SAU Community

Difference Between A Garrett 2530 And Hks 2530!

Brad_32

Heys guys,

um jus brought a garrett 2530 last week with hks snail. and been readin up on the different turbos and kinda looks like the hks is the way to go! so now im un sure as to wether i should sell the turbo and get the hks! havent put it on yet as im currently in the process of rebuilding my rb20! all gunna be ready for skyline nationals! but if could please just get some advice on what turbo is better!!

cheers guys!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think there is such a thing as a Garrett 2530, if there is it would be extremly small, smaller than a standard RB20 turbo. HKS 2530's are just a Garrett 2860 chra with HKS housings(apparently flow slightly better). The 1st series still have all the usual Garrett stamps from what I have heard rather than HKS but the 2nd series has HKS labelling. Great turbo for an RB20/25 if you aren't chasing big power by the way. I have one on an RB20 and its almost as responsive as standard with 210rwkw.

Edited by Kwyjibo

hmmm the guy i brought it off said its a garrett 2530 reckons good for 230rwkw with a remap and a tune! but from wat im hearing really not sure. so yeh i wonder wat it is then lol. might have a better look at it see if theres anymore stamping on it! paid $1300 for it with braided oil lines

i dont think they woulda done a garret 2530, what does it say on the build plate?? 2530 in hks language would be a garret 2860, like kwyjibo said it would be very small

i had a HKS2540 on my 34 gt-t made 250rwkw. which by the way is for sale if your gonna buy a HKSturbo hehe little plug there :D

ill giv u 200 bucks, let you know how it goes too lol

throw up a part number off the ID tag so we can help work out what it is. HKS turbos are built from garretts so nothing new.

so i jus checked the build plate says GT2530! so guessing its a HKS 2530 with a garrett front housing! been told garrett made the front housing for them! that sound right?? oh yea the guy i got it from reckons would run safely on bout 19 or 20psi! not sure how true that is either!

im very intrested in this thread, So if i wanted a HKS 2540, but instead of me geting a HKS it would be comparison to a Garret 2860?? hmm

Man you are the excitable type arent you lol, I thought you were happy with your hypergear??

If you have the part numbers to the core and housings you want you can order the turbo through GCG. Example, call and give them the part number for the 2860R-10 with a .60 AR front cover and nissan RB specific .63 rear housing, you will end up with something extremely similar to a HKS GTRS

differences would be the HKS exhaust housing is probably better suited to the application (the GCG one is a VG30 reproduction i believe) and the HKS comp cover is port shrouded.

Make some phone calls and report back to us Geraus :thumbsup:

Giggity Giggity

hehehe, yeh i am happy, but i dont know i was watching a you tube video and the HKS GTRS sounded very and looked very responsive...... So if i wanted a hks 2540, what would i say to the Garret shop guy?? do i say 2860?

ahk sweet! yeh im currently rebuilding my motor! getting bitta work done to the head, race bearings forgies and etc... probs gtr injectors and z32 air flow meter! so 20 psi bout 240rwkw??

hehehe, yeh i am happy, but i dont know i was watching a you tube video and the HKS GTRS sounded very and looked very responsive...... So if i wanted a hks 2540, what would i say to the Garret shop guy?? do i say 2860?

2540 would be a garret 2876 I think

2530 would be a Garret 2860 I think

if the 2540 is a 2876, i dont think it would be all that RB25 friendly, a 76mm comp wheel on such a small turbo is just going to see it die too early in the rev range... while the 2530 is actually a smaller turbo its also not going to max out the hotside as quick.

food for thought.

More facts .

HKS don't make turbochargers , they get Garrett to do that .

Some time back HKS had Garrett make up turbine/compressor ball bearing cartridge combinations and had the exclusive rights to sell them . If Garrett happened to have suitable housings HKS used them , if not HKS had unique ones made to suit the application and the Garrett supplied cartridge .

Garretts turbo/cartridge numbering system has changed over the years and a good example is this GT25xx thing - ie GT2530 . Back when these turbos were new all the GT25 and GT28 series turbines were called GT25 , this is where the "GT2530" got its name though technically they are a GT2860R .

The only unique thing about the 446179-21 cartridge is the compressor wheel which is 60.1mm OD 63 trim . Garrett sell a couple of cartridges with very similarly sized compressor wheels only in 62 trim . The one from the GT2860RS has the greatest tip height AFAIK and probably performs very similar to the HKS spec Garrett GT2530 .

Different applications with the GT2530 means different housings , what suits in TT form an RB26 wouldn't suit an RB20/25 .

The single GT2530 for RB apps tends to get a generic Garrett T04B 0.60 A/R compressor housing , they make it a simpler bolt on by machining off the truck housings snout and bolt on an adapter to suit the OE rubber inlet hose . The GT2860RS usually comes with the same housing in unmodified form .

HKS had their own integral wastegate turbine housings made in T25 and T3 flange . The T25 style one has the Garrett style dump pipe flange where the T3 flanged ones were designed to suit the RB20/25's std dump pipe flange , again to make them a bolt on unit .

The HKS GT2540 is literally a GT2530 but with a 76mm T04E 46 trim compressor . You could call it a "GT2876R" but I reckon that would confuse people with the POS Garrett call a GT2876R . Neither is really a sparkling turbo but the T04E compressor is along more modern lines than the S or TB41 , don't remember which , the Garrett GT2876R has . HKS replaced the GT2540 with the GTRS which is a GT2871R 52T in HKS housings , actually the compressor housing of the GTRS in a HKS special port shrouded one in RB20/25 form or Garrett ones in SR/CA/RB26 apps .

Cheers A .