SAU Community

R32 Gtr To R34 Gtr

Why not? :D

If you are having trouble finding what you want, then get an importer looking out for something.

If you have a reasonable idea about what you want and it's reasonably board, i cannot see why you couldn't get it cheaper imported.

Some of the prices i see GTR's selling for astounds me still, a lot of people probably brought them from car yards and similar which will have nice markups on them so they are trying to not take "as much" of a hit to the hip pocket in selling.

Not really a hassle either - that's what the importer will do for you. Sort compliance/shipping etc. You just handover coin :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just recently tested an R34 GTR and currently owning an R32 GTR here are my opinions:

- The ride in the R34 was definitely smoother than the R32, R32 felt closer to the road, a bit more jittery HOWEVER this can depend on the suspension, tyres and coilover setup each car has.

- The R34 is indeed a quieter car in terms of road noise, exhaust etc, my car doesn't squeak, squeal or ratter, its just an older generation sports car with a more traditional sporting philosophy. Once could accuse the R34 GTR of being a bit tame if you close your eyes.

- I favour the R32 interior more than the R34(!), I think for 1989 the interior of the R32 was excellent and still very functional today. The R34's interior doesn't feel like what a 60K++ car should feel like and how often do you use the centre LCD screen?

- Seats are different, some favours the wider seats of the R32, others favour the tighter fit of the R34. I'm blessed that I fit in most Japanese cars including the Suzuki Cappuccino so either one is not a problem for me.

- The interior space to me is smaller in the R34 than the R32.

- The boot space is smaller in the R34 than the R32, this was my biggest surprise and I don't think I can fit the same luggage I took in my R32 in an R34. This might be a problem....

- The battery in the R34 (and R33) is located in the back and based on a recent experience of trying to jump start an R34 this was more troublesome than I thought. Is there any good reason why the battery should be at the back???

- The R32, to the curent generation, would be considered old school - raw. Some people like that, others prefer comfort. THe R34 is geared towards comfort though its still a GTR, its meant to be customised for performance.

Both cars (and the R33) are awesome. My R32 is a daily, I have no problems whatsoever with it being a daily car except when I choose to press on hard on the gas pedal and watch the car drink away :-) But my car is not tuned and is running rich as a stock car would out of the factory. I think I can definitely improve on my 470km city/hwy and 615km hwy fuel consumption.

The R32 GTR may have started the RB26 phenomenon, the R34 finished it. The 10 year gap in improvements is too much to overlook the R34 as just a more expensive R32. It is a magical car.

Well given the NUR still has the inherrant issues of oil control etc, and the V-II's are expensive as (and not much different over a normal "GTR")

You could look to perhaps just a R34 GTR, you'd be looking around the 45-50k marker for a pretty clean example.

Perhaps look at getting one imported as a side thought?

Following this thought on, if you accept an R34 could cost $75k (something nicely modded or a Nur VS II M Spec etc etc), then this kind of price point introduces some other cars that seem pretty attractive in their own way.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...4&silo=1011

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=1235CDBC2A4A

Perhaps, and especially for a daily, the cheaper end of the R34 market makes more sense.

Sorry to take my thread off topic but this thinking goes to selecting a suitable price point.

If you're using a car as a daily, those two Euros will beat an R34 hands down in terms of comfort, fuel, space (although a Porsche is damn woeful in that department!). That doesn't mean you can't drive an R34 GT-R as a daily car. It can be done but I think the novelty will diminish over time, especially if it's stock power. It's also another point to note. Stock GT-R power is pretty lack lusture and nothing to rave about. But once you do some bolt ons to 330kw, the car transforms and really comes alive.

I love my car the way it is at around 330awkw. The fun factor increases ten fold from when it was stock. Amazes me how quickly it revs to 8 grand and bouncing off the limiter, The only qualm I have is how ordinary the stock Brembos are and inherently lacking in stopping quickly. I need to get this addressed soon as I know i'll come unstuck one day.

^ I get similar economy with 280rwkw :D

Good tune, kind right foot, job done!

I love my car the way it is at around 330awkw. The fun factor increases ten fold from when it was stock. Amazes me how quickly it revs to 8 grand and bouncing off the limiter, The only qualm I have is how ordinary the stock Brembos are and inherently lacking in stopping quickly. I need to get this addressed soon as I know i'll come unstuck one day.

That sounds more like a poor pad/rotor/fluid combo than anything else.

I've seen guys punt around Sandown/Winton with factory GTR brakes & 330rwkw without much of a drama :)

Whilst of course not "ideal" as there is always "something better" out there... they do work quite well.

^ I get similar economy with 280rwkw :)

I've seen guys punt around Sandown/Winton with factory GTR brakes & 330rwkw without much of a drama :(

Whilst of course not "ideal" as there is always "something better" out there... they do work quite well.

I'll be the first to admit my tune can be likened to that movie with macaulay culkin :D

^ I get similar economy with 280rwkw :)

I've seen guys punt around Sandown/Winton with factory GTR brakes & 330rwkw without much of a drama :(

I did have fluids changed before the first track outing, but retained stock rotors running Project Mu b-Spec pads, although I shouldve changed to more bitey pads. Still i'm not impressed with how it stops. I suppose I might be a bit biased as the last car had a more serious brake setup, and I was used to that level of stopping power. ;)

Get some decent rotors & complementing pad combo - It'll make all the difference.

Also if the stock rotors are down, as you'd know, they will heat up easier/retain etc. So that could also be part of the problem.

Get some decent rotors & complementing pad combo - It'll make all the difference.

Also if the stock rotors are down, as you'd know, they will heat up easier/retain etc. So that could also be part of the problem.

Don't want to Hijack but Nismoid, would you have any idea what the biggest size rotor you can fit under the standard 32r sumitomos is ?

Back OT,

As for the choices, realistically the R32 has one or two advantages, these being; Weight, Price, some even prefer the styling the engine is almost exactly the same so there are no great advantages there.

The primary differences as everyone has stated will be in a much nicer ride and interior as the car is in some cases 10+ years newer, newer styling you also get a 6 speed with the R34, all in all its still the same beast just a little bit fatter and a little bit more refined and nice.

Can't compare, as i have never driven a 32 daily, but can share my series 2 non-vspec 34 GTR daily experience.

• The seats are tight especially for those like me who have wide shoulders.
  • Economy is ok.. 400-450 city driving a tank when stock, 350ish with 300awkw (i have heard of better, but they are in small company)
  • Performance is average in standard form, 250awkw+ is when things become interesting
  • They are quiet and smooth as you like inside, aircon n heating works well, suspension is a little stiff
  • Brakes are superb, not sure why the fuss by some people
  • Very reliable in my experience
  • Shifting is a little notchy
  • Parking paranoia never ceases, if you don't have secure parking at work n home - don't get one. I don't park mine in tight spots or when clubbing for example

I drive it everyday and love it to bits. I have ordinary people almost daily complementing me, flashing me, taking pics, it really is quite surprising that they are still this unique to people. I researched them thoroughly and found the best value to be either a series 1 vspec or a series 2 non vspec. Wish i had the diffusers n maybe the extra functonality of the vspec mfc, but that's bout it that i miss from not having a vspec.

The only thing that has soured the whole experience is the shuddery and rattley as all hell JB clutch. It rattles like f**k on idle, and is unbearable when the aircon is switched on. I know they say the dual mass flywheel is a pest, but believe me a performance clutch and flywheel has ruined the daily comfort appeal of the car.