SAU Community

To Motorbike Owners (well Not Limited Too Lol)

JamesK

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dude, so your saying some one that has never riden a road bike should just jump on a big bike straight away? That's like telling a P plater here's a 600HP skyline. I had an older model GSXR600 offered to me cheap for my first bike and ended up not getting it. I can tell you right now if i had purchased that bike as my first bike i would have crashed it, no doubt.

Hahha the problem is that P platers are buying turbo cars ALL THE TIME when they shouldn't be like I said before buying a bike is SERIOUSLY different to buying a car, you can have steep learning curve with a car and be alright but if you cant do that with a bike you NEED steps otherwise your going to kill yourself

True that. You spin out a car while learning, no biggie. You get into a slide on a bike while learning, your dead.

Lol this shit sounds scary :S

But I really wanna get a bike lol.

So for someone that has never rode a bike before (except my little BMX almost 8years ago), should I be getting a road bike (something like a ninja 250) as a first/learning bike?...

I had never riden a road bike before (only dirtbikes and that was a while ago). I bought my 250 bike, got it dropped off to me at home, jumped on it and learnt riding it around my block. Couple of weeks later went to the full day Q-RIDE course (not sure what you guys have in Victoria, probably something similar) where they teach you everything, passed it and got my license.

Edited by PM-R33

Why do I feel like banging my head against a wall?

Where the weight is??? Dude argh, I'm not even going to try to start to explain to you how this basic shit works.

I sell Michelin motorcycle tyres and other motorcycle products for a living. I work for Nicky Hayden and Wayne Gardners ex GP Mechanic and an Australian Superbike champion, I learnt this from them, it's validated. Trust me they would not be here if this stuff I was saying was incorrect.

You think you're banging you head against a wall? Consider for a second that I feel like you, then times it by 100. I explain this shit repeatedly to people all day.

Where the weight is??? Dude argh, I'm not even going to try to start to explain to you how this basic shit works.

I sell Michelin motorcycle tyres and other motorcycle products for a living. I work for Nicky Hayden and Wayne Gardners ex GP Mechanic and an Australian Superbike champion, I learnt this from them, it's validated. Trust me they would not be here if this stuff I was saying was incorrect.

You think you're banging you head against a wall? Consider for a second that I feel like you, then times it by 100. I explain this shit repeatedly to people all day.

You must work for GAS huh?:)

I work for a multi-millionaire electrician. Guess what? I know nothing about electricity and I'm not a millionaire.

And again, the road and the track are two completely separate animals. Having a touch more unsprung weight and higher gyroscopic effect is bad on the track, cause it makes bikes harder to turn and harder to suspend, but on the road it helps to make a bike more stable and less twitchy on less than perfect surfaces.

The crux of my argument still stands. On the road a 1000 will be easier to ride than than a 600, be it fast or slow. They require less effort to cruise around on and the torque makes them easier to ride fast from point to point. Thanks to a touch more weight than a 600 they will also be more settled when cornering and less twitchy over bumps in the road.

anything less than 3 wheels is a compromise i say....you really need one of these puppies,ive got these 2 to choose from the yellow one has a broken rear fender and the front tyre is like new :) oh and be sure to renew your life insurance!

gallery_2711_155_36851.jpg

gallery_2711_155_26436.jpg

gallery_2711_155_60205.jpg

Edited by ylwgtr2

Look at the stats...They account for like only 5% of road users but account for 30% of road deaths... Thats what they told me when i did my bike license... I loveeeeeeee my bikes n hav a dirtbike n had a GSXR 600 04 model for a year, sooo much fun but nearly died half dozen times from other stupid drivers.... So i sold it.. I guess it all comes down to calculated risks in life and to me as much as i love bikes it's probs just too dangerous to ride on the road.. Sure we take risks, driving etc everyday but we can minimze the risks we take aswell.... Im a nurse and have worked in a neuro ward for 6 months and about 75% all pt's there where from bike accidents..... So the amount of diasbled effected ppl from bikes would be substantial aswell....In my opinion as awesome as they are and the rush u get it's just not worth it.....Think about your family too..lol My mum actually cried when she saw me pull up on my bike for the first time... If u like the feeling of thinking u could die at any second just keep ridin the dirt bike... Cause u probs will end up dead ridin like that on the road.................

Well said mate. Not to scare anyone away from getting a bike but they really should consider this. It's hard to decide between getting enough practice in all kinds of conditions / keeping your reflexes sharp...and restricting yourself to occasional riding to reduce the risk. No matter how good a rider you think you are that won't remove the idiocy of other people. Count every idiot you see on the road in a car throughout the course of daily driving - every one of these is a potential death sentence on a bike. And you notice an awful lot more idiots when you're on a bike. If you've ever had a car accident, even a minor one, you know how easy an accident can happen without you even seeing it - on a bike you come off and bitumen is not soft. Everyone who has ridden for a couple of years on the road, ALL of them will have had their share of scares or falls. Anyone who hasn't probably hasn't ventured outside of their street. When you go for your first ride on the road and you sit up alongside a car at 80km/h, the reality of it hits you as to how small and fragile the human body is. All I'm saying is be aware of the risks and always think of your loved ones should the temptation to do something stupid on a bike cross your mind, even if you decide to go ahead and do it, because that very well could be your last thought. Most riders I have met have a certain sense of apathy towards life and the associated risks, along the lines of "I live each day as if it were my last, there's no point living if you don't take risks". If you're nothing like that, then stay away from bikes :laugh:

My number one rule when riding is to keep the f*** away from cars at all times. As in, take off from the lights to get ahead of traffic and stay there. I stick in the left lane too because if I'm going to get hit by a car I'd sooner be merged into a curb than oncoming traffic or underneath other cars. I hate seeing irresponsible riders. Worst of all are the f*** wits who queue jump when the traffic is moving - the idea that they put their life in danger and they would f*** up someone elses with a lifetime of guilt if they get taken out because of their own stupidity. Actually, scratch that, worst of all are the guys with a helmet...a singlet...some shorts...and a pair of thongs.

Dude, so your saying some one that has never riden a road bike should just jump on a big bike straight away? That's like telling a P plater here's a 600HP skyline. I had an older model GSXR600 offered to me cheap for my first bike and ended up not getting it. I can tell you right now if i had purchased that bike as my first bike i would have crashed it, no doubt.

You don't know that you would have crashed it because you never gave it a go. Riding a 250 road bike 4 stoke is like riding a lawnmover powered pushie.. Even Vicroad is finally getting it with the restricted 600's vs 250's.

Dirt bike moves around a million times more than a road bike. A P plater could drive a 600hp skyline easily with throttle control. Bike are the same with the right hand. If he's ridden a dirt bike he can ride a big road bike. Don't really see what your all fussing about a bike is a bike. Just buy one and ride it. Doesn't matter if its a 250 or a 1300. There all the similar to ride. Two wheels and all the controls are in the same position.

You all need to stop keyboard bashing and get out there and give it a go.

Ash the Ducati's do look and sound awesome but from what I've heard thats about all their good for. If somebody was go give me one cheap I wouldn't say no though.

Troy that Russian chick might be on my fettish list. I noticed the hole in the cast. MMM.... Very Nice!

Yep, a bike is a bike, a 2 stroke dirt bike is exactly the same to ride as a 1300 Hayabusa. You gotta be f**king kidding me.

And not sure what you mean about all of us keyboard bashing and needing to get out there and give it a go considering nearly every one posting in this thread rides bikes :laugh:

Edited by PM-R33

Yep, a bike is a bike, a 2 stroke dirt bike is exactly the same to ride as a 1300 Hayabusa. You gotta be f**king kidding me.

And not sure what you mean about all of us keyboard bashing and needing to get out there and give it a go considering nearly every one posting in this thread rides bikes :ermm:

I think what he meant, and to whit I agree, is that a bike only goes as fast as your right hand allows it. Regardless of if it's a Eyeabuser or a chook chaser. If things are getting out of control or a little scary, don't twist the wrist so hard. It's really not that difficult.

And as for the scaredy cats banging on about statistics and dying and shit, put it into perspective. You've got more change of being struck down by prostate cancer in your 40s than you do of dying on a motorbike. What would you rather do, pack yourself in cotton wool for fear of a long shot chance of being seriously hurt or killed, or actually live a little and enjoy the short time that you have on earth?

I've been a road user from since probably your parents were your age so I've had lots of experience.

I a nutshell off road is ftw. Fast while not being REALLY fast. Plummeting down a fire access track in the power band in top gear only meters away from trees, rocks and the edges of the track is a real buzz.

Over the decades I did it I came off most rides (that how you tell how fast you can go) and only broke bones once. Off road riders rarely get killed or badly injured although it does happen. Mind you that can happen just walking down the road.

On road is ftl. I've had a number of friends/relatives badly damaged by riding on road.

Myself I have only had one incident which stopped me riding on road altogether. But the chances are you will come off or hit something eventually.

Sure it's a cheap and convenient way to travel but one day something really bad is going to happen. And most of the time you wont see it coming.

On road riders routinely get killed or badly injured sad but true.

This is just my opinion re motor bikes. I still have a DRZ400E. Great bike I must clean it up and ride it more.

I think what he meant, and to whit I agree, is that a bike only goes as fast as your right hand allows it. Regardless of if it's a Eyeabuser or a chook chaser. If things are getting out of control or a little scary, don't twist the wrist so hard. It's really not that difficult.

And as for the scaredy cats banging on about statistics and dying and shit, put it into perspective. You've got more change of being struck down by prostate cancer in your 40s than you do of dying on a motorbike. What would you rather do, pack yourself in cotton wool for fear of a long shot chance of being seriously hurt or killed, or actually live a little and enjoy the short time that you have on earth?

Ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A - the kind of motorcyclist I was talking about in my last post. Not saying that there's anything wrong with this kind of attitude...each to their own...but in the same respect, please don't criticise others for giving people warning of how dangerous it is - because it is, no matter how dangerous the rest of life can be.

There's no harm in reducing some risks in life and still having fun. It's like saying "why bother wearing a seatbelt when you're driving, because you have more chance of developing cancer than dying in a car accident".