SAU Community

Buying An R34 Gtr - Local Or Import?

EVOIV

For those who have bought R34 GTRs, can you tell me your experience with buying local or importing?

I like how there is a large selection of cars to be imported, but the only problem is you can't get them mechanically inspected (e.g compression tested).

Do you find this is a big factor?

Say you're going to spend $40k to $50k on an R34 GTR.

Anyone here who has imported a car and it didn't arrive as you'd hoped?

Any stories/feedback is welcome :P

Cheers!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case, the first R34 I imported was ok but wasn't what I was expecting. Mechanically was great but there was too much underbody rust for my liking so I bought another one that was sold locally and more importantly, I could inspect myself. There's so many examples for sale in the country you'd be silly not to look here first before making your decision to import.

Thanks for the feedback. Only problem is that I'm looking for a blue one which seem hard to come by in my price range. Most are either silver, black or white. I've been looking at importing and I think locally is actually cheaper, but importing has a lot more to offer.

• 1 month later...
In my case, the first R34 I imported was ok but wasn't what I was expecting. Mechanically was great but there was too much underbody rust for my liking so I bought another one that was sold locally and more importantly, I could inspect myself. There's so many examples for sale in the country you'd be silly not to look here first before making your decision to import.

Exactly.

I've worked in the Jap Import industry and NO way would I buy a car for myself out of Japan based on auction description and a few shitty photographs.

I'd much prefer to see, touch, feel any car of that value, especially perfomance cars like the GTR.

spot on. look here first and if you really can't find a suitable car then import but just like in australia you have to pay the right money for the good cars 90% of the time. 10% of the time good cars can be had cheaply both here and in japan for various reasons but the majority of the time: if the price is cheap. the car is cheap.

and funnily enough bayside blue is sought after both here and in japan so if they are out of your price range here they most likely will be to import too. I wouldn't worry too much about colour. just buy the best condition car you can afford. silver is the bargain colour and my personal favourite. actually black is probably even less popular as you loose a lot of the shape in it.

^^^ That was my initial thinking as well as blue was the paramount decision on purchasing the first car. Only to realise what a stupid mistake I made afterwards. But that doesn't mean you won't be able to import a good one. You need to have faith and trust your broker and make sure you ask as many questions as possible. 2 out of 3 cars I've imported have been spectacular.

Don't be put off from importing but at the same time don't forget about cars that are available here as well. And don't buy the cheapest one out there as chances are that it's a lemon.

guys sorry to point out .. the first few posts i was like "okay okay they'll cotton on shortly"

but it's stil going!

guys - OP was 16 Sep 2010, 04:57 PM

thread starter hasn't been seen since he made the thread.. i have an inking by now he's either:

1) made his decision whether or not to import

2) bought a GTR

3) bought another car and sold it and bought another one since

4) moved to Vietnam

=)

guys sorry to point out .. the first few posts i was like "okay okay they'll cotton on shortly"

but it's stil going!

guys - OP was 16 Sep 2010, 04:57 PM

thread starter hasn't been seen since he made the thread.. i have an inking by now he's either:

1) made his decision whether or not to import

2) bought a GTR

3) bought another car and sold it and bought another one since

4) moved to Vietnam

=)

actually, i am here :happy: i have been looking at local GTRs for a few months now. a few interest me, but the price isn't right.

there's a blue one, which is advertised as a 2000 vspec but i've checked the VIN and it's a 1999 non-vspec. owner still wants $52k for it though, which is way too much for it in my opinion. i dunno why he's selling it as a vspec, maybe he mistakenly bought it as one?

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=10F3995EFE23

then there's a 2001 vspec2, but it's pearl white. $54k. still holding out on it as i really want a blue one.

i've been looking a bit on japanese auction sites. most of the GTRs I see are either black, white or silver. not many blue ones or even purple ones go through. ideally i'd love a blue one, followed by a purple one.

guess the search continues...

• 1 month later...

Ive been looking for a GTR for quite sometime now. I will say it might be better to import one. Find yourself a good broker like IronChef and just wait for the right one to come up. Most of time you will get bonus item such as ECU. Local seller will never give you the price that you want and just because you can see and feel the car that doesnt mean you have to pay premium price.

about $82,000 for the first one. around $78,000 for the second one.

I have to be honest though, for $80K on road I'd be looking at a Vspec II NUR in exceptional condition. with a 5 mil yen budget that is certainly obtainable. Those two cars look nice but they are priced into the stratosphere.