SAU Community

Does It Feel Like Your R33 Is Outdated?

for those disagreeing about the comfort of the commodore (or falcon for that matter) over the skyline, i had a 33, 180sx and VX commodore. when lowered the skyline rode much better than the 180 round the rough roads here, but the commodore was still a much nicer ride. and i'm not just talking about suspension here. i'm talking about the seats. i have a dodgy back and after about 90 mins of driving the skyline, the 180sx, the missus SSS pulsar (seats were very similar to the 33 seats) and a few other cars i start to get pain. the commodore seats i could spend 4 hours in them and not get any pain at all. they are like a big comfy lounge chair. they aren't some sporty seat to hold you in round corners. they are the sort of seat designed to make long journeys comfortable.

That's interesting... because I grew up riding shot gun in my fathers Commodore and quite seriously, I've never liked it.

My friend got a commodore recently, and the first thing I noticed is how uncomfortable I found the seats.

I know it's a matter of personal choice, but it's just interesting that someone with a back problem found the commodore more comfortable than the 33, I always thought the 33 would win it.

Curiously, was it an GTR or GTS/GTST?

Dear god, please do not get a commodore, they are trouble, every one i know who has them has had a whole range of probs fom transmission, diff, radiator, oil and even the bloody door handles.

Get some nice wheels, skirts, lowering springs, 2.5" exhaust, K&N panel filter, give the thing a polish with something decent like meguires wet look or something (including head lamps coz it brings em' up like new) then see what it looks like to your mates vz or whatever it was. I know R33s are common but compared to commodores its nothing, and its good to see them in the country where they're even less common and standing out from the crowd of every other "hectic" commodore. Just my opinion though...

That's interesting... because I grew up riding shot gun in my fathers Commodore and quite seriously, I've never liked it.

My friend got a commodore recently, and the first thing I noticed is how uncomfortable I found the seats.

I know it's a matter of personal choice, but it's just interesting that someone with a back problem found the commodore more comfortable than the 33, I always thought the 33 would win it.

Curiously, was it an GTR or GTS/GTST?

it was a GTST. it comes down to a few things, better lumbar support, angle adjustment on the base of the seat as well as reach adjustable steering (not just height adjustable steering)

Dear god, please do not get a commodore, they are trouble, every one i know who has them has had a whole range of probs fom transmission, diff, radiator, oil and even the bloody door handles.

Get some nice wheels, skirts, lowering springs, 2.5" exhaust, K&N panel filter, give the thing a polish with something decent like meguires wet look or something (including head lamps coz it brings em' up like new) then see what it looks like to your mates vz or whatever it was. I know R33s are common but compared to commodores its nothing, and its good to see them in the country where they're even less common and standing out from the crowd of every other "hectic" commodore. Just my opinion though...

how do they treat them though? i've owned commodores, and had plenty of mates who have owned many commodores (i live in a bogan town) and the only ones who have had any real issues are the ones who thrash the hell out of them.

My Dad's boss got a crewman ute (vz i think?) and at 50,000km it dropped a valve and the piston punched it out of the motor so a new motor went in and just recently the LSD shat itself and that thing does'nt get thrashed.

My brothers commodore (i'll admit its got about 200,000km) just replaced the transmission on his because the tourque converter seal went south and cooked the gear box.

And Ive never seen a commodore that has had the central locking fully working (except my Dad's VX which he bought about a year ago), I've also seen alot of head gasket problems in the 3.8l commodores.

You rarely hear about these problems in skylines (from my experiance anyways, others may have different experiences), to me they seem to be a much better build quality than a commodore, dont get me wrong, I do think that they are a good car in their own right, they're tough, good handling and comfortable for a family car as long as they are left standard, but they are'nt a performance car, again thats my opinion and anyones aloud to think what they want.

Edited by Keith w

dont even bother with aussie build quality...

i currently got a ba xr6 on lpg for a daily and im always working on it... weather it be a new shaft for the heater (whole dash board out) to fitting a transmission cooler (4 spd autos fail) they just fail...

sure they look good from factory but id stick to the skyline!

p.s my xr6 on gas beats vt 5ltrs so theres nothing special about the holdens lol

My Dad's boss got a crewman ute (vz i think?) and at 50,000km it dropped a valve and the piston punched it out of the motor so a new motor went in and just recently the LSD shat itself and that thing does'nt get thrashed.

My brothers commodore (i'll admit its got about 200,000km) just replaced the transmission on his because the tourque converter seal went south and cooked the gear box.

And Ive never seen a commodore that has had the central locking fully working (except my Dad's VX which he bought about a year ago), I've also seen alot of head gasket problems in the 3.8l commodores.

You rarely hear about these problems in skylines (from my experiance anyways, others may have different experiences), to me they seem to be a much better build quality than a commodore, dont get me wrong, I do think that they are a good car in their own right, they're tough, good handling and comfortable for a family car as long as they are left standard, but they are'nt a performance car, again thats my opinion and anyones aloud to think what they want.

i currently got a ba xr6 on lpg for a daily and im always working on it... weather it be a new shaft for the heater (whole dash board out) to fitting a transmission cooler (4 spd autos fail) they just fail...

p.s my xr6 on gas beats vt 5ltrs so theres nothing special about the holdens lol

Why is it, that my family has had a Ea falcon since 1992 and nothing ever went wrong with it! apart from the normal car mantinence stuff (suspension bushes clutch timing chain etc)

Also have a BA and BF XR6 currently and nothing has ever gone wrong.

but my R33 went through 3 engines in 3 years, clutch pivot ball broke etc etc

Im sorry but the aussie cars just keep going and going and going, sure the odd one has a few problems.

the problems above..well one was obv a work ute

and how many of the BTR 4 speed falcon autos have I seen fail....NONE! including those with 150000ks+ and running 11s behind turbo/supercharged 4 & 5 Litre motors

And the fact that my mate just bought a mint BF GT-P for $25k has sealed the deal that I will never buy another Skyline (exept maybe a GTR for track duties)

thats pretty lucky in that case... my transmission on my old ea blew so i bought myself a ba xr6... they are good cars for putting alot of kms on.... but a headache when it comes to maintenance.

all my friends who have b series fords have experienced all of there common problems including the heater shaft and the rear diff bushers making the thud

also have a mate with a 200kw eb 5ltr who just spent 2.5k rebuilding his transmission and is still worried that it wont handle the supercharger thats soon to be added..

on the other hand the 6 speed auto/manuals are alot better :)

dont worry bout it mate, i cop shit for mine being an old piece of ricer crap on a daily basis at work and i have a 34...just look at the fact that if u spent as much money modifying your 33 as the extra they spent buying a VE etc than urs would look a million times better... btw the latest shit ive been copping at work is that my bosses cars would beat mine in a race and they have a bentley continental, an audi rs6?? i think it is and a brand new m3...point is mate that for the years they were made the skylines are right at the top of the class, but ignorant people just make ridiculous comparisons with them all the time, maybe we should be flattered :thumbsup:

I wanted to get rid of the gtst and get into a clubby vz had my eye, quite liked the look 0f them. made my mind up and went down the the auto yard and had a sit in it, took me about 2 seconds to totally hate it. held onto my gtst for another 6 months and then just bought the GTR :banana: and absolutly love it. and will shite all over the vz on the road. and tell me if this doesnt look better than a commy

post-24566-0-02420600-1293691023_thumb.png

mate i'm no holdan man by any streach but got a r34 gtt and a vt commy as a daily and the only thing i've had with the vt is the fuel pump wiring loom but been stranded on the side of the road 3 time with 34 don't get me wrong feel shit loads better driving the 34 but had less dramas with the aussie built car than me skyline just saying

I read the first page and im assuming the next 4 are all the same shit.

Your first post made it clear, your over the skyline and you want a commodore so go for it, you'll be back tho, i guarantee it!

haha Rolls, they look alright, but a bit toooo much like an XF or aussie R31 for my liking, I have two close mates who are in love with them, I lol at them buying overpriced parts from R31House and having to look high and low for model specific parts :P

I think I am biased because I used to own one, but like most things you can find some love for it if you see it often enough, I like the sharp lines and other cars from that era as well.