SAU Community

What Is Wrong With Walbro Pumps?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

are the walbros a direct factory replacement? where can you get a genuine one from? be interesting to see how they compare price wise with the bosch 040s for those of us with stockish rb25dets

As long as you get one specific to your car it'll be a straight swap. I've done 2x32 Gts-t's, 1x32 GT-R, and 1xLegnum with no issues.

You can get them at any good performance shop, or eBay. Beware on eBay though as some mobs are selling the knockoffs as genuine Walbro.

Mine was legit, 6 years ago before all these fakes appeared on the market 270rwkw, that was show over for my Walbro.

13:1 AFR's. Bosch pump change over, 10:1

So now the Walbro just gets used as a lift pump for my surge tank.

The issue with Walbros is pressure, they are FINE for N/A power applications - as boost climbs, so does pressure, flow rate then drops off.

There are graphs around here and on the net of the various comparo's.

If you intend on running more than 240rwkw and 15psi - get a bosch or a similar jap/other more suited pump.

Otherwise just for the above the Walbro item is a cheap and good solution.

Sorry but that is just total bullshit... We ran 29psi through my car not more than a month ago making over 270rwkw with 11.5 afrs with no fuel issues.

We also have run 20psi through a Supra last year making 330rwkw with no fuel issues!!!

You are duly misinformed!

How many of you people have removed your tank to clean it when changing a pump? Walbro or Bosch....if you didn't have the tank cleaned, then you cannot make fair comment on either one failing.

I have always, and always will judge them on flow rate

post-10554-1280493580_thumb.png

At 60psi the flow rate drops to 50 gallons per hour which is 189L/hr. The standard fuel pump is virtually the same. The Bosch intank pumps flow 200 L/hr at 70psi. At 60psi they are still doing approx 230L/hr.

Anyone running 15-20psi of boost will see rail pressures of around 60psi

Since when goes a Skyline pump run on 12V, get a clue and rewire your pump correctly and you will get 13.8V of constant power... This means according to your graph you will get 60 gallons per hour which is 227L per hour!

You do realise that 227L per hour times by 1000 to make cc divided by 60 to get min and then divided by 6 injectors of a RB = enough fuel to flow over 600cc injectors CONSTANTLY

My question is how much power can you make from 600cc injectors?!?

Even 189L per hour at 12V is enough to feed 500cc injectors...

Edited by SimonR32

Since when goes a Skyline pump run on 12V, get a clue and rewire your pump correctly and you will get 13.8V of constant power... This means according to your graph you will get 60 gallons per hour which is 227L per hour!

You do realise that 227L per hour times by 1000 to make cc divided by 60 to get min and then divided by 6 injectors of a RB = enough fuel to flow over 600cc injectors CONSTANTLY

My question is how much power can you make from 600cc injectors?!?

Even 189L per hour at 12V is enough to feed 500cc injectors...

Get a clue?

You need to calm the f**k down asshole

• 2 months later...

I think I'll be needing to uprate the GTR one sat in my 33gtst - I'm aiming for 370kw (500bhp) so hoping a tomei or nismo one will help me get there - would rather pay the pennies altho that said dont these guys just basically rebadge a bosch044 or bosch 040 or something?

To the guys using walbro pumps with big power and big injectors. I'll bet my left nut that duty cycle or Injector opening time is way more that what it needs to be,

Ive been doing some research on this and if you have injectors big enough you can make big power with a walbro but the injectors are open for a lot longer than what they need to be, and the fuel basicly just dribbles out, causing bad atomisation etc etc,

I has seen similar things to ash, where cars have had 750cc injectors and ~280-300rwkws and the injectors are approaching between 70-80% duty cycle when they really should be just ticking over.

Same guys added 2x 044s and screwed some fuel pressure in to it (single hole injectors with a less than ideal spray pattern) injector duty went back to 50% and the car no longer belched out tonnes of black smoke due to the better burn in the chambers from having better fuel atomisation.

Holy epic post for 9am Saturday lol

just thought I'd add I fitted my walbro nearly 3 years ago. the car is making 350rwkw's without issue. the only reason I'm going to upgrade is for future plans to run the fruit juice

Which model walbro Gss-341 or Gss-342?

I'm running a walbro, making somewhere in the vicinity of 270+ rwkw I've yet to do the hard wire (will be done in the next week or 2) and running seimens deka 550cc injectors... The highest duty cycle I've seen according to nistune so far is about 40%

Where's a good place to buy a bosch 040 from? Are they genuine ones on ebay? cheers

Autobarn. A bit exxy (bout 50 bucks more or so), but you get it same day, wham, bam thankyou ma'am. When i blew my pump on a skidpan, i simply got a lift with a mate to autobarn. Bought it, and within 40min i was back on the pan =)

get on the yank car forums for most models and even the biggest budget buildups are using 2 or 3 or even 4 walbro setups, they seem to think they are fine and making big power. Ive never read a bad word about them on those forums and its the most common used pump for those platforms. Ive seen in person one pump make 440rwhp on a 3l turbo engine without drama and still going strong 4+ years later.