SAU Community

Nsw To Overhaul Driver Demerit System

jawrgy

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/816769...-demerit-system

The NSW driver demerit system will be overhauled to give motorists more points while for some offences points will be reduced or deleted, Premier Kristina Keneally says.

Ms Keneally on Monday announced that cabinet had agreed to the sweeping demerit point reforms, as well as changes to how the controversial mobile speed cameras are marked.

Under the government proposal, unrestricted drivers would get an additional point, from 12 to 13.

Professional drivers, such as couriers and taxi drivers, would get two additional points, from 12 to 14.

Demerit points for 22 offences would also be reduced or deleted, she said.

"(These changes) recognise that most drivers in NSW do the right thing, and they deserve a break, they deserve a fair go," Ms Keneally said.

Ms Keneally said the unpopular mobile speed cameras would also be more clearly marked, including warning signs placed at least 50 metres before the camera vehicles.

The cars will also be clearly signposted and marked in bright colours, she said.

"Mobile speed cameras are on the road to make people slow down - we've said that from the start," she said.

"However, the reality is the majority of drivers do the right thing.

"We've heard community concerns about mobile speed cameras loud and clear and we are responding."

NRMA Motoring and Services president Wendy Machin said the reforms were a "big win" for motorists.

"Premier Kristina Keneally ... should be congratulated for listening to the concerns of NRMA's members and all motorists and introducing these sound measures," she said in a statement.

"We wanted to see the demerit system made fairer, without sacrificing safety."

Ms Machin said plans to introduce warning signs 50 metres in front of mobile speed cameras would significantly reduce community angst.

"These warning signs will go a long way to building community confidence that these cameras are not about revenue raising but keeping our roads safe," she said.

^^^ ken oath, Owen

Mobile cameras can get you from much further than 50m.....more like over 500m.

As for reducing demerit points...........It's proof that they are more interested in making money from offences, not increasing safety.

If you were inclined to speed often, what would slow you down more?

- Having $200 less dollars in your account with the possibility of paying another?

- Having 1 point left before you lose your licence?

agree, makes a mockery of safety. of course this might seem like theyre making life easier for people now it's probably something much more underhanded like minimising opposition when they double their revenue raising efforts later. Maybe as part of a holiday blitz?

Position Vacant March 2011:-

POLITICIAN: Must have the capacity to...

* lie about how you set up rules to save lives

* lie to stay in power

* lie straight in bed by placing ceiling mirrors at odd angles

* lie and appear as if you're telling the truth

* lie and lie and lie bald-faced

Position Vacant March 2011:-

POLITICIAN: Must have the capacity to...

* lie about how you set up rules to save lives

* lie to stay in power

* lie straight in bed by placing ceiling mirrors at odd angles

* lie and appear as if you're telling the truth

* lie and lie and lie bald-faced

I can do this, gimme a job and a hefty pension when I "retire" in disgrace for farming NSW for its hot bitches.

I think the guys whinging about this should go live in Victoria for a while. At least the NSW government is willing to identify the mobile speed cameras. The Victorian government seems to make them increasingly harder to notice.

As a motorist, would you guys rather pay a $200 fine or lose some demerit points? I would rather pay the fine, because I need my license.

Edited by ras1983

I think the guys whinging about this should go live in Victoria for a while. At least the NSW government is willing to identify the mobile speed cameras. The Victorian government seems to make them increasingly harder to notice.

As a motorist, would you guys rather pay a $200 fine or lose some demerit points? I would rather pay the fine, because I need my license.

Having said that though; currently we're given 4 "chances" until we lose the license (based on 3 points ea), now they're making it 5 (end up with -2 pts, but I digress).

Let's say hypothetically they stay with $231 for 10-20 over, then that makes the Govt/RTA $1155 instead of $924 per driver losing their license, and it seems that there's a LOT of them. Let's go on a rough example and say per year, 3000 people lose their license (no statistic evidence, I'm guessing). That's another $231*3000 they make, while just seeming to give serial speeders more leeway. ($693,000, by the way). I know it's not all that much in the scheme of things, but still. Admittedly for the average person who might get stung once and go, ooh shit, better slow down... It's not that much of a drama.

It just seems like a last-minute grab for Ms Kenally to try and mollify the NSW populace. We've all got the shits with NSW Labor as it is; I don't think this is going to make people turn around and go, hey, everything else they f**ked up wasn't that bad.

(Not that I want Libs in there either...)

EDIT:: Your point about signage for the cameras is true though; they've been sitting in some pretty sneaky spots. At least a sign will be a "hey, if you haven't been watching your speedo, do so NOW".

Lulz at same people with these sorts of threads....deja vu much lol.

I dont know how people can get pinged so many times.....aside from 1 time when I was 18 and stupid I have never lost points on been fined.

WTF do these people do to be constantly caught speeding?

BINGO!

An here-in lies the point. For people to drive safer, they should be increasing demerit points, not reducing them and increasing the fines.

That is human nature. You can live without $200 for a week or two, but living without a licence for 3,6 or 12 months..........it takes away your independence.

A much better use of fear of consequences to increase safer driving.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/816769...-demerit-system

The NSW driver demerit system will be overhauled to give motorists more points while for some offences points will be reduced or deleted, Premier Kristina Keneally says.

Ms Keneally on Monday announced that cabinet had agreed to the sweeping demerit point reforms, as well as changes to how the controversial mobile speed cameras are marked.

Under the government proposal, unrestricted drivers would get an additional point, from 12 to 13.

Professional drivers, such as couriers and taxi drivers, would get two additional points, from 12 to 14.

Demerit points for 22 offences would also be reduced or deleted, she said.

"(These changes) recognise that most drivers in NSW do the right thing, and they deserve a break, they deserve a fair go," Ms Keneally said.

I read this with interest in the paper this morning; "Extra points, that might be good" I thought ."ONE point, whoopee doo, don't do us any favours ok?"

The bit that concerned me was when I looked at the "demerit points for 22 offences will be reduced or deleted"

Did anyone else aside from me notice that one of the demerit point offences having points deleted was for "Not using indicators"?

So while you're enjoying your ONE extra point, watch out for all the pinheads who no longer have to use their indicators as they change lanes in their clapped out Hyundai's & Corolla's and smash into your nice shiny car.

Fair dinkum, they should be tripling the demerit points on that one, not eliminating them altogether!

Maybe they should remove the requirement to have tread on your tyres while they're at it; because 70% of drivers under 30, have no idea how to ascertain safe tread depth...

I bloody give up. :blink: Our government doesn't give a toss about us, and all the general public see is "Yay, I got an extra f##king point, so now I can drive like even more of a nonce than I did before!"

As an aside, I have a clean license, but I do speed occasionally (as does everyone) and have been caught; but not as many times as I've sped, so I'll cop a fine on the chin if I get one.

End Rant...

Edited by Daleo

WTF do these people do to be constantly caught speeding?

:thumbsup: As Owen said > Constantly speed = bad habit

Dale has made some good points that certain violations need more points - not less; and others need less points - not more.

Bit sick 'n tired of bureaucrats who hardly ever drive, dictating terms and hardly taking notice of NRMA/Car Club/CAMS/Driving Instructor feedback.

Mentality of non drivers or anti-cars, like Bob Carr, Clover Moore et al is endemic in politics.

As I was having a rant to my family last night: The "good" drivers that this "helps" won't even notice, as they're the ones doing the right thing and therefore not losing any points at all. You could actually drop full licensed drivers down to 7 points, and the "good" drivers won't notice, because they're not losing any.

Meanwhile, it (theoretically) would get the bad drivers off the road quicker, except they'd just drive without a license anyway. Oh wait, but that would mean that the Govt. don't get the money that comes in from a 5-strikes-you're-out rule.

srsly guize, this isn't a win for motorists, it's a win for money.