SAU Community

How Many Kms In Your Car?

Bought my 03 Coupe with 50K on the clock and just found out yesterday for sure that the KMs have been wound back....found a sticker with 61,XXX written for when the cabin filter was changed.

More obvious ways to tell if the KMs are suss are excessive wear on the seats and steering wheel for a really low mileage car.

Where is this filter? I picked up my 03 two weeks ago with 27,000km..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard all sorts of tricky ways that they can hide the wear marks. New seat bealts, new carpet and even swapping seats from wrecks. One way to get an idea of how many Ks it's done open up the plenum and have a look for how much soot and carbon build up there is :D

Edited by V35_Paul

When I bought my car from dealer they told me nobody can wind back the kms... now I know it is hardly to believe :D;) . Nevertheless, the car is awesome, not depends on how many kms. lol. BTW, the rate for $$ seems good to shop from somewhere using $US..Can anyone provide some good sources? :):(

When I bought my car from dealer they told me nobody can wind back the kms... now I know it is hardly to believe :(:) . Nevertheless, the car is awesome, not depends on how many kms. lol. BTW, the rate for $$ seems good to shop from somewhere using $US..Can anyone provide some good sources? :P:)

Haha dodge! I remember 5yrs ago shopping for an R33 in Syd, went to this dealership and there was a clean series 2 M Spec with 45,000kms.

Dealer gave me all the spill, then i see this timing belt sticker which had 92,000kms written on it...needless to say he had no leg to stand on!

Edited by TUFF_350

When I bought my car from dealer they told me nobody can wind back the kms... now I know it is hardly to believe :(:)

lol... definitely possible. In fact there was an auction on Yahoo Auctions earlier this year for a device that allowed the V35/M35 odo to be wound back to whatever you wanted.

Where is this filter? I picked up my 03 two weeks ago with 27,000km..

It's behind the glovebox where the fan unit sits.

27,000Km does sound pretty low but as everyone suggested, just match the condition of the car to the mileage and you should be able to tell if it's genuine.

Another thing I found (not related to mileage) was a collection of weird looking leaves stuck between my lower plenum and the engine block. How the hell did it get in there? 0_o

is this mostly happen on buying them from Dealer or Import from japan yourself such as J-spec or Prestige motorsport? Because I import mine on end 2008 and got 27,000km on the clock are spot on with the service manual stamps. Also mine is 2003 V35 coupe.

lol... definitely possible. In fact there was an auction on Yahoo Auctions earlier this year for a device that allowed the V35/M35 odo to be wound back to whatever you wanted.

That sorta stuff should be outlawed!

my R32 has been in nz since 1996 at which point the mileage was recorded at 44,664. very believable for a 1991 model i think.

has obviously had a few un-skilled DIY enthusiast owners before me though, have spent a lot of time and money correcting their mistakes.

amateurs.. they have no business messing with things they dont understand

I got arse raped for being ignorent when buying mine.Bought a manual that was originally an auto which has a manual cluster in it.It's been a great car though and has responded well to the mods i have done to it.But yeh,if only i knew about vin fast before i bought the skyline.I know i will never get any decent kind of money for it now which is why i am going to turn it into a track car since i have recently got my self a more suitable daily.Bought it 3 years ago from a dealer on the gold coast with 71000 kms on the clock.Looking at the interior i would say that it is better than most australian cars i have seen with 40000 kms on them so i'd say they changed the whole interior.It's like brand new,even now. If anyone wants to know the name of the caryard i bought it from who are still running you can PM me and will supply the name.

November 2007 V36 Coupe picked up June 2010 with 15,000 K. I figure it was 2 and a bit years old when it left Japan and although 15,000K is low it's not as unrealistic as say 25,000 on an 03 V35.

Now i can be suspicious by nature. Some things that make me think it's not correct are a few more stone chips than i would imagine for a low KM car and the fact that there were no books in the glove box at all. Also I am getting some brake shudder which doesn't seems normal, does it?

On the positive, the interior is practically new with the exception of a few marks. The trim around the start button has a crack which has been glued, but i think this was done in Australia when the immobilizer was fitted.

Also the brake rotors don't look like they have seen to many KMS and the wheels only have a few minor marks.

Anyway, love the car and got a cracking deal on it (the cheapest black V36 370 GT Type S I have seen anywhere) so I don't really care about the e KMS. Over the next four years I'm likely to do about 100,000 KMS in it anyway and as long as it gets lots of oil changes in between and i don't drive it too hard, too often, I'm sure it will be fine.

^ Mine also did not come with any books at all, not even the manual. Wonder if this is the same case for all the cars SSV have in their yard...

had my v36 self imported with all books and service papers, sold to another buyer.

seen few examples of V36 from dealers in syd with 5K< kms which looked a lot like 20-30K to me, all 2007. makes you think.

I got arse raped for being ignorent when buying mine.Bought a manual that was originally an auto which has a manual cluster in it.It's been a great car though and has responded well to the mods i have done to it.But yeh,if only i knew about vin fast before i bought the skyline.I know i will never get any decent kind of money for it now which is why i am going to turn it into a track car since i have recently got my self a more suitable daily.Bought it 3 years ago from a dealer on the gold coast with 71000 kms on the clock.Looking at the interior i would say that it is better than most australian cars i have seen with 40000 kms on them so i'd say they changed the whole interior.It's like brand new,even now. If anyone wants to know the name of the caryard i bought it from who are still running you can PM me and will supply the name.

Sorry forgot to ask, did your car (R33 I take it?) have a mod plate for the conversion?

My car didn't come with any service history, I asked to look at the auction sheet and took it to show some old mates that could read it. It seemed fine. I also had to source my own owners manual, which I got from the local importer down the road (bought the car elsewhere). I also had to source my own rego sticker as I got tired of waiting.

Edited by omp