SAU Community

Gutting Skyline Doors

Luke_ENR34

Hey guys,

Im looking at gutting the insides on my 4doors on the 34 to save some weight. Just wondering if you guys have any tips to doing it?

What to cut, what should i leave in etc.

Cheers Luke.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have sunline racing carbon fibre door trims going into mine,

i dont know if they make them for 4doors thought dude.

for ur car what i would be doing is basically stripping everything out from the doors, getting fixed lexan windows and just have an aluminium or carbon sheet of the door shell.

Edited by GUN_METAL_GTR32

for ur car what i would be doing is basically stripping everything out from the doors, getting fixed lexan windows and just have an aluminium or carbon sheet of the door shell.

Yeah I want to do this on my car as well but how do fixed lexan windows actually fit into the doors if everything is stripped out? Ie - where do they bolt on to?

Cheers,

Glen

Edited by xanavinismo

Cheers guys.

Was gonna go Carbon doors but to much of a head fu*k getting molds made/fixing if i crash etc.

Got a full Tarmac cage getting done in a couple of weeks.

I guess just stay away from the door latch area?

Cheers.

there is bugger all weight in the guts of the doors. The side intrusion bar is the only thing worth taking out. I've gutted a R32 door, and the window and mechanism weigh all of 1-2kg, and all the steel that was cut out was 1kg, they were a series one door. The only thing worth removing is the side intrusion bar (if you have one) as they are about 10kg per side on a two door, And if you gut them you need to still put some plates or steel cable back in to stop the door from sagging

I've started cutting and grinding the door, any tips to taking the intrusion bar out? I've made some slices in the steel tube but don't wanna cut to much cause I might end up through the door lol.

Cheers.

15kg without glass. The one I hacked ended up about 9KG

There was more steel to remove there is still a fair bit of double skin I could have swiss cheesed. MAybe another 1 KG.

Plastic fixed windows and a 0.6mm alloy door card wouldnt add too much back in.

Window winder weighed a tonne and so did the intrusion bar.

I still have to do this to my car yet :P

Pretty interested in how to fix the plastic windows in and maintain strength.

Edited by Tektrader69

Got any pics of the inside of your doors mate?

Did you have to put anything in the door to stop it sagging?

Cheers

Door was still plenty stiff as the outside skin still acts as a sheer web. JP might have some pics?

I think he went further after he got it. It was close to the weight of a glass door after he finished with it.