SAU Community

Rev Limter On Na R33?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got so sick of the sound of my NA that i ditched it and bought a DET. but seriously, might i recommend an aftermarket ECU with launch control. youl be able to pop flames and crackles when your hitting your 4grand limiter :P and down the track if you mod the car its adaptable to whatever you put on it :O

haha, reading through this you all seem like massive assholes.

For starters, its going to do the same damage to an N/A motor/exhaust as it would to a turbo motor and exhaust. And hektic drifters do it all the time for the 'lols'; I see this as exactly the same (regardless of power/performance).

It's stupid in them and its stupid in this, BUT if its your thing then who cares, go for it. There is nothing stopping you from doing it, a standard one that people use on turbo 'drift cars' will work fine, you'll just have to drop a few rpm on stock ecu (obviously cant have it at the same point as your fuel-cut limiter). Yes its illegal, so I'd recommend leaving it switched off on the street but you will also have to decat your car or it won't work (and would f**k your cat anyway) which kills puppies but does give a bit of a performance gain.

It's not likely going to hurt your motor any more than bouncing off the limiter otherwise would, the main thing it hurts is everything after your engine - aka in your exhaust (cat/o2/mufflers/gaskets)

You already have a huge exhaust, and if you get an ignition-limiter, then like a champ you should fit a small wet shot of nitrous to your car for track use as it'd be setup ready for it. (Heaps of people blow up cars on nitrous by driving past fuel-cut rev limiters and leaning out)

ITT: SKiT is the man. Informative post without the name calling. Half the dopes here once came, read, learned, now think they are king because long ago someone much nicer than them gave them the info they needed usually without the insults. Yes, you can use the search, but these original, informative posts are now hugely diluted with retardation. Just adding to SKiT's post:

Aside from this, "I" don't know how much crackle you'll get because you'll have to get the exhaust temps up. "I" don't get crackle from "mine" unless "I" give it a few hard gears first to heat it up, and it's turbo for that matter.

"I" know that if "I" specifically drifted an NA car "I'd" still have an ignition limiter for it's far smoother limiting of the revs, less jerkiness, no on-off bullshit. But "I" wouldn't need one for a NA car driven normally, it's not like you're going to reach that limiter reeeeal fast now.

My 2 cents. Enjoy the day. :P

most of the posts aren't name calling? N/A section is hella lol for these kind of threads.

Yeah your N/A with a 3.5" exhaust might be loud, but so is a VN with no exhaust, they both sound like shit lol.

look, you havent heard it...so i dont know how u can just go about sayin what it sounds like. it doesn't have a dirt bike sound to it like ur car might.. it has a deep sound that makes people wonder whats under that hood..

No it doesnt sound good. Have you ever heard of back pressure. Naturally asperated engines rely on it. The same as two stroke engines rely on an expansion pipe. engines without sufficent back pressure sound like absolute ass. They run poorly and are slower to gain rpm.

The person who sold you a 3.5 inch exhaust for a 2.5 litre engine with no form of forced induction is a moron.

What is wrong with people. there is a calculation to obtain maximum exhaust size for a given car. Just because something is loud doesnt mean it sounds nice. does a lawn mower sound nice? Does an ecotec with no mufflers sound nice? My track car with a side pipe sounds like ass on the street because of how loud it is. And thats with forced induction. It would sound even worse without it.

Read up on back pressure.

Your car is loud becuase the oversized exhaust it preventing it from running as nissan engineers designed it to. How can an engine that isnt running as it should sound any good? Or has the years of development in internal combustion engines been wrong?

No it doesnt sound good. Have you ever heard of back pressure. Naturally asperated engines rely on it. The same as two stroke engines rely on an expansion pipe. engines without sufficent back pressure sound like absolute ass. They run poorly and are slower to gain rpm.

The person who sold you a 3.5 inch exhaust for a 2.5 litre engine with no form of forced induction is a moron.

What is wrong with people. there is a calculation to obtain maximum exhaust size for a given car. Just because something is loud doesnt mean it sounds nice. does a lawn mower sound nice? Does an ecotec with no mufflers sound nice? My track car with a side pipe sounds like ass on the street because of how loud it is. And thats with forced induction. It would sound even worse without it.

Read up on back pressure.

WTF NO THEY DONT!!!!!@@!@!!

Ever noticed NA drag cars with NO exhaust, or a F1 car....do you see them with 2.5" exhausts on them because they're 2.4L.

The back pressure thing is an old wives tale and I am sick to fkn death of hearing people go on an on about it and telling others that they need pea shooter exhausts on the car.

The only exhaust tuning is done with the primary pipes (eg the headers and the shape of the collector) the part after that just carries the gasses out the back of the car and gives somewhere to put some mufflers.

has more to do with engine response...from my experience. went from my stock exhaust with blitz cannon to a custom made 2.5" system with two mufflers, the original exhaust had more response down low in the rev range but petered out toward higher revs, whereas the 2.5" one had less balls down low but revved alot more freely in the higher revs...

Drag cars and formula one cars are a little bit different to a car car thats going to be driven at half the rpm. At 10 000 rpm yes it is going to hinder flow. Yes it does affect response. Thats why I said it makes the car gain rpm slower. Its not a wives tail. And two of my cars drove like shit with large exhausts.made them feel f**king dead at around 4000 rpm.

And do u honestly think that natrually asperated engines can never have an exhaust to big. U can litrally hear when an exhaust is too big. It sounds shit. Very shit

A drag engine is not even close to ideal for a street car. as are many of the things people run on drag engines. High rpm horsepower on a drag engine is not acheived the same way you acheive drivability on a street car.

I can see where u comin from zebra. And yes in many aplications no restricion is need at all. Like u mentioned in drag s and another would be on boat outboars. They run perfectly fine with minimal exhaust systems. but I honestly think that the performance and sound do have some corrilation. I think that large exhaust on small na motors sound shit and once a certain size for a given motor is exceeded it looses performance as well as a nice note. I think the reason they start to sound shit is because of less back pressure. I only run 3.5 inch on rb30det

You don’t want backpressure on any modern car, N/A or otherwise - needing backpressure started with old carby cars with high overlap cams.

Having a larger diameter exhaust’s increase backpressure, as it increases the volume of air you need to move which cools and slows it, this is the doughy feeling or the loss in response/low end power people feel. Having an exhaust suited to your application (cams/compression/capacity/boost) should mean the pipe size is suited for the best exhaust velocity that matches your peak power output (or where you want peak flow efficiency).

That said, if you put it on the dyno, there would be f**k all in it. I've driven many N/A & N/A+T cars before and after with small to large exhausts, with turbo's and without and apart from sound and a bit of a doughy feel, it really makes SFA difference.

The same could be said for people with stock RB20DET's running 3" & 3.5" exhausts, these cars can make the same power and have a similar exhaust gas output as N/A RB25/30's but just doesn't start this shit everytime someone mentions it....

If he wants to have a large exhaust then let him, it’s his car and his deal, I don’t know why you all care so much.

Correct, on the dyno at the end of the rpm range there prob would be sfa in it. But in my experience its in the middle of the rev range it can cause a loss of power. And yes in my ute it was carby and more valve overlap. But had same effect in my 33 gtst.

and about the 3 inch exhaust on a rb20det. Wouldnt the exhaust wheel on the turbo be a fare restriction? The turbo its self is creating some restricion anyway? Feel free to correct me on this if you have ur own feelings on this. Also obviously more exhaust gas too I spose due to the fact plenty of air is being forced into the engine.

Lol hopefully I'm not just come across as provocative. I do think discusion is the best way for everyone to become more informed or knowledgeable

Just because the engine was carburetted doesnt mean it had a heap of valve overlap.....

The reason the cars "seem" to loose power is because they generally run lean after freeing up the exhaust and need the tune touched up.

The more efficiant the the motor the more power it will make and that includes the tune

A motor WILL NOT loose power if it becomes more efficient. Period.