SAU Community

Making Lobster Back Piping

Proximity Motorsport

Heres inside the tube I back purge all my pipe work so there is no dags inside the pipe and when you get full penetration like above the welds are ALOT stronger.

I have had my Stainless tube work pressure tested at over 20bar without issue :yes:

DSC_0689.jpg

Thanks :) yes they are all just fused no filler wire mate. I weld fairly hot but I move fast as I walk the ceramic (a welding technique) I weld tube at about 55 amps but if you are still learning id suggest around 40-45 amps depending on your welder as some are hotter than others. For welding tube id suggest getting a gas lense as it gives better gas coverage over your arc. No fancy settings just set the right amps (machine pending) I set my ramp up fairly cold at bout 20amp base temp at 50-55amp and I set my ramp down to about 3.5 seconds and my post purge to bout 5 seconds. If you look at pic above you can see where I start to ramp down the amps and continue weaving up the tube. Notice the colour change towards the end where I let the post purge cool down end of the run (the bluey colour)

When I purge I run about 5-7 lpm through the tube with basically a hole I stab with my filler wire.

Yes I used pickling paste to clean the welds but just polish it by hand with green scotchbrite pads

HAHA thanks Johnny well it is what I do for a living so id hope id be good at it lol!

To that I answer is the pope a catholic? Cash and beer are both very important parts of my life :yes:

damnnnnn Mick, that's top notch welding!

Hope you're up for some welding and payment by slabs of beer & cash lol