SAU Community

Transmission Cooler

02stagea

Just wondering what size transmission coolers other guys are running and if you are running one with a fan.

I can get one which is 325 x 350 for $145.00. But I think that would struggle to fit. I will also be getting a hdi intercooler in the future if that makes any difference space wise.

Thanks for any info or links. I don't do a mod until I check what you guys think!

Mine is about 350 x 250, the lines are 8mm. I fit it behind the cooler but there wasn't much room left and it will heatsoak the cooler a bit in traffic.

I fit a trans cooler to my mates xr6 in the side with a thermo controlled fan, it works well because it doesn't cool at all until the fluid warms up. We just vented the hot air out some mesh in the wheel arch.

What front bar do you have? Is there a hole at the side? (not that you need it with a fan)

Hi Andrew

I have the HDI intercooler and found the best place for the Trans cooler was just above the FMIC on a 30% angle back to fit in behind the grill. There is a good Trans Cooler on Ebay that Jetwreck is using in the same position.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This is the link to the thread that shows my trans cooler above the FMIC.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Hd....html&st=60

Cheers

Andy

Sorry for the tread hijack.

Thanks for the link Andy, just bought one of these! Exactly the style I'd been looking for, at about half the price. Which line into the radiator bottom tank is the feed line and which is the return? Just so I don't have to pump fluid everywhere to find out.

Cheers, Dale

If you don't like that one though I run a second large PWR one because I no longer have a radiator with a cooler tank....I put it down the in the front left as it was the only place left.

P.S. Don't use the PWR lines supplied.

post-37023-1277532677_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jetwreck

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to grab one of the ebay ones.

Scotty I have an RX stock front bar. So no air holes or anything like that.

Also if anyone wants a K & N filter I picked up one brand new for $86.50 from American auto spares in Strathfield. Pretty good price I reckon.

Now I just have to start putting all the parts I have on the bloody car!

Sorry for the tread hijack.

Thanks for the link Andy, just bought one of these! Exactly the style I'd been looking for, at about half the price. Which line into the radiator bottom tank is the feed line and which is the return? Just so I don't have to pump fluid everywhere to find out.

Cheers, Dale

Dale, the return line is the one on the passenger side of the radiator on the lower edge of the radiator.

Cheers

Andy

Dale, the return line is the one on the passenger side of the radiator on the lower edge of the radiator.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for that Andy.

If you don't like that one though I run a second large PWR one because I no longer have a radiator with a cooler tank....I put it down the in the front left as it was the only place left.

P.S. Don't use the PWR lines supplied.

What problem did you have with the PWR lines?

What problem did you have with the PWR lines?

The one supplied split within 24hrs and emptied the gearbox onto the Pacific HWY on me.....lucky my nose is sensitive as I probably only lost about 2lt's before I realised I had a problem. Might have been a bad batch of lines supplied at the time.....I did ring PWR direct and let them know.

weird ! I used the supplied lines and all ok , even with some pretty tight radius bends in it.

Oh and I put up some pics etc of the PWR 6cyl cooler we used, so far seems all good. Gave the PWR 6 cyl cooler a thrashing in the middle of summer and no gear shenannigans what so ever.

The one supplied split within 24hrs and emptied the gearbox onto the Pacific HWY on me.....lucky my nose is sensitive as I probably only lost about 2lt's before I realised I had a problem. Might have been a bad batch of lines supplied at the time.....I did ring PWR direct and let them know.