after a lot of looking and research - and driving cars. I knew I couldn't afford an R34 GTT and even an R32 GTR was out of the question for purchase and running costs. So the R33 was the go. And it suited me for 4 years.

Then I did a lot of looking (probably for the last two years I owned the R33!) and I reckoned I had enough to afford a decent R33 GTR. I looked around with money burning a hole in my pocket and thought .. .. Hmmm, I can get an R34 GTR for not much more. Then after a lot of looking I reckoned .. .. ... Hmmm I don't want a '99 car, because there are loads of them in Oz and re-sale will be awful (loads on the interweb not selling), but 2000 and later cars moved relatively quickly and were not much more expensive. So I did more looking and research and then worked out that if I stretched my budget I could get a V Spec, or even a V Spec II or even an M Spec. I talked at length to Danny at Imports101 and he showed me a few cars .. .. .. quite a few cars. I looked at everything that was available on any website anywhere. I bid for a V Spec II Nur and just missed. I bid for a beautiful 2002 M Spec with some tasty mods and just missed. I bid for about six cars at the top of my budget. Then with Danny's guidance, I bid for a very good 2001 V Spec II - and got it.

While that was on the boat, more research saw the body kit I wanted on the way (again I had been looking at body kits and goodies for R34 GTRs for about two years!!), plus some basic under bonnet mods. Danny guided me with other stuff and assembled the whole thing.

Moral of the story is: don't let others tell you what to get. There is no short cut. Do your own research and make up your own mind.

I have done the same for every car I have ever bought. Tell your mate - If that is not what turns you on, don't bother joining an enthusiast forum, because you clearly are not an enthusiast.

Cheers. :(

P.S. I am currently looking at Aston Martins. Well, I can dream!

P.P.S. There are plenty of articles, books, threads that discuss the pros and cons of the various Skylines, against each other and against the likes of the Supra. Find them. Read them. I did.

Edited by MLCrisis

My own buying experience is always to buy at the top of my budget. If I try to be sensible and buy X, when for $5k more, I can get X++, I will always be unhappy if I bought X. I do this aware of the running costs and ensuring I can run the b'stard.

So, in 2003, I bought a nice R33 GTST, probably stretching my budget, but after a lot of looking and research - and driving cars. I knew I couldn't afford an R34 GTT and even an R32 GTR was out of the question for purchase and running costs. So the R33 was the go. And it suited me for 4 years.

Then I did a lot of looking (probably for the last two years I owned the R33!) and I reckoned I had enough to afford a decent R33 GTR. I looked around with money burning a hole in my pocket and thought .. .. Hmmm, I can get an R34 GTR for not much more. Then after a lot of looking I reckoned .. .. ... Hmmm I don't want a '99 car, because there are loads of them in Oz and re-sale will be awful (loads on the interweb not selling), but 2000 and later cars moved relatively quickly and were not much more expensive. So I did more looking and research and then worked out that if I stretched my budget I could get a V Spec, or even a V Spec II or even an M Spec. I talked at length to Danny at Imports101 and he showed me a few cars .. .. .. quite a few cars. I looked at everything that was available on any website anywhere. I bid for a V Spec II Nur and just missed. I bid for a beautiful 2002 M Spec with some tasty mods and just missed. I bid for about six cars at the top of my budget. Then with Danny's guidance, I bid for a very good 2001 V Spec II - and got it.

While that was on the boat, more research saw the body kit I wanted on the way (again I had been looking at body kits and goodies for R34 GTRs for about two years!!), plus some basic under bonnet mods. Danny guided me with other stuff and assembled the whole thing.

Moral of the story is: don't let others tell you what to get. There is no short cut. Do your own research and make up your own mind.

I have done the same for every car I have ever bought. Tell your mate - If that is not what turns you on, don't bother joining an enthusiast forum, because you clearly are not an enthusiast.

Cheers. :rofl:

P.S. I am currently looking at Aston Martins. Well, I can dream!

P.P.S. There are plenty of articles, books, threads that discuss the pros and cons of the various Skylines, against each other and against the likes of the Supra. Find them. Read them. I did.

Nail on the head, ball out of the ball park... Anything else that can be hit was just hit spot on by this