SAU Community

Ticking Noise In Engine

CaM!

Hey I was out driving the other night , and after turning off the car, when it was started again I noticed a strong ticking noise . If you have any info that would be good

Edited by CaM!

I can't listen to sound clip at work, but I've had a similar noise from my car for AGES. Came about 18 months ago and was intermittent, disappeared about 6 months ago for a month or 2, and now is back...

idk

Holy shit, that is SO much louder than mine. What did you record this on? I wanna record mine with my iphone and see if you can even hear it on the clip...

That sounds like something in the freaking fan or something :S

I have the exact same noise too... But it isn't constant. It comes and goes randomly but it doesn't get loader when driving. You can only hear it on idle whenever it decides to tick. Nothing has changed drivability at all either.

It's confused the f**k out of me for about 12 months now.

Spun bearing - mine sounded exactly the same just quieter. Mine went quiet at around 3500rpm.

I thought is was a noisy injector or a belt for ages - drove for 6 months with it happening - not a daily though just weekends.

Nothing changed drivability wise. It hadn't actually spun yet just started to pick up on the crank. Photo of the bearing in my build thread.

You are best not running your engine at all otherwise you will end up ruining salvagable parts of the engine.

If you want to confirm before you start pulling engines down get an oil analysis done.

my rb25 powered s13 just started doing that exact same noise...its loud every time i turn it on....and it ussually will go way after 5 secs or so..... drives normal and nothing seems to be wrong. only when i turn on the car it makes that sound...?

it used to do it much quiter before,but it stoped doing it for a while and now the sound came back much louder and uglyer....im just glad it goes away after a few seconds of being on.

not sure what it could be...Lifters/ near spun Bearing..? hope its not a spun bearing....

how much are lifter kits? ill try to record it and post the sound.

my rb25 powered s13 just started doing that exact same noise...its loud every time i turn it on....and it ussually will go way after 5 secs or so..... drives normal and nothing seems to be wrong. only when i turn on the car it makes that sound...?

it used to do it much quiter before,but it stoped doing it for a while and now the sound came back much louder and uglyer....im just glad it goes away after a few seconds of being on.

This is most likely metal on metal contact that goes away once oil pressure gets up to speed after starting. My spun bearing did this at startup for the first 3 odd months before the ticking began from about 2000-3500rpm which would have been load / oil flow related. Higher up in the rev range there must have been enough oil flow to separate the bearing and journal again.

Again I say spun, but what I had was actually just the beginning before it actually spun and seized the engine. Engine was ripped out and rebuilt before it had the chance to go all the way.

Doesn't sound good huh..definitely bottom end. Try retarding the timing while it's running and see if it reduces or goes away, if it does it's a big end.

5w/30 or 5w/40 is asking for trouble.

Just gunna put it out there, check all the belts on the pulleys, I had a similar noise and it was just the power steering belt that had shredded and was knocking on something in the bay everytime it went around.