SAU Community

Pro's And Con's

Blinky101

Hi Everyone

I am still relatively new to the whole import scene but am learning all I can as quick as I can. Anyway, one of my staff has approached me with some questions. He has a wad of cash and wants to buy a HPI. Of course I reccomended a Skyline. Now what I need. I need some pro's and con's to each model listed, and also the GTR variants. As I have only ever owned and driven a 33 I am a little out of my realm.

Please list feedback about your cars, how they handle, fuel usage, performance aspects, good points and bad. What to look for etc when finding the beast of your dreams.

Please be short and sweet as he will be reading this under my login when there is some discussion and I don't want him scared by your knowledge.

Cheers Crew

Blinky

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The initial outlay for a newer model is generally offset by the things they need to fix in an older one.

R32's obviously have less torque than a 33 or 34 due to the 25 vs 20.

My car doesnt chew fuel at all, nor oil. Get 460km to a tank ~52L or so when i fill up, so thats more than your average car but not by a huge amount.

33's seem to be a bargain atm, not much more than a 32 with a 25 in them and a bit newer which may or may not be an advantage depending on the car in question.

Non GT-Rs

32's are getting old and finding a good one that hasn't been molested isn't easy.

33's...get a silver 33gtst...you'll blend in with the other boat owners.

34...That would be the go

GT-R

32...see above plus maintenance costs, if youve got the coin go for it.

33...still a boat lol

34...Still a lot of money

Non GT-Rs

32's are getting old and finding a good one that hasn't been molested isn't easy.

GT-R

33...still a boat lol

:)

Personally, I love 32 GTSt's, 33 GTSt's I didn't like the drive and 34 GTT's at the time were far too expensive. GTR's were out of the question because I wanted fulltime RWD.

If the guy has heaps of cash and a reasonable mechanical aptitude then buy whatever feels nice to drive and deal with any issues as they arise.

If mechanical aptitude is lacking then buy the newest, least modified thing he can so as to avoid excessive maintenance and labour costs.

Edited by bubba

R33's might be a boat but there still faster than an R32.

The R33 handles well with decent coilovers.

Fuel usage for me is ~420km/50L

Performance wise, meh. It's alright I suppose for someone new to turbo cars.

R33's are common (Series 2 are slightly less common than Series 1, but all series 2's seem to be either white or silver lol)

Interior's much more modern than an R32

All R33's seem to get the same problems, nothing really major though.

Bit tail happy.

Edited by Dani Boi

8-14K = R32's are lighter, and have a lower centre of gravity than R33's but the RB20 is old tech now and have little low down torque, and when you start to get power out of it it gets real laggy. I reckon the are an absolutely beautiful car from the early 1990's.

9-15K = R33's look ugly (except the GTR and the Series 2 stock kits are ok). The RB25's are nice. You can still make 350-400 HP with it still being quite responsive.

15-25K = R34's are awesome. Look great and have solid engines. Have to mess around with some emissions controls to get some power out of a standard car.

R32 GTR's are great, but still need a fair bit of money to run and own

R33 GTR's are good too

R34 GTR's are amazing, but you will need coin to enjoy the car to the fullest.

If your bro has cash. Buy a Modified R32 with a RB25 (preferebly a NEO from R34). Then you get benefits of a Light chassis with good torquey engine.

But if you buy it modified, you either buy a lemon or one that has had a lot of money thrown at it properly.

Edited by reNEGaDe88

R32's are getting a bit old in the tooth now. Everything on it will be worn, unless it has a newer engine (RB25), new clutch, brakes, shocks and springs/coilovers, fuel pump.

R33's have newer interiors and feel more solid and built inside. Look ugly unless you have a proper kit on it.

R34's are killer inside and out.

It depends what your mate wants out of a car. If he wants a weekender with large trackability, get a R32 (rwd) with a RB25.

If he wants a daily streeter get a R33 or R34.

If he wants a awesome do it all daily get a R32/R33 GTR, which you can track easily too.

If he has bulk coin get the R34 GTR, which is incredible, but still expensive and expensive to fix.

Probably don't do what I did. I intentionally bought a lemon, so I could have fun fixing it, but it's a lot of work. Still good fun though.

Also, I was really looking for a 32, but couldn't find a nice one/wasn't patient enough to, and got a 33 instead. In retrospect I'd rather have saved a bit more, and gotten a 32 GTR or something. 33's are nice and pretty much drive themselves though, but 32s mean you instantly have moral high ground =D

Oh, and I don't know about other models, but so many people have crashed/wrecked 33's that you wont want for a part that you can't find in the next decade or so.

I'm with Renegade's last suggestion, if he's got cash/patience, I'd go a 32, since they're light and just seem more fun.

All R33's seem to get the same problems, nothing really major though.

Bit tail happy.

On the contrary the HICAS makes the rear more planted right?

Couple of other things:

Only 34's have traction control right?

33's are a bit more roomy so good if you are like 6 foot plus.

Non GT-Rs

GT-R

33...still a boat lol

:blink:

Personally, I love 32 GTSt's, 33 GTSt's I didn't like the drive and 34 GTT's at the time were far too expensive. GTR's were out of the question because I wanted fulltime RWD.

If the guy has heaps of cash and a reasonable mechanical aptitude then buy whatever feels nice to drive and deal with any issues as they arise.

If mechanical aptitude is lacking then buy the newest, least modified thing he can so as to avoid excessive maintenance and labour costs.

+3 except GTR > GTST :cool:

+3 except GTR > GTST :blink:

Definitely, but it's horses for courses :cool:

Oh and srsly guy, don't turn this into a shit slinging match about what looks better, the person buying the car can make up their own minds on that.

it all depends on how much cash you got really

these days, theres alot of modified skylines out there and u may find that a nicely modified clean r33 gts-t will give you far more enjoyment than a stock r34 gt-t

after you know how much u want to spend, u have to ask yourself, what you want in a car, will it be your daily driver? etc etc

Skyline GTR R32 , R34 still look the goods but i have to agree with most of people out there ,the R33 is looking really outdated and im not a fan of any GTS-Ts/ GT-Ts :thumbsup:

Edited by NISSAN GTR