SAU Community

R34 Gt-t Mod Dilema...

Hey peeps! some of you may know ive been looking at getting work done on my r34 gt-t.... well its had work done!!! but... the last part has got me puzzled.

Ok this is whats in at the moment:

3" full turbo back exhaust (high flow cat/muffler full custom)

Splitfire coilpacks

10psi set bleed tee

Stealth FMIC

minor service & iradium spark plugs

high flow impul panel filter

Now i had a call from my tuner today asking me if i wanted to refund the bosch fuel pump we where going to put in as the mechanic says my stock one is in good condition & putting in a bosch will just increase my fuel consumption.... with no real gain.

So yeah fine i said yeah dont worry about it and put the car on the dyno and tune it with the stock pump/ecu set it to 10psi and ill pick it up tomorrow.

Now i was/am thinking of getting a NISTUNE chip installed/tuned to hopefully reach the 200rwkw mark (not sure what the mods above will get ill find out tomorrow)

So! my question is.... do i keep the fuel pump get a nistune done and install the fuel pump?? or refund the pump and just get a nistune chip... or is the chip only really good for A:F ratio tuning which would help if i had the pump in.. my tuner also suggested if i was to go the pump/chip to get injectors but thats just more money :(

Any advise appreciated and ill throw up some pics once i get the car!!!

Youre running a stock turbo, so there is no need to upgrade the pump if the stocker is fine. I would get a different tuner if he said the pump will increase fuel consumption. I would get nistune. Wouldnt be surprised if the car makes less power with the boost etc than standard as the r34 ecu's chuck a hissy fit worse than the r33 ecu's

Yeah makes sense.

How would the nistune benefit my setup etc...? help run the 10psi better? less boost spikes... better air/fuel mixtures??

i will pass on the pump now : )

is a better fuel pump only really needed for higher boost like 12 etc? im stick with 10 as its stock turbo.

My mods were

FMIC

EBC set on 10-11 psi

NIStune

3"turbo back exhaust

panal filter

Took it to a tuner and first up it pulled 188rwkw, at this point the AFR's dropped rich off the scale

Quick map change and timing change and it rolled outta there with 215rwkw, with flatspot in the midrange iliminated.

I now have

walbro fuel pump

Z32 afm

NISMO 480 injectors oin the way

and a ATR custom spec 3576 .63 rear Turbo coming from hypergear

Expecting to get 270ish rwkw on the next tune.

so if ya gonna keep the stock turbo, the stock fuel pump and injectors are fine for 215rwkw.

Just get the NIStune and tune it up and your car will love ya for it

R34's love a decent tune as they drop torque and power off in the mid range like nothing else, it gets worse the more boost you put in, its a safety measure.

12-13psi on the stock turbo will see good gains, i reckon the tuner tried to talk you out of the pump as he cant be assed fitting it.... bosch pump in a gtt is a bit of a pain, walbro fits straight in no mods. A bigger pump wont affect fuel consumption.

Lol thanks trent!

Naa he didnt... we still have the pump it was going to go in today but they ran out of time and are waiting on brackets for it to go in... but i need my car back tomorrow lunch time so we are putting it off at that point they said the stock one is fine...

so i can hold onto the stock one and just get the nistune chip or i can get status :blink:? to put in the chip and pump!

ta!

My mods were

FMIC

EBC set on 10-11 psi

NIStune

3"turbo back exhaust

panal filter

Took it to a tuner and first up it pulled 188rwkw, at this point the AFR's dropped rich off the scale

Quick map change and timing change and it rolled outta there with 215rwkw, with flatspot in the midrange iliminated.

I now have

walbro fuel pump

Z32 afm

so if ya gonna keep the stock turbo, the stock fuel pump and injectors are fine for 215rwkw.

Please reread this post, it has very good advice. I was just about to type a very similar thing.

Hey Adriantc!

Great to hear your R34 now has all the mods you wanted! :whistling:

^^ What he said.

The way I see it is that, you are not pumping a large amount of boost so the stock items can handle it.

Still go for the Nistune with Trent at Status as we spoke about before and will do you good.

Also interested in seeing you custom muffler exhaust... Any pics?

jamieeeeeeeee

Yeah im sorted now, was just some on the spot decisions i had to make to get my car back today....

I get it back this afternoon so ill throw up some piccys :P he he!

It had a little issue with the ECU cutting supply or something over 5psi... so it was either wait another day or tune it to 5psi... so its running at 5 now.

Apparently the nistune will remove the 180kmh limiter and the issue with the 5psi so we will do that when i goto trent :D.

pics up latter today!

jamieeeeeeeee

Yeah im sorted now, was just some on the spot decisions i had to make to get my car back today....

I get it back this afternoon so ill throw up some piccys :) he he!

It had a little issue with the ECU cutting supply or something over 5psi... so it was either wait another day or tune it to 5psi... so its running at 5 now.

Apparently the nistune will remove the 180kmh limiter and the issue with the 5psi so we will do that when i goto trent :yes:.

pics up latter today!

Nice one man!

So did RE Customs end up do the work for you?

Yeah definitely post pics!

:O

R34's love a decent tune as they drop torque and power off in the mid range like nothing else, it gets worse the more boost you put in, its a safety measure.

12-13psi on the stock turbo will see good gains, i reckon the tuner tried to talk you out of the pump as he cant be assed fitting it.... bosch pump in a gtt is a bit of a pain, walbro fits straight in no mods. A bigger pump wont affect fuel consumption.

wait, so the stock gtt turbo can safely handle 13psi? still trying to figure out why my stock gauge is showing 12 psi during a heavy load, i was chasing a monaro from 20-70 in second yesterday and say about 14 sustained at 3500rpm at above!!

car is supposed to be stock, with some unknown brand of catback and im guessing a tune...

thanks for any info

I think the general consensus is anything above 12psi on the stock R34 turbo and it will fail, just a matter of time when and how bad the damage will be .. I run mine at 11.5 and rarely use that much boost as it's my daily

• 3 weeks later...
My mods were

FMIC

EBC set on 10-11 psi

NIStune

3"turbo back exhaust

panal filter

I now have

walbro fuel pump

Z32 afm

My mods were - 3 inch turbo back, HKS POD, 10psi. Put a fresh plugs in and made 189rwkw 3 straight run on the dyno.

And now i got, Return flow FMIC and then it sits on 11psi. And i boost it up to 12psi and its getting laggy. And now i boost it back to 10psi and it stills lags abit on me. So now im gonna put on the walbro fuel pump.

U guys reckon i need a bigger fuel pump, becos i boosted up to 12?

Cheers.

My mods were - 3 inch turbo back, HKS POD, 10psi. Put a fresh plugs in and made 189rwkw 3 straight run on the dyno.

And now i got, Return flow FMIC and then it sits on 11psi. And i boost it up to 12psi and its getting laggy. And now i boost it back to 10psi and it stills lags abit on me. So now im gonna put on the walbro fuel pump.

U guys reckon i need a bigger fuel pump, becos i boosted up to 12?

Cheers.

From Post #7 by Status:

"R34's love a decent tune as they drop torque and power off in the mid range like nothing else, it gets worse the more boost you put in, its a safety measure."

The FMIC has pushed you over the airflow settings allowed by the stock ecu (search rich and retard). Therefore the more boost you put in the worse it will be. Forget the walbro fuel pump, spend the money on a TUNE!!!!!!!

Edited by Harey

From Post #7 by Status:

"R34's love a decent tune as they drop torque and power off in the mid range like nothing else, it gets worse the more boost you put in, its a safety measure."

The FMIC has pushed you over the airflow settings allowed by the stock ecu (search rich and retard). Therefore the more boost you put in the worse it will be. Forget the walbro fuel pump, spend the money on a TUNE!!!!!!!

Best place to go is status right? or nistune? How much am i looking at?

thnx

Edited by tavstar34

Best place to go is status right? or nistune? How much am i looking at?

thnx

Cant really answer that, but I know there are lots of happy customers. Mine was tuned by Sam @ Dr Drift, he charged me around $800 for the nistune installed and tuned. I am very happy with the tune and if your on the west side as per your location field he will be very close.

Edited by Harey

Cant really answer that, but I know there are lots of happy customers. Mine was tuned by Sam @ Dr Drift, he charged me around $800 for the nistune installed and tuned. I am very happy with the tune and if your on the west side as per your location field he will be very close.

cool thnx. I went to dr drift sometime last year and he said $900 to do it.

But il go pass again and ask him.. (busy man)

If u dont mind me asking, How much power did u get with the set up that i got now?

thnx harey :rofl2: