Mark Webber Is Coming To Perth 28 Nov 2010

sexzila

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok guys heres an opportunity for the shrude investor. :P

I have 2 tickets in a marque fully catered, food, drinks etc paid $385 each

willing to take a bit of a hit on these, don't want to get stuck with them so make me a reasonable offer.. @$300 each would be nice :P

help a brother out

Richard 0411861466

Gone

Nice to see you guys all getting in the spirit of things.

If anyone needs tickets they can also be purchased from PitStop Book Shop , just like you would for V8.

This will be an awesome gig, specially if Mark becomes F1 Champ.

between now an d then the challenge will be getting the the Redbull car inside the Fraisers Restaurant for the VFP Dinner...

and after that well who knows.......tune in to media for more :P

Hey Paul, what re you doing with Antilag?

Hope you still wear my logo on your sleeve.....SAUWA :P

See you up there......

• 2 weeks later...

yep decided to head down for a couple of hours, missed most of the good stuff. Lots of Ferraris and Porsches around in the paddock...2 x 458 Italias were very nice.

a few offs by some drivers kept it interesting but not really any racing, more exhibition races/laps. F1 car doing a few laps was good.

they might aswell have not bothered bringing the f1 car here if they were just gonna drive like that, what a joke. not only did he not set a new lap record, he was more than 3 seconds slower than the current record, was babying it way too much.

apparently they only allowed for 6000 people then sold over 20 000 tickets (and didnt check them at the gates, could have been heaps more there), hence why there werent enough busses, parking or even water

didnt see the super karts or the rally race that was promised either.

after party was good tho

I really wanted this event to do well. Perth needs more events like this. The event management of it was just really novice. Yes the first of anything you expect some teething problems but this was just really basic event management stuff like how to get people to and from the event that was a total fail.

Some people are like 'they weren't expecting as many people as they got' blah blah blah - i call bullshit. Most of the tickets were presold and the media had been quoting 20,000 people attending for the past two weeks. It's not too hard to then go - 'we can park so many cars in car park X, then we will have to park 7,000 cars in the overflow carpark, average is about 3 people per car and the bulk of them will arrive over these 3 hours, buses cater for 70 people and a round trip takes the bus 20mins - therefore we need X amount of buses on rotation to handle these numbers. Having people walk on a very hot day through long grass (snakes) a 3/4km walk is dangerous. Lucky for us we are relatively fit but I saw so many not so fit people, mature age people and people with little kids that looked like they were not far from health problems and if you collapse etc out there - there is no medical attention.It was just dangerous. There were no clear signage on how the buses etc worked or where the stops were, you'd ask staff and they all had different information.

How hard was it for them to call up the people that organise the Super Cars and the event management at the Motorplex etc and go 'This is the event we want to hold, this is the venue we want to use, you've held these types of events before - what are the biggest issues you face? how do you overcome them? what about the event would you do differently etc - it may be their first rodeo but it's not the first WA has hosted a big motorsport event like this and it isn't the first time one has been hosted at Barbegello.

I didn't expect the F1 car to be full throttle - i realise it's an expensive machine and this is just a demonstration day for them but come on least put a little bit of effort in! I felt quite underwhelmed by it and there's a lot of people who probably think now that that's an F1 car in full flight. Felt a bit disappointed with the number of laps it did too. The only group who i thought put some effort in to entertaining the crowd was the Drifters otherwise it was a bunch of cars going for a bit of a leisurely cruise around the track.

Then there's the letting everyone into the pits, so too bad if you had spent the extra money to actually buy a pit pass. The fact the only shade was in the alcoholic area which isn't the smartest idea if you are trying to promote a family friendly event. A few of the 'events' advertised like the Hillclimb you wouldn't of even known it was going on and those that did make the walk over to see it found that by just after midday those competitors were packing up and going home.

I hope it does continue next year with some major improvements and while i'm a big motorsport fan I really can't see myself going back next year - unfortunately WA has a habit of not learning from previous mistakes.

Barbs needs the upgrades desperately. I love how the media/general public winge about the venue not being up to scratch, if they really knew their stuff, they would know that barbagallo was never designed to be on par with the likes of bathurst, QR or phillip island.

It's a club level track that sees ~50 cars on race days, and a few hundred people, of course it's not designed to handle 20,000+ people for events like yesterday and the V8s (which by contract are back for the next 5 years - which means the upgrades will have to take place after that, by the looks of the plans, they would take more than 12 months to complete to those standards.) It just happens to be the biggest track in WA so it's our 'premier' motorsport venue.

Has anyone else seen the proposed track extension? It looks farking dardy! Longer straight = higher top speeds, separate drift track, new pits and facilities... Should be goooooood! (if the government gets off its ass and does something about it.)

I really wanted this event to do well. Perth needs more events like this. The event management of it was just really novice. Yes the first of anything you expect some teething problems but this was just really basic event management stuff like how to get people to and from the event that was a total fail.

Some people are like 'they weren't expecting as many people as they got' blah blah blah - i call bullshit. Most of the tickets were presold and the media had been quoting 20,000 people attending for the past two weeks. It's not too hard to then go - 'we can park so many cars in car park X, then we will have to park 7,000 cars in the overflow carpark, average is about 3 people per car and the bulk of them will arrive over these 3 hours, buses cater for 70 people and a round trip takes the bus 20mins - therefore we need X amount of buses on rotation to handle these numbers. Having people walk on a very hot day through long grass (snakes) a 3/4km walk is dangerous. Lucky for us we are relatively fit but I saw so many not so fit people, mature age people and people with little kids that looked like they were not far from health problems and if you collapse etc out there - there is no medical attention.It was just dangerous. There were no clear signage on how the buses etc worked or where the stops were, you'd ask staff and they all had different information.

How hard was it for them to call up the people that organise the Super Cars and the event management at the Motorplex etc and go 'This is the event we want to hold, this is the venue we want to use, you've held these types of events before - what are the biggest issues you face? how do you overcome them? what about the event would you do differently etc - it may be their first rodeo but it's not the first WA has hosted a big motorsport event like this and it isn't the first time one has been hosted at Barbegello.

Well really they shouldn't need too. Even as a 2nd year uni student studying sports management I understand the concepts of a risk management plan and correct event planning procedure, which was evidently not followed. Absolute Rule Number 1 when planning a large scale event is to avoid build up of people. Large crowds need to be correctly controlled, otherwise you get situations like the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster.

And when planning an event you use the event planning and implementation model, step 3 of which is Feasibility. The organizers would clearly have known that Barbagallo is not suitable to host that number of people, but probably went ahead with it to make sure it covered the cost of the event. Barbagallo can not safely support the number of people required to make the event financially feasible, therefore the event is not feasible and should never have happened, it's as simple as that.

It's like if Australia won the 2022 FIFA World Cup but WA don't have a big enough stadium so event management decides to sell 80000 tickets for a 35000 capacity stadium, you can't do that.

Barbs needs the upgrades desperately. I love how the media/general public winge about the venue not being up to scratch, if they really knew their stuff, they would know that barbagallo was never designed to be on par with the likes of bathurst, QR or phillip island.

It's a club level track that sees ~50 cars on race days, and a few hundred people, of course it's not designed to handle 20,000+ people for events like yesterday and the V8s (which by contract are back for the next 5 years - which means the upgrades will have to take place after that, by the looks of the plans, they would take more than 12 months to complete to those standards.) It just happens to be the biggest track in WA so it's our 'premier' motorsport venue.

Has anyone else seen the proposed track extension? It looks farking dardy! Longer straight = higher top speeds, separate drift track, new pits and facilities... Should be goooooood! (if the government gets off its ass and does something about it.)

Fact is, if it's not designed to handle the event then it can not be used for the event. Major events are a HUGE risk. The public whinge about being excluded from these events but they don't realize that people die when things go wrong.

As for the proposed upgrades, I can not see them happening any time soon. The WA government are reluctant to invest in a new multi-purpose stadium for AFL/rugby/football/cricket, let alone a single use venue that will not host any events of global importance. IF there are any upgrades carried out on Barbagallo, they will still not be what is required to bring it up to standard. It will end up being to Motorsport what Subiaco Oval is to stadiums - a 'quilt-work' venue that becomes a danger and embarrassment to the spectators and sports that are hosted there.

Nice photo's Cam :P

Well really they shouldn't need too. Even as a 2nd year uni student studying sports management I understand the concepts of a risk management plan and correct event planning procedure, which was evidently not followed. Absolute Rule Number 1 when planning a large scale event is to avoid build up of people. Large crowds need to be correctly controlled, otherwise you get situations like the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster.

And when planning an event you use the event planning and implementation model, step 3 of which is Feasibility. The organizers would clearly have known that Barbagallo is not suitable to host that number of people, but probably went ahead with it to make sure it covered the cost of the event. Barbagallo can not safely support the number of people required to make the event financially feasible, therefore the event is not feasible and should never have happened, it's as simple as that.

It's like if Australia won the 2022 FIFA World Cup but WA don't have a big enough stadium so event management decides to sell 80000 tickets for a 35000 capacity stadium, you can't do that.

Fact is, if it's not designed to handle the event then it can not be used for the event. Major events are a HUGE risk. The public whinge about being excluded from these events but they don't realize that people die when things go wrong.

As for the proposed upgrades, I can not see them happening any time soon. The WA government are reluctant to invest in a new multi-purpose stadium for AFL/rugby/football/cricket, let alone a single use venue that will not host any events of global importance. IF there are any upgrades carried out on Barbagallo, they will still not be what is required to bring it up to standard. It will end up being to Motorsport what Subiaco Oval is to stadiums - a 'quilt-work' venue that becomes a danger and embarrassment to the spectators and sports that are hosted there.

Nice photo's Cam :P

Oh dear. Not sure where to start.

What occured at Hillsborough, ie a soccer pitch in Sheffield, England twenty years ago is not even remotely like Wanneroo.

The venue is set up to handle crowds much larger than the one there on Sunday. The V8's regularly exceeded the 20,000ish people who turned up. You should have tried getting in in the mid 90's before the fences went up around the circuit (ie inside the boundaries)

Australia will never host the Soccer world cup.

The venue is/was perfectly adequate for the event and for what it is worth the government is committed to tipping millions of dollars into it over the next few years.

Oh dear. Not sure where to start.

What occured at Hillsborough, ie a soccer pitch in Sheffield, England twenty years ago is not even remotely like Wanneroo.

The venue is set up to handle crowds much larger than the one there on Sunday. The V8's regularly exceeded the 20,000ish people who turned up. You should have tried getting in in the mid 90's before the fences went up around the circuit (ie inside the boundaries)

Australia will never host the Soccer world cup.

The venue is/was perfectly adequate for the event and for what it is worth the government is committed to tipping millions of dollars into it over the next few years.

I'm not comparing Wanneroo to Hillsborough, I said if you do not control large crowds then that is the situation that can occur. From what I have seen of Barbagallo (including being an entrant at Powercruise last month), it is not setup to safely hold that number of people. Just because 20000+ people can fit inside the venue, does not mean it is safe to do so.

Saying Australia will never host the FIFA World Cup is a very slanted statement mate, you have no idea what will happen. Australia is more than capable of hosting the event and are committed to making it happen, why should it not?

Edited by Hanaldo

F1 car going 100% or 30% , really who gives a shit it was here in WA and many got to see and hear it that normally wouldnt and highlights to the world how Wannaroo is shit facility and maybe something will come from it :P

Enjoyed the day spectating from VIP tent and hope it comes back next year

I'm not comparing Wanneroo to Hillsborough, I said if you do not control large crowds then that is the situation that can occur. From what I have seen of Barbagallo (including being an entrant at Powercruise last month), it is not setup to safely hold that number of people. Just because 20000+ people can fit inside the venue, does not mean it is safe to do so.

Saying Australia will never host the FIFA World Cup is a very slanted statement mate, you have no idea what will happen. Australia is more than capable of hosting the event and are committed to making it happen, why should it not?

Lets see. One was a packed football stadium with standing room only & fenced barriers in front of the spectators. As the mobs rushed to get there in time for kick off the specators at the front were crushed against the fencing. How does that even vaguely relate to being stuck in traffic on the way to Wanneroo?

Wanneroo can and has held far more than the crowd there on Sunday. 30,000+ used to turn up for the V8's. Without the traffic problems experienced on Sunday too I might add.

Football - you are right I don't know which dodgy, busted arse countries will bribe their way to the "earn" the right to host future world cups. I just expect that television rights & timing basically preclude it ever being run here.