SAU Community

Power Window Motor Replacement/clean

My driver's side window is slower to wind up than the passenger side, but they both go down at the same speed. The "auto" feature on my window does not work on the driver's side, but does work on the passenger side. Also when you close the door and the window moves up a little bit, that does not happen with the drivers side but it does with the passenger side.

Will pulling apart the door trim and cleaning the driver's side motor fix all the issues or would it be smarter to just buy a whole new motor?

It's definitely best to do things properly and in this case, replace the motor as Chris suggested. It's not like Nissan's window motors are built poorly like Ford's. Those things definitely need modification to make them actually reliable, much like what I did to my BA wagon's lock motor/mechanism.

I haven't read all of the posts above, but I thought I'd share my experience: the window motor stopped working too. First it was half working, then completely stopped putting the window down. Went to Nissan who stated I require the whole motor to be completely replaced. They quoted over $1k for the job.

After speaking to an electrician, I was informed that the motor inside just likely needs a bit of cleaning. There are plenty of instructions that can be found online on how to get to the motor. When you disassembly the motor, you may realise that it consists of moving parts that just get worn out and need cleaning for better contact (research a little about how a motor operates if in doubt). After a good clean of the coils etc, it works great so far.

tell that to the customer that just left my shop. he was following this thread and had the drivers motor FAIL in the down position.

forget trying to save them. when they start not going up all the way or falling to half way - replace it.

I wish I had the motor for this car on hand. would have saved him a trip back here.

I know I am living on the edge, but a few weeks ago, mine jammed in the down position and it was a long cold drive from where I was to home. I searched the internet for some clues, and found it was a common problem. I found one post where someone just whacked their door, and it worked, so I gave it a go. It worked. The window went up, and kept working for a few weeks, before it happened again. And another whack, and it was back in action.

This is no permanent fix in my eyes, but if you get caught out, give it a go to get home. And we are not talking too hard, and it was on the outside of the door, I did it from sitting in the drivers seat, with my arm out the door.

I haven't read all of the posts above, but I thought I'd share my experience: the window motor stopped working too. First it was half working, then completely stopped putting the window down. Went to Nissan who stated I require the whole motor to be completely replaced. They quoted over $1k for the job.

Typical of a dealership.

After speaking to an electrician, I was informed that the motor inside just likely needs a bit of cleaning. There are plenty of instructions that can be found online on how to get to the motor. When you disassembly the motor, you may realise that it consists of moving parts that just get worn out and need cleaning for better contact (research a little about how a motor operates if in doubt). After a good clean of the coils etc, it works great so far.

I have yet to come across a motor of any application that only needed a cleaning to last for years upon years. If something gets worn out (not dirty), then cleaning alone is not restoring the motor back to its original condition or even close to it. The best you can hope for are slightly worn brushes but not too far gone. All you've really done is prolonged the cancer patient's life expectancy as opposed to curing it. Not the best analogy but you get my drift.

In the end, it's all well and good if it's your own car because you only have yourself to blame if you find yourself having to fix it again down the track. In Chris' case, he runs a reputable business and it would look pretty bad for him to send away a customer with a cleaned motor only to have it come back again not long after with the same problem. Besides which, why do the same job twice because you took a gamble?

tony,

i think we are trying to re-educate the 'educated'

there is no 'fix' for this . what i have found over the years is a lot of bad information on forums that claim to fix things when they really do nothing.

general rule for a v35, if a door acts up have $1 k per door handy if you cant chnge the bits out yourself.

again there is not a quick fix for this problem..

• 3 weeks later...