SAU Community

Cruise control

Has anyone installed a cruise control on an R33. What brand, supplier etc and most important, does it work.

Asked about Nissan ones [eg ex Maxima, pulsar etc], but nobody seems to be able to give a first hand account or answer.

Be handy for trips down the Hume or Sturt Highway's etc.

The R33 had a factory optional cruise control. There is a light for it in the dash. I dont know how hard it would be to scavange one of these units from a wreck but thats what I would try and do.

Tried that, talked to Darrin at Just Jap, and yeah, he agreed that there is *some* provision for one in the R33, but he'd never seen one fitted.

Even in the owners handbook they mention how to operate the cruise control [where fitted].

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind cruise as well.....the only one i have heard about is an aftermarket unit that interfaces with speed sensor and tps directly (no need to hook up the throttle cable etc). The controls are radio (or iR?) and can be steering wheel mounted.

Anyone know the company that makes these?

Supercheap in Qld carry one....but it connects up via the throttle cable. I had it half set up but now i've changed to a front throttle body i'll have to start again. Fairly low on the priority list at the moment.

hey i was desprate for cruise control too, cos i do heaps of freeway driving etc... but i had another idea...

what about getting an adjustable speed limiter? that way you could have it off for track days :D max speed >180KM/hr and you could say adjust it to 110km/hr for freeway? then you would just have to hold the accelerator? so its not comlete cruse control but it would help? you could also set it for 60km in the city etc...?

Supercheap in Qld carry one....but it connects up via the throttle cable.  I had it half set up but now i've changed to a front throttle body i'll have to start again. Fairly low on the priority list at the moment.

Jay do you have any more details on this?

Brand? Price? Ease of installation?

You can use the cheap one they sell at autobarn/supercheap, around 200 gets you the complete kit, I have used one for years and had no trouble, in fact, I think these units are more accurate than MANY factory ones.

Its a vacumn one, meaning, it has a vacumn line from the manifold, (thru a one way valve) to a pair of valves and a large diaphram connected to a cable - to your throttle.

You also put in a pickup coil and magnets on yoru tailshaft.

I went one step further and put on two racy looking push buttons on my steering wheel, wired them up to a small UHF transmitter key and hid that in my steering wheel. Wired up the UHF reciever unit under the dash, to the cruise control unit, and wallah, working cruise control.

When activated, the unit takes over control of the speed and keeps it on the speed you set it at + or - 1km/hr. Preddy darn accurate if you ask me. I dont know how I lived without it.

stimps,

Does this $200 kit includes sensor to disengage the cruise control when you step on your brake or push your clutch pedal (in manual cars)?

Also does it have memory resume?

yes and yes

altho, for a manual car, you have to install a switch on your clutch pedal so it drops the unit out when you put your foot on the clutch (simple limit switch, any electrician can show you)

this extra switch does not come with the basic unit. You can order one, but its cheaper just to get a limit switch from dick smith electronics and use that.

Be handy for trips down the Hume or Sturt Highway's etc.

hehe... just did those highways last week (Canb-Adelaide).. THANK GOD we were in a car with cruise control...would have been hell without it!

Hi guys

rs73 wasn't quite correct, the one I installed was on a R34, not a R33 - but it would work fine on a R33 as well.

.. and the biggest difference you get between the cheaper and more expensive cruise control is how good they work, ie how constant the spead is, particularly overshooting at the top of a hill and slowing down at the start of the hill.. I'm not sure why this is so - it could be the electronics, or it might be the precision of the device moving the throttle cable - but I've found the rostra one to work better than any cruise control I've ever used on any car...

Ian

Damn I was really wanting a Cruise Control fitted to my manual R33 just to help prevent speeding fines and also to stop my ankle from going to sleep but after looking at Ian's thread it looks like you won't get change from $1,000 :)

If it was <$300 i'd get it instantly but $1,000 .... I gotta do afew more important things first.

Benm - Then get the command cruise unit from autobarn....they work great.

Like Ive said before I've used one for years and years and swear by them.

I think poeple have to also realise that when you install any cruise control, It must be calibrated to the road properly, or it will overshoot and not stay accurate.