SAU Community

Street Mild Cam?

i spoke to my mate about it yeah he said hes putting a street mild cam in so i dont need to change everything and that his mate that works at a tuning place is gonna dyno, tune it and power run it all for me

all your mate's mate is actually going to do is just the power run as that is all you can do with the stock ecu other than maybe playing with the base timing a bit.

i strongly suggest that you get as much info about the cam as possible before you go ahead and post it on here to get the opinions of the people on here who know about this sort of thing as it sounds like your mate doesn't, considering that he said you'd get 40kw from it.

after market cams;

would the hydrualic lifters withold the extra kick?

if its solid lifters clearances right?

would the cam lobes foul on the cylinder head?

do the valve springs have enough lift and tension in them?

would your piston rings be able to withstand the extra power even if it is the slightest?

every new cam profile creates different characteristics of the motor and as the cam allows fuel/air in and exhaust gasses out, if its running on the stock fuel map it will probably rob you of power until you have it remapped

if you want to use after market rb26 cams in a rb25 head, you'd need the solid lifter conversion,

also pretty much everything that R34 -_- has said is pretty much right, and yeah cams are designed to start kicking it at a certain rpm, but you can adjust when that happens with adjustable cam gears and a good tune