SAU Community

Car + Mods Vs. Driver Skill

GHOSTrun

i agree, but its the nurburgring not nurenburg

I agree that one should learn to drive the car first to 9.5/10 before spending money on mods, which will, sooner all later, blow up the car anyway, then watch the salesmen run for cover :-)

As far as being on trial here, it is Nuremberg not Nurenburg...

I agree that one should learn to drive the car first to 9.5/10 before spending money on mods, which will, sooner all later, blow up the car anyway, then watch the salesmen run for cover :-)

Sorry guys it is "Nürburgring"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring

Gt riceri, no wonder you've never modded a car!

In my limited time spent on SAU, and perusing through the R35 GTR forums, I notice there are a lot of threads along the lines of;

- I want to upgrade my brakes

- How do I fix the understeer

- I want more power

etc.

From my understanding, Nissan engineers took a fairly stock standard GTR to Nurburgring and ran a 7:27.something lap time, which is pretty damn quick, and I'm guessing 99.9% of SAU GTR owners would not even come close to that. So is it not fair to say that these people should learn to drive their cars first before spending money on it trying to 'buy' skill?

No disrespect intended to SAU GTR owners as I'm sure there are some very accomplished drivers on the forums (and modding your car is half the fun of owning it! :P ), it's just an observation I've made and I think it is a relevant discussion point - more driving less modding?

Keen to hear your thoughts..

My thoughts: you could argue the opposite; why on earth would you use (more expensive and poorer performing) OEM road tyres, rotors, pads etc for the track? You are paying more, and getting less, and going slower. The GTR is a track oriented car, but, it's also a road going luxo GT barge, it has some significant compromises to keep the latte brigade happy.

Gt riceri, no wonder you've never modded a car!

Now, that's a bold statement to make '09GTR!

Actually I have, by two very reputable tuning houses (legends in their own mind, masters of their own retoric): two cars blew up and it took the vehicles' manufacturers, with a bit of good old legal encouragement,

to come to the party, not the highly skilled tuners, to replace an engine in one and a transmission in the other.

That is why I am so reluctant to tune this rather pricy car outside the warranty...oh, and the fact that, like 90% of enthusiastic modders on this forum, I haven't yet learned to drive the stock GT-R it like Suzuki-san ;)

How is your new car going? Have you started modding it yet?

My thoughts: you could argue the opposite; why on earth would you use (more expensive and poorer performing) OEM road tyres, rotors, pads etc for the track? You are paying more, and getting less, and going slower.

Good point.

Edited by GHOSTrun

The irony was totally lost on you.... He was referring to it being Nurburgring not Nuremberg as in don't put people who mod their cars on trial like the Allies did the Nazis at Nuremberg after the war.

lol, this post is like 3 steps above my intelligence level

• Nope 1

Nice,,

would you rather drive a slow car fast or a fast car slow..

sums it up i'd say...

its not how how you stand by your car its how you drive it

Anyways..its all good, sweet post...peace... ;)