SAU Community

Difference Between A Garrett 2530 And Hks 2530!

Brad_32

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hehehe, yeh i am happy, but i dont know i was watching a you tube video and the HKS GTRS sounded very and looked very responsive...... So if i wanted a hks 2540, what would i say to the Garret shop guy?? do i say 2860?

The HKS GT2540 aka Garrett GT2876R is an AWFUL turbo. The compressor is way too big for the turbine. You will get better response and make MUCH more power with a Garrett GT3071R .63.

if a HKS 2540 is roughly equiv to the Garrett 2876R, then is the HKS 2535 closest to the Garrett 2871R?

I've always thought the 2871R was similar to the HKS GT-RS.

educate me :P

Edited by Munkyb0y

if a HKS 2540 is roughly equiv to the Garrett 2876R, then is the HKS 2535 closest to the Garrett 2871R?

I've always thought the 2871R was similar to the HKS GT-RS.

educate me :)

read the last post on page one mate, the GTRS is a 2871 52T in HKS housings. the 2535 has yet to be mentioned.

geraus, if you want to do a budget HKS equivilant turbo, HP in a box sell the GT2871R 52T turbo with a "RB" housing and S15 style comp cover for $1925. that should be hell easy to set up and I believe will net you within reasonable amount to the HKS GTRS, provided the exhaust housing is a .63..... I would be interested to see a 56T version combo'd with a .82 RB housing on an RB25 ;)

From what I've read the HKS 2540 is ok but not well matched to an RB20/25. the HKS2530 is good for about 230kw at 18-19psi, the 2540 about 240kw but apparently its much less responsive. What turbo you decide on should depend on what you use the car for.

I've been in NEO powered car with a 2540 untuned, and the response and power was awesome! (seat of the pants feeling). I don't know how people can say they are laggy or whatever lol. I'm pretty sure you can only buy a GTRS new though.

From reading some of the other threads, some people say tha GTRS is awesome for RB25, others say that you need to lean on it too much in terms of boost pressure and revving to get it making power, which is why I lean more towards the 2835.

From reading some of the other threads, some people say tha GTRS is awesome for RB25, others say that you need to lean on it too much in terms of boost pressure and revving to get it making power, which is why I lean more towards the 2835.

nonsense, look thru the dyno results thread... lost of ppl making 200+ before 5000 and hardly anyone under 250kw with sensible boost. If your aiming for 250kw, no more, I say GTRS is cream, 270+ 2835/3071 but then you run into other issues (money n that).

had to read that a few times lol. but yeh thats good to know man cheers! cos yeh when i brought was lik wat the heck had garrett on the front and hks on the bak! by the sounds of it the 2530 is a good turbo for a rb20! i dont want lag which this doesnt :)

well I'm just going off not only the dyno thread but the turbo specific thread that I dug up last night, most of the concerns were of the type that you're having to stuff 18 odd psi into an RB25DET to get 250 odd rwkw, and they apparently have the weakest pistons of any RB motor.

Does the HKS2540 still runs of a .64 turbine housing in a T3x RB25det OEM print or some thing bigger?

I think I can make some thing extremely similar if that is.

Dont bother, 2540 is not a good combo.

make some 2871 52trim .60 front .64 rear, that is the better combo.

well I'm just going off not only the dyno thread but the turbo specific thread that I dug up last night, most of the concerns were of the type that you're having to stuff 18 odd psi into an RB25DET to get 250 odd rwkw, and they apparently have the weakest pistons of any RB motor.

18psi is not an issue, ive saved a few sheets for personal reference. once you run too much boost you start to choke up top. None of the graphs I have saved have any issue hitting 250, and the area under the curve is enormous. plus they go right to top revs before they dare tail off let alone redline, an excellent turbo.

as for 18psi and weak pistons, sounds like good gospel. Boost is a tangent like fuel and timing, any of the above can create nonsense combustion temps and pressure on the motor if out of proportion. Boost itself doesnt kill the motor, the tune does, seen 170000k CA eat 20psi for years to come daily on OEM bottom end. Good tune to say the least, its still running, has been a regular drift cop since 08 and been running 20psi since 2005.

well I spose you'd also have to look at the amount in CFM of air literally going into the motor rather than boost itself. I'd had a look at some of the graphs too, nice power curves, starting to toss up the idea of having a 2835 to get 250rwkw, but then in my experiences the more boost being run, the more risk of leaking cooler pipes and other such shenanighans.

The GT"2540" only used a 0.64 A/R turbine housing in "T3" footprint because thats all HKS had made , stupidly didn't do a 0.86 A/R one as well .

Garrett do both sizes but only in T25 sized mount flange .

I wouldn't bother recreating the 2540 because it was never a good thing IMO , you really have to wonder when you pull a small comp cover off a turbo and find a 76mm T04E wheel ...

The GT2871R 52T used in the GTRS units is definitely a step in the right direction .

The GT"2835" , or as they are now known GT3071R , move up to the GT30 turbine family and in this cropped turbine form tend to work best in a GT30 based turbine housing .

Hopefully one day Garrett will have their GT30 IW turbine housings machined to suit these 56.6mm cropped GT30 turbines and we will have affordable turbos along the lines of HKS's GT2835 Pro S ones . Who knows , maybe they can be machined to take a sleeve and the sleeve machined to take the 56.6mm turbine . Throw in a comp housing altered to take the surge slot and holes and suddenly you have a cheaper competitor to HKS's GT2835 Pro S .

Don't quote me but maybe a 0.63 GT30 IW housing on a 56T cropped GT3071R cartridge with a surge modified T04B truck cover may make a nice sort of bolt on for a sensible street R33 RB25 .

A .

Edited by discopotato03

Don't quote me but maybe a 0.63 GT30 IW housing on a 56T cropped GT3071R cartridge with a surge modified T04B truck cover may make a nice sort of bolt on for a sensible street R33 RB25 .

Boost control, the 3071 and .63 IW are not a good combo for it as far as results go.. but an extremely good turbo if they were haha.

Good to see your confidence in the 2835 also, I may want to revisit that as the price really isnt too bad.

The turbobygarrett site shows two of them the difference being turbine trim .

84T version - turbo no 700382- 3 cartridge no 700177-3 .

90T version - turbo no 700382-20 cartridge no 700177-4 .

In that form they have a machined out , bastardised , GT28 turbine housing and a std snout 0.50 A/R T04E compressor housing .

My gut feeling is that one of those cartridges in a suitably machined GT30 IW turbine housing may fill the gap between the GTRS (GT2871R 52T) and the GT3076R . HKS had such a thing and called it GT2835 Pro S , if Garrett housings can be used then very likely a cheaper alternative .

The main issue is getting whoever casts and machines those Garrett GT30 IW housings to take less out of the center for the slightly smaller , cropped , GT30 turbine wheel . The std or full sized GT30 UHP turbine is approx 59.9 by 54.9mm and the cropped ones around 56.6 by either 51.8 or 53.6 for 84 and 90 trim versions of this turbine .

My HKS specs quotes GT2835's rated at 410 PS in normal form or 420 in GT Pro S form . By normal I mean in a HKS supplied T25 flanged GT30 turbine housing in 0.61 or 0.73 A/R . From memory they don't have port shrouded compressor housings .

My spec sheet quotes the GT2835 Pro S (T3 flanged RB20/25 bolt on) as having a 0.68 A/R turbine housing and the port shrouded compressor housing , power rating is 420 PS or roughly 420 Hp/315 Kw .

Note the smallest Garrett GT30 IW turbine housing is 0.63 A/R vs 0.68 for the HKS one .

The point of all this is to spin the turbine and compressor a little faster for the available exhaust energy than the 60 x 55mm full sized GT30 turbine can .

A .