SAU Community

Difference Between A Garrett 2530 And Hks 2530!

Brad_32

Not sure about the differences, but I believe the 2530 is the GTRS for the RB20 (not literally, i mean as in the GTRS is good for the RB25 how the 2530 is good for the RB20) im sure others will agree

either way if u wanna send me that turbo, i guess i can find a place for it in my engine bay. i have been known to be the considerate type :down:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cartridge (inc wheels) wise the -21's are all supposed to be the same and locically the part number would differ if they weren't .

Really the differences in "GT2530's" is in the housings to suit different applications . T3 flanges for RB20/25 and T25 for SR/CA . The RB26 specific ones are supposed to have more compact turbine housings so they fit up the same as the OE twin T28's .

Compressor housings were/are also made to suit the different engines packaging requirements , the RB26 ones are essential to suit that engines unique air plumbing and have eyes to hang the fluid fittings off .

The "KAI" bit is supposed to mean having a port shrouded compressor housing which that one has and would make it more suitable for an engine with small capacity pots to prevent compressor surge . Note the RB20/25 GTRS turbo has it as well .

A .

• 4 months later...

in my ceffy im running an rb25 with a hks 2530 and starts on 14psi finishes on 10psi half tune due to boost leak im making 221rwkw. so i reckon once its tuned right ill see over 245rwkw on 17to 18ish psi

• 4 weeks later...

Just been reading this thread and want to ask a question.

I have a turbo at home with Garret front and hks rear housing. When I bought I the guy said it was the same as a hks 2530, but it was a Garret. Does this mean that it is infact a hks 2530 with the Garret front (like what Jin man mentioned earlier)? How can I determine this?where will the code numbers or plates be-had a look ad There doesn't seem to be much in the way of numbers..

Can someone help me with this? Also what are the valued at$$? Does anyone know how much a rebuild is worth?

Thanks

Just been reading this thread and want to ask a question.

I have a turbo at home with Garret front and hks rear housing. When I bought I the guy said it was the same as a hks 2530, but it was a Garret. Does this mean that it is infact a hks 2530 with the Garret front (like what Jin man mentioned earlier)? How can I determine this?where will the code numbers or plates be-had a look ad There doesn't seem to be much in the way of numbers..

Can someone help me with this? Also what are the valued at$$? Does anyone know how much a rebuild is worth?

Thanks

So basically, the old HKS 2530 is a good turbo for the RB 20 but better and more expensive is the GTRS?

• 1 year later...

Quick question on related to this old thread:

So for a Rb25 HKS 2530 if you get a CHRA for the HKS 2530 P/N 446179-21 Does that drop straight in. I.e. comes with the correct Comp and turbine wheels to suit the housings?

If you get a 2860 CHRA then you may have to change the comp wheel, or would that go straight into the 2530 housings also?

I.e. so you shouldn't need the CHRA balanced unless you change wheels?

I.e. the CHRA comes balanced

It seems the HKS specific core no. is about the same price as the 2860 core.

Thanks

Edited by benl1981

News to me , the 60mm 63 trim compressor I believe was only used in the HKS specific "GT2530" which is technically a GT2860R in todays speak .

If you didn't have anything to start with surely the GT2860RS cartridge could mimic 98% of what the 2530s can . Maybe even look at a GTX2860R .

If you really are keen on the HKS spec compressor contact GCG and ask them if they can bring in a 446179-21 cartridge and have them machine a new or used compressor housing to suit . They may even be able to source a 2530 compressor housing if you can find the part number because from memory most of them used Garrett castings .

A .

I have a single rb25 HKS2530. Was just curious options if I ever need to replace the CHRA. From what I see options are:

1. If you get the 446179-21 it has eveything the same as HKS 2530. Purely bolt up to the existing housings I have?

2.There are other GT2860 alternatives. Some of which would bolt straight in - which hyrpm seems to have done? Need to ensure 60mm compressor wheel? And these should perform about the same as the 2530 cartridge.

So shouldn't need balancing unless wheels are changed..

Thanks for that

Physically a HKS 2530 cartridge is just the same as any other GT2860R that uses the same turbine . All thats different is the compressor wheel so if you couldn't buy a -21 cartridge new you'd get yours rebuilt or ask for someone to fit your compressor to a new GT2860R cartridge .

The expensive or hard to get bits in your turbo are the compressor wheel and the turbine housing . The rest is just like any other GT25BB based Garrett center section .

A .