SAU Community

Possible move south :D

46n2

Thought I'd pop in and say Hi to all :)

I'm a brisbanite who'll shortly be shipping myself south (next couple of months - work pending) :(

I'm thinking of moving into the footscray area, otherwise it'll be Box Hill/Blackburn.

Few q's :)

How's the cruise / motorsport / drift scene in Melb??? I want to get stuck into track days and hill climbs more when I get there. Which tracks (and where) have open sprint days and the like?

What is the police-import relationship? do they beat us with sticks? or let us play somewhat?

Are pod's legal in VIC? Is VIC Roads the best place to go thru to ensure my car's legal so I don't have to worry about defects?

Cheers,

Michael

Yowch :( cops are really that bad... How about defects? are they quick to throw that pad on your bonnet and write you up?

Yah, I used to live in Blackburn and I've got a few friends there too. I know the area fairly well (but I'll be buggered if I can remember the names of most of the streets :) )...

Melbourne is great... apart from the weather. I think you will find that as long as you join the right car clubs, you will get to spend plenty of time on the tracks.. only problem is they are a fair drive out of town.

Tightarseness of cops is pretty similar to QLD. Dont rice your car up too much and u wont have too many problems with defects. When you bring your car down, you dont need to get a RWC. Just need to chuck it on a weighbridge, hand in your old qld plates and pickup vic plates... so no worries there.

Dave

Tracks - Sandown (2 clubs I'm associated with have driver training days each year). Lots of events at Phillip Island (1.5 hrs from Blackburn (south)) and Winton (2.5 hrs from Blackburn (north)). Then there's Morwell Hillclimb (1.5 hrs from Blackburn (east)).

If you want access to these tracks, I'd recommend Nissan Datsun Sports Owners Club (I'm the secretary, so I'm a bit biased).

Cops are OK if you behave yourself (been followed by cops, they never bothered me, despite the GT-R wing on the back, because I didn't do anything stupid).

As Jet-33 said.... Move to blackburn.....

I wouldnt live in footscray if i armed every dodgey ass mofo i knew with an ak47 each to protect me :bahaha:

they are all dodgy, move to Toorak :(

nah seriously, most melb suburbs arent too bad... most 'pov' suburbs still have really nice houses etc... usually nicer than inner city expensive suburbs.

guess somebody's gotta move down there to make u for all the people leaving..

debateable c_dawg.. you will probably get away with it unless its something too obvious. Just say you're on "holidays" ....for 12 months :rofl:

"wouldnt live in footscray if i armed every dodgey ass mofo i knew with an ak47 each to protect me " lol - advice taken heh...

Tx Blind Elk :rofl: I'll be at as many track days as possible - all going well ;)

"If you keep your QLD Plates can they defect you?" - rego's $200 cheaper in VIC...I think I'll just be changing my rego over ;)

Should I get an alarm...how's auto theft in Melb

Not sure an alarm is such a useful accessory - had some little junkie sit inside the car and remove the radio; all the time, the alarm siren must have been having a fit, of course, no-one paid the slightest attention, but then it was at a rail station.