SAU Community

A Boy's Love For His Rb20

Yeh. Radiohead have some great chillout music.

The new mounts arent in as the harness holes in my new Sparco seats are too low and the harness rides my shoulders too much. I may just mod my cage so harness angle and height is changed

And the grip comes in part from a proper alignment and old AO50s hanging in there despite being warn. Last time I ran PI my alignment was way out due to faulty laser aligner and had poor grip. I had no idea just how bad it was until going back with the settings I thought I had. Still need another degree of camber now I have softer swaybars

LOL

Reminds me of a russin chopper pilot I met in the Army, went for a fly, there was hydraulic fluid pissing out everywhere, We asked if the leak was a problem

he said in his big half drunk Russian voice

"Leak...No Problem....Leak stop, Then Problem"

So all those with race seats can you do me a favour and go sit in them and throw a harness over and let me know where the harness opening in the back of the seat is relative to the top of your shoulders?

Was at the Alpine Rally on the weekend and was speaking to a bunch of people and seems my problem is not a problem in the eyes of many :closedeyes:

My car never rates highly in the most photographed or quickest stakes...but when the vid camera rolls due to how loud the car is it sometimes gets air time.

SAU - Nats vid at 13 seconds and again at 1:05...where you see some white knuckle oppo lock mid corner

So all those with race seats can you do me a favour and go sit in them and throw a harness over and let me know where the harness opening in the back of the seat is relative to the top of your shoulders?

Was at the Alpine Rally on the weekend and was speaking to a bunch of people and seems my problem is not a problem in the eyes of many :closedeyes:

seems while at the alpine you may have been speaking to some blokes i work with. in a mr30 painted up in the old nissan colours. i got to nav in that for the final round of the tassie rally series. and helped build it along the way.

my harness rests on my shoulders in both my car and passenger seat in bens car. its in about the middle of the opening when its on my shoulders.

I just checked mine Roy.

My shoulder is maybe 1 centimetre higher than the lowest part of the harness hole statically. Once I strap in I'm squashed into the seat base cushion and the top of my shoulder would be 1 to 2cm BELOW the harness hole.

Feels bloody prefect and allows me to strap in real tight without feeling like I'm compressing my spine.

So basically, as I tighten the shoulder straps it's pushing me down into the cushion a bit, and also pulling my shoulders back into the backrest.

(keeping in mind that the lap belts should be TIGHT and low across your hips, and should be adjusted and tightened first)

• 1 month later...

Well, just bought another two turbos for my car :) My old girl has to be the most spoilt RB20 in the land :)

So...now I just need to find a week and about 2k for dyno and spanner time. The quest to find the ideal setup on an RB20. The turbos I have to try with my 6boost manifold and Turbosmart gate are:

TD05-18G 8cm

TD06-20G 10cm

TD06L2-73HTA 8cm

TD06L2-73HTA 10cm

All to be benchlined against my TD06-20G 8cm. LOL, Racepace is going to hate my car soon enough. Hours of back to back dyno pulls. Engine will probably crap itself on the dyno :)

Since your PMs are FULL )))

Hey, Roy! I've been a fan of your RB20 since like forever. Have a nice sweet place in my heart.

I've got a preposition for you. Since you are going to test your RB20 to the limit to find out the best turbo.

Do you mind taking this little fella for a ride ?

17122011400.jpg

17122011399.jpg

17122011401.jpg

17122011402.jpg

Its Holset HX30.

compressor IN:49MM EX:73MM

Turbine: IN:64MM EX:52MM

Turbine AR 9cm, T3 Flange.

Should be quite a good match for RB20.

Will you be interested in testing it out ?

Probably need to run factory exhaust manifold.

I would be happy to send that turbo to you for testing.

You get the turbo and test it out. Post the results.

And keep the turbo. What you gonna do with it after that its ur choice.

What do you say ?

Rgds,

Andrey

Edited by robots

Tempted. Can you post some pics f the exhaust housing and maybe the turbo heighht? I would need to make up a new dump pipe, and a spacer to convert from my 3 botl manifold to the T3 flange of the turbo. That can add a few hundred dollars to the cost of the tuning just in fabrication. So will do some homework. The turbo I am testing thankfully all bost right up to my existing piping and lines so makes it a rather easy 60mins work once things have cooled down. The cost of all the tuning still scares me as I dont trust myself to tune a car

I'm sure there will be some people who could help you out with tuning and not reaping your arm and leg. Maybe even free or mate's discount rate as long if its limited to tuning only I guess. Maybe if you do it in a week time, not in 1 day. It would be easier.

Fit one turbo, drive to the tuner, get results and drive home. Change to another one, next day same stuff. Since all of those turbos will be quite similar, maybe difference in low-end between td05 and td06. But top-end difference mostly.

Its an experiment for community. And somebody should take pride to be a part of it. Document it thouroughly, take pics and vids. And could even be good advertisement for the tuner later.

Edited by robots

I will try to find some pics of HX30

20120105_161625.jpg

Thats how it pretty much looks. Pretty tall. But you can shave off that internal wastegate stuff off.

I can send a V-band flage with it. Just weld it on afterwards and thats it.

20120117_142604.jpg

Edited by robots

Well I cant commit to anything at the second. But post all the immediate testing I have planned will definitely re-consider if my engine is still healthy after so many tuning/dyno pulls and testing.

In the meantime. Dummy fitted up the TD05H-18G. I need to go to jail for ripping of a Trust turbo and tryign out a "Kando the Great" turbo :)... :(

TD05H-18G

med_gallery_462_50_66814.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_185153.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_208537.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_247453.jpg?t=36239728