SAU Community

Another Thread About Careers

eMsta

Not really, not enough to throw 15k at a built RB26 with turbo setup. :happy:

The main benefit for me is the lower taxes in Singapore and no living expenses (accom) The long weeks mean i dont really have time to spend time and money doing things i enjoy. There is just enough in the social aspects of being central in Asia that makes it all worthwhile, and when that pressure relief valve pops, oh it pops

But real interested to read how those have found career changes in their 30s, as when i come home to Aus my industry will all but have moved to Asia , so its something in the back of my mind

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finish your CPA - from what I've read it seems you have gone quite far - nothing wrong with having an extra qualification regardless if you follow your accounting career or do something totally un-related/different. I'd say it would give you the edge over most people out there as the workforce now demands "multi-skilled" people and it would also serve as a fallback in case things turn to poo (hope not).

I work in I.T for an international manufacturing company - It's a love/hate relationship with the job as a whole and has left me at a crossroads too.

Love:

Dealing with the latest technology at times.

Flexible hours when I require it.

Job status

Knowing I get to work with computer controlled manufacturing equipment worth millions of dollars which the business relies on. (Power "high" I guess hahaha)

Safe place to park my Skyline :happy:

Dealling with awesome team members and "some" users.

Lunch only costs me $3 - Company subsidised.

Company pays for my milage when driving to and from work - so I almost drive my car for free... but (refer below)

Hate:

The long distance I need to travel and traffic. Driving time is roughly 1.25 to 1.5 hours - one way - the rare occassion 2 hour drive. Driving is exhausting. 3 hours wasted on the road!

Pay is average - I'm comfortable (lucky I live with my folks) and get to do most things I want - but not enough money to go out and start buying my own home, considering the price of property these days.

Working with some end users who are "know it all" but have no f***** idea or whinge and whine at anything and everything. Also the users that want everything "NOW".

Work does get boring most days - as most of it is routine.

So weighing up my options too...

Not really, not enough to throw 15k at a built RB26 with turbo setup. :P

The main benefit for me is the lower taxes in Singapore and no living expenses (accom) The long weeks mean i dont really have time to spend time and money doing things i enjoy. There is just enough in the social aspects of being central in Asia that makes it all worthwhile, and when that pressure relief valve pops, oh it pops

But real interested to read how those have found career changes in their 30s, as when i come home to Aus my industry will all but have moved to Asia , so its something in the back of my mind

id be interested to hear about that too i often think of changing to somthing else but i would be lucky to get 60-80k which is a massive pay cut.. :happy:

I work in I.T for an international manufacturing company - It's a love/hate relationship with the job as a whole and has left me at a crossroads too.

Love:

Dealing with the latest technology at times.

Flexible hours when I require it.

Job status

Knowing I get to work with computer controlled manufacturing equipment worth millions of dollars which the business relies on. (Power "high" I guess hahaha)

Safe place to park my Skyline :happy:

Dealling with awesome team members and "some" users.

Lunch only costs me $3 - Company subsidised.

Company pays for my milage when driving to and from work - so I almost drive my car for free... but (refer below)

Hate:

The long distance I need to travel and traffic. Driving time is roughly 1.25 to 1.5 hours - one way - the rare occassion 2 hour drive. Driving is exhausting. 3 hours wasted on the road!

Pay is average - I'm comfortable (lucky I live with my folks) and get to do most things I want - but not enough money to go out and start buying my own home, considering the price of property these days.

Working with some end users who are "know it all" but have no f***** idea or whinge and whine at anything and everything. Also the users that want everything "NOW".

Work does get boring most days - as most of it is routine.

So weighing up my options too...

Sounds like my I.T role and position in life.

Catch 22 moving closer I spsect, a decent place to store and work on the car requires property, which close to work is expensive let along getting into the market in the outer burbs.