SAU Community

Ignition Timing Problem,

beRwick_GTRage

im trying to set my ignition timing using a timing light following the instructions in the r34 workshop manual.

the engine is an rb25neo which is in an r32.

i cant set the timing any lower than 20 degrees. my cas is turned as far as it goes in the clockwise position

is 20 degrees safe to run on a stock engine? why cant i set it any lower?

where are you hooking the timing lights induction clamp up to? the induction loop at the rear of the engine? it will be a blue or white wire. if so your timing light may be reading double. i know mine does, its just a basic cheap timing light i got from supercheap.

Edited by QWK32

From memory you have to unplug one of the plugs from the AAC valve to get the true reading. Think it's the purple plug

Thats on a 33 anyway figured 34 would be the same. Mine was the same until I unplugged that plug. Have a search it's on here somewhere

where are you hooking the timing lights induction clamp up to? the induction loop at the rear of the engine? it will be a blue or white wire. if so your timing light may be reading double. i know mine does, its just a basic cheap timing light i got from supercheap.

thanks for the reply

yer clamping it to the loop at the rear of the engine.

are you using a TFT timing light?

does it say to half it in the instruction booklet?

thanks for the reply

yer clamping it to the loop at the rear of the engine.

are you using a TFT timing light?

does it say to half it in the instruction booklet?

i just checked, it is a TFT one. i didn't read the instructions but i know it works perfectly when clamping a spark plug lead. it must be something to do with that induction loop at the back of the engine that cheap timing lights don't like. i've tested it by setting the timing the way blind_elk said, then looking at the reading using the induction loop. it was double. i haven't tested this on my RB25 but on my old RB20 which was the same, if i looped the induction loop through the clamp twice it would read correctly. weird hey :(

+1 for ignition lead between spark plug and coil. Thats how I checked mine and it worked well

and now that you mention it, it might be the TPS plug I was thinking of lol I dunno

but like i said its on here somewhere, have a search

+1 for ignition lead between spark plug and coil. Thats how I checked mine and it worked well

and now that you mention it, it might be the TPS plug I was thinking of lol I dunno

but like i said its on here somewhere, have a search

ive tried using an ignition lead i get no reading from the timing light; it doesnt flash

how did you guys make yours?

i put the sprk plug end onto the sparkplug then put a bolt into the clip on the ther end then put the bolt into the coilpack.

does it matter what my base idle speed is?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-st...id=9371#details

is this the timing light you have?

I've got a neo in my 32. I was told when I got it tuned that the ECU needs a speed reading for the VCT to work.

So when I get my 33 gearbox I'm going to get them to hook up the speed sender to the ECU and get it retuned.

Don't know if that helps.

Another technique I use is to the pull back the black conduit on the number 1 plug to expose the 3 coil plug wires and then place the timing light over all 3 wires. This should give you the correct reading.

Another technique I use is to the pull back the black conduit on the number 1 plug to expose the 3 coil plug wires and then place the timing light over all 3 wires. This should give you the correct reading.

i tried this and i get the same reading as i get from the loop at the rear.

can someone please explain exactly how they made thier ignition lead

Just use an ordinary spark plug lead. Peel back the "distributor" end fitting (shorter cap) and insert the exposed lead end into the coil so the lead contacts the coil's output pin. You don't need a bolt or anything similar.

Just use an ordinary spark plug lead. Peel back the "distributor" end fitting (shorter cap) and insert the exposed lead end into the coil so the lead contacts the coil's output pin. You don't need a bolt or anything similar.

still get no reading from the light, and the cylinder is definitely runnning. also tried the light on my friends car which has leads and it works on that.

does base idle effect what reading id be getting for timing? do i need to adjust my base idle to 650rpm before i get a true reading?

Base idle will have a minor effect on the reading you get. But I would expect only 1-2 deg variance from spec. Are you sure the lead you are using isn't broken at all?

You could also try removing the boot from the coil and connecting the plug lead to the coil.

Edited by blind_elk

Base idle will have a minor effect on the reading you get. But I would expect only 1-2 deg variance from spec. Are you sure the lead you are using isn't broken at all?

You could also try removing the boot from the coil and connecting the plug lead to the coil.

i couldnt get the ignition lead to work so i used a bit of 6mm copper building wire.

it works well, when the car is idling with the tps in i get a normal reading and am able to adjust the timing throughout the whole timing range.

but when i attempt to make a reading when the car is in base idle mode i cant get the timing any lower than 20.

how do i know if the car is in base idle mode? if im using conzult and i open the base idle adjustment screen does this put the car into base idle mode?

if not, what program can i use to do this?

Download the ecutalk program, I THINK it can set the car into base idle mode but it's been a while since I've fiddled. I did get it to work using the free version of Conzult too

ive got ecutalk, it doesnt have any options for base idle mode.

is ecutalk showing 20 degrees when in base idle mode, or just the timing light?

if on the timing marks, which timing mark are you thinking is 20 degrees? the timing marks are 5 degrees each, so 20 degrees is the 4th mark from the left.

realistically though, as long as the timing with the timing light matches that of the ecu then your timing is set right.

is ecutalk showing 20 degrees when in base idle mode, or just the timing light?

if on the timing marks, which timing mark are you thinking is 20 degrees? the timing marks are 5 degrees each, so 20 degrees is the 4th mark from the left.

realistically though, as long as the timing with the timing light matches that of the ecu then your timing is set right.

the 4th mark from the left. on conzult my timing sits on 15 degrees when at idle.

how do i get to base idle mode using my consult cable?