SAU Community

Fake Defect?

Aaron BNR32 GTS-T

so coming home form the girlfriends house and was crusing up the Cahill Express way and there's the RBT

on the left hand side. im ushered in and waiting in the que a cop goes down on his knees and starts shining a torch

into the front bar on my car. comes up to the window and asks if my FMIC is engeneered... "dont know sir was there when i bought it"

and it started from there.....

end of the time they are finished i have been done for

strut brace

FMIC

zorst

ARC air box

just wondering if its fake?

the officer never identified who he was and who he was with etc and didnt write that on the defect notice.....

they wernt highway either...

heres my notice

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/896/defect.jpg

Edited by Aaron BNR32 GTS-T

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im more amazed at being defected for a strut brace ????

And a fucking after-market airbox!???

Show me the legislation that clearly prohibits an airbox. An air box wouldn't affect emissions as it doesn't interfere with any sensors, noise, ground clearance or structural integrity.

And the dumbfuck coppa ticked suspension when a strut brace is clearly classed as a chassis/body mod.

I just LOL at the fact that coppers think that these type of things are somehow increasing road safety and reducing the road toll.

Edited by turbo x-trail

What a bs defect notice...i'd call the rta and ask them about it. Its very strange that there are no details of anyone who inspected the car. Aftermarket this, aftermarket that, surprised they didnt do you for aftermarket floormats or seat covers! Cop must not have liked you....or been bored. Sorry to hear.

Yeah that shit is real. Even if they didn't sign it, you have been issued a defect number which gets entered into their computer back at HQ which is then sent to the RTA.

Pretty much anything on your car which is not stock/original/OEM is defective unless you have an engineering cert to back it up.

It's pretty retarded they got you for the strut brace... did you replace the original with an after market one? If you didn't then you will have no problem getting that cleared.

Which brings me to my next point. There's an easy way or long way around getting this cleared...

If you can find a mechanic that does blueslips and is laidback/not an asshole, he might let you off lightly with your car "as is".

- or -

Getting an engineering cert which costs between 400-$500 and getting everything to complied:

• Ensure your exhaust is under 90db. This is measured 1 metre away from your exhaust tip @ 5000rpm.
  • Passing an emissions IM240 test for having an aftermarket FMIC and Airbox. Pretty much any modification to the induction system warrants an emissions test so just be conscious of this.
    TIP: Bolt the original airbox back on and convince the engineering assessor your FMIC is "Stock", that way you don't have to get tested.
  • Strut brace should be fine. Aftermarket or not, make sure they specify it anyways in the engineering report. You're paying good money for them to write the report. That way your certificate will 'trump' any policemen's claims that it's a "defect".

After all is said and done and you have your report, take it to the bluslipper and then to the RTA and show them the report to attach to your registration.

Edited by Owens

My engineering cert cost $990, best money I ever spent, covered everything which is not stock, which is nearly everything.

Only had to fix a few things like remove turbo timer, plumb in catch can.

they can defect you for anything they THINK is defectable but they can not fine you for something they THINK is a defect. the mechanic that inspects the car will know if its a defect or not, it doesnt matter what they write on the slip.

Yeah that shit is real. Even if they didn't sign it, you have been issued a defect number which gets entered into their computer back at HQ which is then sent to the RTA.

Pretty much anything on your car which is not stock/original/OEM is defective unless you have an engineering cert to back it up.

It's pretty retarded they got you for the strut brace... did you replace the original with an after market one? If you didn't then you will have no problem getting that cleared.

Which brings me to my next point. There's an easy way or long way around getting this cleared...

If you can find a mechanic that does blueslips and is laidback/not an asshole, he might let you off lightly with your car "as is".

- or -

Getting an engineering cert which costs between 400-$500 and getting everything to complied:

• Ensure your exhaust is under 90db. This is measured 1 metre away from your exhaust tip @ 5000rpm.
  • Passing an emissions IM240 test for having an aftermarket FMIC and Airbox. Pretty much any modification to the induction system warrants an emissions test so just be conscious of this.
    TIP: Bolt the original airbox back on and convince the engineering assessor your FMIC is "Stock", that way you don't have to get tested.
  • Strut brace should be fine. Aftermarket or not, make sure they specify it anyways in the engineering report. You're paying good money for them to write the report. That way your certificate will 'trump' any policemen's claims that it's a "defect".

After all is said and done and you have your report, take it to the bluslipper and then to the RTA and show them the report to attach to your registration.

The copper came up and asked Aaron that 1st Q, "Is that FMIC engineered?"

If he'd responded with a "Yes officer, I have the certificate right here", just like how you Owen & Mark have recommended, nothing else would have occurred/transpired. End of story. :thumbsup:

cheers fellas

yeah can either go stock and then get everything i want for my car (all my mods) wait a couple of months and then get it tuned and engeneered.

funnything is apparently they have changed the testing for exhaust and airbox you have to have a drive by noise test but you cant do it on public roads so it will cost you about 8k to hire a private peice of road.

ive heard busses and trucks and god dam harleys louder than my car!!!! load of shit really!

ive got and 5ZIGEN spec-A pro racer exhaust which is JASMA approved at 90 or less DB ( http://www.nengun.com/5zigen/pro-racer-a-spec ) i said that to the cop but he just shrugged it off

i think the cop just thought 'aftermarket' and went crazy, my strut brace is one off a GTR so dont know what they can do for that? he didnt see my B-pillar brace and he looked at all my guages and apexi AVCR sitting on the dash and let them go =/

i can get it signed off as is for $100 or make it stock and only pay $29 opinions?

will post some pics of my car up for you guys to see

Aftermarket airbox? is it just black or like really fancy colours or something?

I just read this off the site: "Meets new JASMA 90db average noise limitations".

Average doesn't mean it WILL be under 90db no matter what...

Also, JASMA is a Japanese standard not an Australian Design Rule (ADR) standard which even still counts for nothing in the end, if they want to list it as a defect for a mechanic to check out, they can.

He heard you rant about your 'racer exhaust' and only heard the words 'defectable aftermarket exhaust with blue tip to make my job x100 easier'.

FYI Just be careful planning out future mods, do alot of research to make your car as legal as possible as an engeneers certificate doesn't make you immune.

yeah the exhaust was tested by the previous owner and it had a max spike of 91dB it was under the rest of the time

the airbox is an ARC item heres my engine bay

5331290557_a1f56b9e18_b.jpg

there isn many more mods i want to do, just want to get a vg30 turbo, gtr injectors, z32 AFM, bosh 040 fuel pump and then get it tuned

then i will have a nice little street unit on my hands

• 7 months later...

Story reopened...

Just thinking along the edge of a dumb set of laws...

One of the guys at TSI was pulled over and subsequently was about to have his car defected. Then the HWP officer realized that the car was out of registration and stated that he couldn't defect the car whilst the rego had expired.

The general problem with this is that if one gets into an 'at fault' accident whilst the car is unregistered, the driver/owner can be liable for a massive $ hit!

Now here is a 'piggyback loophole'!.....

What if one is pulled over and no traffic infringement is in the offing > but then the policeman wants to inspect your car for defects > and whilst you know that your car can more likely than not get pinged for this 'n that > you proceed to rip off your rego sticker > is not your car 'technically' unregistered? > quickly proceed to kindly tell the officer that the car is unregistered whilst not displaying the sticker > and it can then be less expensive to suffer the indignity of a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle (than to cop defects) > then replace the rego sticker a little while later??? ?????????????????

I'm inquisitive.

the fine for unregoed is $516 plus about the same for uninsured, how bad of a deffect would it have to be to be more then that? and no that wouldn't work as the regos are on a darter base that the police can check on there incar computers, most HWP have rego plate readers aswell now so they would proble already know if car was unregoed or not before they even got to your window

don't get all up the police for defecting you they dont make the laws, it's the state government who make these laws (and the pensioners who come up with them)

the police just act like a bunch of cunts when they defect you......

Edited by tweety bird

What if one is pulled over and no traffic infringement is in the offing > but then the policeman wants to inspect your car for defects > and whilst you know that your car can more likely than not get pinged for this 'n that > you proceed to rip off your rego sticker > is not your car 'technically' unregistered? > quickly proceed to kindly tell the officer that the car is unregistered whilst not displaying the sticker > and it can then be less expensive to suffer the indignity of a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle (than to cop defects) > then replace the rego sticker a little while later??? ?????????????????

I'm inquisitive.

You will get a ~$50 fine for no Rego sticker showing and also whatever defects the cop wants to dish out.

The sticker does not determine your rego being registered or not; its all in the computer system, they just run your plates to see if it is registered or not. Sticker is aesthetic.

My view is that even with an engineering certificate, there is still a general power for the police to issue a defect notice for certain things that breach vehicle standards/ ADR's;

Examples would include: Atmo BOV's, excessively loud exhausts, Pod filters, turbo bell-mouths, window tinting, ground clearance etc.

Basically, I think people should err on the side of caution if they are relying on an engineering certificate is a cover-all that will prevent defects. It will definitely help but may not always fix the problem.

Just my $0.02

In regards for a blue slip and mechanics passing mods. I got a letter from DECCA stating that my in susspission of being over the 90DB limit at 4800 RPM,

Now i passes this by 1 DB, but DECCA sent me a approved list of there mechanics and they wer the only ones i could get them to do this test, and i also had to pay about $70 for this

The first time this clown failed me becasue my silencer in my cannon was not "part" of the exhaust, and had to be tig wleded around to pass.

I did that then went back, didnet have to soudns test again but still had to pay $70 again just so he could check the weld and pass me.

With there list of approved mechanics they just rip you sidesways and everyway they can

Story reopened...

Just thinking along the edge of a dumb set of laws...

One of the guys at TSI was pulled over and subsequently was about to have his car defected. Then the HWP officer realized that the car was out of registration and stated that he couldn't defect the car whilst the rego had expired.

The general problem with this is that if one gets into an 'at fault' accident whilst the car is unregistered, the driver/owner can be liable for a massive $ hit!

I'm inquisitive.

Police would check either via radio or through their computer if the vehicle is unregistered. So that wouldn't work. thumbsup.gif