SAU Community

Does It Feel Like Your R33 Is Outdated?

If you're going to get the tint darkened, do ALL OF IT, not just the rear windows. It screams "I'm JDM as f**k yo!" and... well you're not JDM as anything if you're not from Japan.

My car was imported like this, the rear and rear-side windows are tinted to the darkest possible tint. However the driver and passenger windows have no tint on them at all. Is there some sort of reason this is "JDM as f**k yo!"?

My car was imported like this, the rear and rear-side windows are tinted to the darkest possible tint. However the driver and passenger windows have no tint on them at all. Is there some sort of reason this is "JDM as f**k yo!"?

Because that's how they do it in Japan.

Different hemisphere different sun conditions. It's just silly here because why would you not want your air conditioner to be more effective in the Australian climate?

To OP:

Whoooo cares what the F@!$ other people think about your car. If it makes you happy keep it. 33's are nice to drive, even as a daily so just make it your own and it will be fine

Different hemisphere different sun conditions. It's just silly here because why would you not want your air conditioner to be more effective in the Australian climate?

Yeah they have different sun conditions, what's that mean? I mean, why would that stop them from tinting their door windows?

If your interior feels that outdated, get some new seats and/or a retrim in some nice leather. It only sets you back a couple of grand and it can really spruce up your car especially if you do the dash and door trims. Even the R33 in with its exterior in good condition and a good set of rims will always look better than 99.9% of Commodores or Falcons.

Probably because the VZ is what, 10 years newer?

I hate Commodores. They're not unique, they're designed to carry five adults comfortably and pull a trailer, and they perform like ass. I cannot see any attraction to them as a car enthusiast. The fact they pull up beside me with 5 said (young) adults in the car, monster subs thumping, 20" chromies and try to drag me makes me laugh too. Even if it was a V8 I doubt they'd keep up with my little NA with all that weight and unsprung mass.

Since you are on your P's ill assume you have never driven an LS1/LS2/LS3. Honestly even with a full car load a late model SS would easily pull away from you. Thats the great advantage of a V8, they have a huge amount of torque therefore weight doesn't really slow them down. Hence they are used to tow shit.

Edited by PM-R33

To OP:

Whoooo cares what the F@!$ other people think about your car. If it makes you happy keep it. 33's are nice to drive, even as a daily so just make it your own and it will be fine

Agreed. Some people seem to not like carbon fiber bonnets but i havnt been told it looks shit by anyone from the public or SAU meets and i wouldnt care if they did because it actually serves a purpose for cooling and weight reduction and looks good too me. Same goes for any other aftermarket part you want too put on there....

Also i wouldnt consider them too out dated more that your parts feel worn. If it makes you feel better i can order anything for a skyline at nissan and only wait 10 days!!! from nissan japan and we also service skyline :P so you could make it good as gold for a few thousand $ :( haha

Still its never going too be comfortable with the stock seats =\

Yeah they have different sun conditions, what's that mean? I mean, why would that stop them from tinting their door windows?

I didn't start the trend, so I can't answer that for you. I'm just saying that people who do it over here just to mimic the trend in another country are idiots. We really need the tint here to combat the sun and the heat.

Since you are on your P's ill assume you have never driven an LS1/LS2/LS3. Honestly even with a full car load a late model SS would easily pull away from you. Thats the great advantage of a V8, they have a huge amount of torque therefore weight doesn't really slow them down. Hence they are used to tow shit.

I've driven a late model V8 ute, was a loaner car whilst they fixed my mate's NA Supra. We were actually really timid driving it because neither of us had driven a V8 before and the reputation they carry. But then when we actually put our foot down... it was really disappointing. Sure it was a stock auto, and not one of their performance V8s, but it really wasn't much quicker than our NAs. No exaggeration.

But anyway, my point was mainly the V6 P platers who think their Commodore loaded with extra weight is a drag weapon.

I've driven a late model V8 ute, was a loaner car whilst they fixed my mate's NA Supra. We were actually really timid driving it because neither of us had driven a V8 before and the reputation they carry. But then when we actually put our foot down... it was really disappointing. Sure it was a stock auto, and not one of their performance V8s, but it really wasn't much quicker than our NAs. No exaggeration.

But anyway, my point was mainly the V6 P platers who think their Commodore loaded with extra weight is a drag weapon.

Your talking about an NA Supra or an NA Skyline? If your talknig about an NA Supra then your right (NA Supra 0-100 6.5sec), an LS1 commodore stock Auto really wont be that much quicker than your car. If your talking about an LS3 VE Clubsport you will get absolutely destroyed if the person behind the wheel has even the slightest inkling how to drive. If your talking about an NA Skyline I cant put into words how slow they are compared with an LS1, hell I cant even find the 0-100km/h figures all the websites they all say Not Applicable like it doesnt even matter.

Commodore comfy? No.

I was taken for a drive (2hrs-ish) in the back of a new statesman with leather interior.

My back was broken by the time I got out.

Imo comfort cruiser =

1. Lexus LS400/Celsior

2. BMW 5 Series E39

To the OP:

1st thing = clear indicators. Lower it and plastic polish for headlights will work wonders. (Possibly been said before)

I "think" it's more for legality reasons in Japan, where the driver needs to be more visible.

I'm thinking back to the epsode of top gear when Jeremy drives the R35 GT-R and claims they can only get you for speeding if they have a picture of your face.... not sure how true that is though.

Commodore comfy? No.

I was taken for a drive (2hrs-ish) in the back of a new statesman with leather interior.

Imo comfort cruiser =

1. Lexus LS400/Celsior

2. BMW 5 Series E39

To the OP:

1st thing = clear indicators. Lower it and plastic polish for headlights will work wonders. (Possibly been said before)

did you happen to alter the seat at all to try to make it more comfortable? my mate has a dodgy back and has his seat nearly straight up and down. it's uncomfortable to sit in for even 5 mins no matter what sort of seats he has.

I "think" it's more for legality reasons in Japan, where the driver needs to be more visible.

I'm thinking back to the epsode of top gear when Jeremy drives the R35 GT-R and claims they can only get you for speeding if they have a picture of your face.... not sure how true that is though.

anyone ever think that maybe the tint was pulled off the front windows for compliance reasons? you know, since they have to put everything else back to stock for compliance.

Commodore comfy? No.

Imo comfort cruiser =

1. Lexus LS400/Celsior

2. BMW 5 Series E39

To the OP:

I borrowed a LS400 for a few months when my car was being built....the seats in that f**ker would give me back spasms every time, but i guess different seats suit different people, the best seats i have ever had are R32 GTR seats....because they make me sit up straight, 20 minutes in the LS made me feel 100 years old but driving to sydney in the GTR felt like a breeze! Yet other people cant stand GTR seats *shrugs*

I borrowed a LS400 for a few months when my car was being built....the seats in that f**ker would give me back spasms every time, but i guess different seats suit different people, the best seats i have ever had are R32 GTR seats....because they make me sit up straight, 20 minutes in the LS made me feel 100 years old but driving to sydney in the GTR felt like a breeze! Yet other people cant stand GTR seats *shrugs*

yeah the seats in my r33 are pretty uncomfortable when driving long distances because they are bent back form the top quite a bit.. but i guess it just gives it sweet looks from the inside. haha. :wub:

lol, its for roadworthy. over here it is the same with commercial vehicles. look at the new tritons, no tint on the front windows but 20% on the rears. passenger vehicles are restricted to under 30% here where in japan there is only restriction on the front windows, not the rear.

• 3 months later...

i understand the r33 is the ugly duckling of the skylien but its still better then commodores or falcons, seriously i have never stopped and said wow i would love to own that commodore or falcon, remember there taxi cars lol. i live in a city apartment complex and there are people down in my carpark who own Audi a6's, bmw and mercedes you know what i bet they notice my r34 more then i notice there cars, even though there cars are 5 times expensive i got a skyline an icon of japan, the last of the inline 6 and need i say it, the car that brian bought in fast and furious 2. :blink:

i understand the r33 is the ugly duckling of the skylien but its still better then commodores or falcons, seriously i have never stopped and said wow i would love to own that commodore or falcon, remember there taxi cars lol. i live in a city apartment complex and there are people down in my carpark who own Audi a6's, bmw and mercedes you know what i bet they notice my r34 more then i notice there cars, even though there cars are 5 times expensive i got a skyline an icon of japan, the last of the inline 6 and need i say it, the car that brian bought in fast and furious 2. :blink:

i bet they aren't noticing your car out of interest for it though.

haha agree with GT-R seats being the comfiest I've ever sat in. When I had my SS as well as the R32, hopping into the the Statesman seats in it felt like sitting on boards (especially with the lack of any decent bolstering) compared to the GT-R seats. I also drove mine 1000km home from sydney, only problems were from my head constantly bashing the roof!