SAU Community

Drag Racing Times

Kichy

Hello Guys,

My mate here at work came to me with a set of figures produced by his friend's newest toy for drag racing.

This toy is apparently a computer you plug on to your cigarrette lighter on the car and somehow (I am sure there is at least one more cable he isn't telling me about) this computer measures how long it takes for the car to reach each interval of 10 Km/h.

Then he said to me, that the car to win the drag race is not necessarily the fastest car at every point of the race, so he wanted to know what was the distance covered by the car at different time intervals rather than speed intervals.

And so, thanks to some vague memories of high school physics and the geniuses on the internet who seem to have an Excel formula for everything you want to do I produced the spreadsheet I attached.

All you need to change is the values on the coloured cells (i.e. time taken to reach each increment of 10 Km/h, what time intervals you want to find [1 second, ½ seconds, etc]); everything else is automatically calculated. I have protected the spreadsheet so you don't accidentally muck up the formulae, but you can unprotect it without the need for a password.

You can get a lot more detailed information from computers already available in the market which you can take from your car and plug into USB on your PC...shweeeeet! But if like these guys all you have is speed increments and times, then you can use this free spreadsheet that I put together with the assistance of the most awesome Excel geeks in the planet.

By the way, the figures on the spreadsheet belong to a Subaru WRX STI VIII 1997 (stock standard).

Have fun, and keep racing.

Velocity.xls

Edited by Kichy

Hello everyone,

Here are the results for my mate's car.

1995 Toyota Soarer - 2.5L V6 Twin Turbo

1 second 5.56 m

2 seconds 21.25 m

3 seconds 42.50 m

4 seconds 66.81 m

5 seconds 94.17 m

6 seconds 125.42 m

7 seconds 160.14 m

8 seconds 196.53 m

9 seconds 236.25 m

10 seconds 278.19 m

11 seconds 322.36 m

12 seconds 368.75 m

13 seconds 417.36 m

Awesome! :)

Hello everyone,

Here are the results for my mate's car.

1995 Toyota Soarer - 2.5L V6 Twin Turbo

1 second 5.56 m

2 seconds 21.25 m

3 seconds 42.50 m

4 seconds 66.81 m

5 seconds 94.17 m

6 seconds 125.42 m

7 seconds 160.14 m

8 seconds 196.53 m

9 seconds 236.25 m

10 seconds 278.19 m

11 seconds 322.36 m

12 seconds 368.75 m

13 seconds 417.36 m

Awesome! :laugh:

Where's the 402m time?

At around 175kph...

BTW, V6 twin turbo? :(

1JZ engine, my apologies, it's a straight six rather than a V6. I feel like an (_(_)

The quarter-mile time was 12.56. I will try and get the car specs.