Matt Russell And Campbell's Ménage Drift Sil80 Build Project

femno

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!!

So, after me being away for 3 months...we worked extra hard yesterday because we were sure it would be ready to hit the button at some stage in the day.

I finished off the ECU wiring and power circuits...Campbell worked on the alternator wiring, we got the thermos on the rad and got the vmount back in.

post-17897-0-49951500-1318764760_thumb.jpg

We forgot about the idle air feed in the inlet cooler pipe so we had to weld that in :) after that we fitted the AFM and cooler piping.

Campbell used his fancy vacuum bleeder and we filled up the cooling system with no leaks! Bonus! We also chucked some petrol in it! (BIG milestone :))

post-17897-0-73029500-1318765139_thumb.jpg

We were ready to start it up, and after repairing our cranking circuit due to a shitty crimp, and fiddling with the fuel pump relay, 2 cranks around and it fired into life!!!

IT RUNS!!

That was on the stock ECU, just incase anything was going to blow up it wouldve been better the stocker than our PowerFC :)

After turning it straight off we plugged in the PFC, set some values and bang..away it went! Wiring was sweet, ECU turning itself off and saving all of its values :)

We are all very happy about it because its been a long time coming!

It runs like shit, as theres no option for the RB25 AFM (so we find out) and we didnt have a timing light. A quick tune and it will be mint :)

Also the turbo wheel is spinning the opposite way to what the front housing points! The front wheel is turning in the correct direction, so we will have to look into that :) hopefully we didnt buy a dodgy turbo!

Next is brakes, diff and shafts, and whatever else it needs to get driving :)

post-17897-0-94746300-1318765074_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

it drives it drives it drives, being working pretty hard the last couple of weeks and now it drives, off to the shop this weekend for an exhaust and a quick tune so we can at least drive it a lil to sort out some bugs :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, a quick update :)

After sourcing some 5 bolt drive shafts...we assembled the spool and shafts back into the car.

I also worked on the hydro e-brake one arvo to make it suitable to use the way we wanted it:

from this:

post-17897-0-61654700-1323085038_thumb.jpg

to this:

post-17897-0-23094800-1323085157_thumb.jpg

Looks good!

Mounted:

post-17897-0-67077800-1323085384_thumb.jpg

As Campbell said, we worked on the exhaust using an old s14 3.5" catback, modded that and made up a front pipe for the exhaust. Since there was no cannon on the catback we decided to use some small exhaust pipe for the tail/tip.

post-17897-0-75852300-1323085221_thumb.jpg

post-17897-0-88921600-1323085309_thumb.jpg

We also found 2 mounting holes for brackets on the underside of the plenum actually went all the way through! So we had a BIG airleak. Fixed that!

Campbell also wired up the thermo fans and temp switch, and I wired up the hektik monster tacho. Both work great!

We also pulled the gearbox and fitted a suitable bearing carrier for the twin plate. The first one we used was too long and the fork position wasnt right.

Then literally 10 minutes on the rollers doing some really quick tuning, the car now runs fantastic and motor sounds healthy!

We did however find that the turbo gives ABSOLUTELY NO BOOST!!!! So we got shafted buying that second hand turbo. I also found that the wastegate lower port had exhaust soot on the fitting....busted diaphram!!!!

So on the turbo side of things its not going well...

In other news the upper sump and timing chain covers are leaking oil. We are pulling the engine out and are going to reseal those then put it back in again, no big deal, its really easy to work on anyway.

We have ordered a BRAND NEW turbo! Y'all can wait and see what it is in further updates.

• 1 month later...

Yeah. A few days ago I moved it into the shed at my place until we have time to work on it. lol

Matt has been busy getting the GTR back on the road and I've been busy fixing up a ski boat. Campbell has been doing what Campbell does so yeah it's on the back burner again...

We'll probably get back to it in the coming months.