SAU Community

Clicking/rattling Noise When Engine Rev

Meebs

I don't think it has anything to do with the cat.

As I mentioned earlier, there are two blue plugs ( see the attachment). They are the variable valve timing stuff. So If you unplug the one on the left hand side (driver's side), the noise's gone. whereas if it is plugged, you will get that ticking rattling noise up to 2000rmp and when you go over it, it disappears.

Therefore I don't think it has anything to do with the cat.

Some said it's the valve lifter, some said it's caused by a broken spring (valve spring), Nuwan said it might be timing chain.

I will take it to Nuwan's shop tomorrow as he sounds like he knows about these cars.

If it doesn't work, I'm planning to go to TAFE and do a mechanic course.

Sick and tired of it.

Edited by NISMO-61

Nuwan doesn't seem to know these electromagnetic VQ25's too well, the last guy got a 5k quote for engine out, replace cam chains etc and it wouldn't have fixed the issue. Will be interesting to see what he has to say.

Yours is a 2.5?

I can definitely have a look for you, get on to it soon as it will only get worse.

do you hear it when you rev in Neutral?

or just when your driving accelerating?

When the blue plug is plugged, you hear it in neutral ONLY when you kick the accelerator. If you let it run in idle, no problem at all.

when you drive, you hear it up to 2000rpm and then it disappears.

and is it like "metal to metal" rattling? like a tinny sound??

It's not tinny at all. It's like a rattle gun. It's a strong and disturbing sound.

Nuwan doesn't seem to know these electromagnetic VQ25's too well, the last guy got a 5k quote for engine out, replace cam chains etc and it wouldn't have fixed the issue. Will be interesting to see what he has to say.

Yours is a 2.5?

I can definitely have a look for you, get on to it soon as it will only get worse.

Mine is 3.0. VQ30DD engine.

Nuwan will have a look at it. I just rang him today and he said he is dealing with three more at the moment. I will just take it down there to see what he says.

where exactly you are Scotty. I would like to take it to your place and have a bit of discussion as well.

oh man, when you said it's not like a "tinny" sound, so not a metal to metal sound... then I would think it's not the Cats...

when you step on the accelerator in Neutral you can see hear the sound clearly is that right?

oh man, when you said it's not like a "tinny" sound, so not a metal to metal sound... then I would think it's not the Cats...

when you step on the accelerator in Neutral you can see hear the sound clearly is that right?

Correction, it is 'tinny'. I read is as 'tiny'. Sorry :unsure:

Yes it is tinny as if two metals are banging into each other. As i said it sounds like a rattle gun.

When I step on the accelerator in neutral, I can hear it until the rev gets over 2000rpm. Same thing happens while driving.

Correction, it is 'tinny'. I read is as 'tiny'. Sorry :unsure:

Yes it is tinny as if two metals are banging into each other. As i said it sounds like a rattle gun.

When I step on the accelerator in neutral, I can hear it until the rev gets over 2000rpm. Same thing happens while driving.

does the sound occur all the way from 0k rpm to 2000 rpms? or between say 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm?

and whereabouts is the sound coming from? engine bay or somewhere below the steering wheel/front wheel???

Mine happens up to 2000rpm as I believe that where the variable valve timing is needed. After 2000, there is no knocking noise at all.

Hi Nismo, how did you go? Did you end up getting the problem fixed?

I've decided to live with my noise as I'm pretty sure mine is just something loose down in the exhaust, I'll just get them to tighten some bolts down there at my next service.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think I will get it fixed.

If I try to sell the car, how much you reckon I would get?

Spend 3.5K to get it fixed........ I would rather drive it this way and when its completely dead I will sell the parts and get rid of it.

The next car I would buy is not going to be any more expensive than $500.

I'm sick and tired of new technology shits.

I dont think I will get it fixed.

If I try to sell the car, how much you reckon I would get?

Spend 3.5K to get it fixed........ I would rather drive it this way and when its completely dead I will sell the parts and get rid of it.

The next car I would buy is not going to be any more expensive than $500.

I'm sick and tired of new technology shits.

lol fair eniough mate, but 3.5k to get it fixed? You could buy a used engine for that price isn't it?

Is it just the VCT problem?

who quoted you 3.5k? seems abit much isn't it..

• 1 year later...