SAU Community

Auto Manual Licensing

Grey

...if I drive around in the manual non-turbo factory standard non-eye catching skyline, ...

it wont make a difference. i think alot of police just see 4 round tail lights and a p-plate.

a while ago i saw a post on a forum (may have been this one) in which police were known to "browse" through and he said the 3 things they think when they see a skyline is:

1. driver is unlicenced or not legally permitted to be driving the vehicle (if he's a P-plater driving a turbo or manual on auto licence in your case)

2. driver is under the influence of alcohol or illicit substances

3. car is unroadworthy or modified illegally.

im paraphrasing and he might've been exagerating but if i were you id just be good cause in the end, if your not doing anything wrong, youve got nothing to worry about.

Edited by alex182

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove manuals and turbos on my auto P's for about 2 years. Just don't do anything stupid.

The only time I got done was when I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Fine for driving manual was $117 both times and no demerits.

it wont make a difference. i think alot of police just see 4 round tail lights and a p-plate.

a while ago i saw a post on a forum (may have been this one) in which police were known to "browse" through and he said the 3 things they think when they see a skyline is:

1. driver is unlicenced or not legally permitted to be driving the vehicle (if he's a P-plater driving a turbo or manual on auto licence in your case)

2. driver is under the influence of alcohol or illicit substances

3. car is unroadworthy or modified illegally.

im paraphrasing and he might've been exagerating but if i were you id just be good cause in the end, if your not doing anything wrong, youve got nothing to worry about.

that's where you're wrong. Even if you aren't doing anything wrong you will still be pulled over, harrassed and the car gone over with a fine toothed comb until they find something, anything, to pin on you and make your life harder :D no matter what licence type you have

It's as simple as if you get pulled over you will get a fine and most likely told not to drive home. That's what I would do anyway if I pulled you over. Simply because you clearly knew you were doing the wrong thing to start with and therefore need to accept the consequences if you are caught.

Skylines will always be somewhat of a target because in reality almost every skyline can be fined, NOU, EPA for something and most TMU won't pull a car over unless they are going to fine/nou/epa it. They don't do random checks like general duties members.

I do very little traffic now as way too busy. I'm lucky to do 2 random checks on a night shift but my random checks are cars driving erratically and generally we get 3 drink driver's a week.

that's where you're wrong. Even if you aren't doing anything wrong you will still be pulled over, harrassed and the car gone over with a fine toothed comb until they find something, anything, to pin on you and make your life harder :D no matter what licence type you have

i think i miswrote my thoughts. yes you will get pulled over because as i said i think most cops just see 4 round tail lights and a p-plate. but if your not doing anything wrong they cant really hold anything against you. worst case scenario, they slap your car with a canary of which they need no proof, but what are the chances of that happening in an OEM naturally aspirated skyline.

i think i miswrote my thoughts. yes you will get pulled over because as i said i think most cops just see 4 round tail lights and a p-plate. but if your not doing anything wrong they cant really hold anything against you. worst case scenario, they slap your car with a canary of which they need no proof, but what are the chances of that happening in an OEM naturally aspirated skyline.

Naturally aspirated Skyline = looks like a turbo Skyline, still is a Skyline. It doesn't matter what you're doing at the time, how good your record is, what your car looks like, whether you're Aussie/Asian/Wog, if you're a P plater, or the time of day - if someone is on a defect mission they will get you. All the defect virgins say "what are the chances" or "that has never happened to me in the 3 years I've owned my standard car blah blah" - it happens, goes part and parcel with owning these cars. Some police are just assholes, every profession has them.

Naturally aspirated Skyline = looks like a turbo Skyline, still is a Skyline. It doesn't matter what you're doing at the time, how good your record is, what your car looks like, whether you're Aussie/Asian/Wog, if you're a P plater, or the time of day - if someone is on a defect mission they will get you. All the defect virgins say "what are the chances" or "that has never happened to me in the 3 years I've owned my standard car blah blah" - it happens, goes part and parcel with owning these cars. Some police are just assholes, every profession has them.

as i said, you WILL get pulled over. but if your not doing anything wrong (like driving a manual on an auto licence) you probably wont get defected. not all cops slap on canaries with no proof.

lol okay, i'm kind of thinking of booking at dandenong so i can do my test in the next few days. For the record, how many times have you guys been pulled up? How many times on average? My friend who drives a yellow skyline R34, gets pulled over on average once a month.

Notice of unroadworthy... Or the fine associated with a major defect also.

Traffic management unit... The asshole cops who pull us over and make us stand on the side of the road for an hour while they try to find something un roadworthy about the car

environmental protection agency... The place you get sent to for being too loud or under suspicion of illegal modifications/ emissions.

Also...alex... As Graham said above... If they stop u they're pretty damn certain they can get you for something anything. Right down to a clogged wiper jet :P (this has actually happened)

anything to inconvenience us damn hoons....

I've been pulled over twice and almost once more before that in the entire time I've been driving. 5 years. All in the last 2 years since I bought the skyline.

lol okay, i'm kind of thinking of booking at dandenong so i can do my test in the next few days. For the record, how many times have you guys been pulled up? How many times on average? My friend who drives a yellow skyline R34, gets pulled over on average once a month.

Once in 3 years.

once in 2 and a half years but when i did yeah was pretty crap

it sucks to be targetted i mean its not really a hoon car, skyline drivers are intelligent people as opposed to the bogan xr6 / commodore drivers. When I was coming home the other day, this red P plater kept cutting people off in his commodore, and zoomed ahead at 40kmh over the speed limit, when I got to the entrance of the freeway, his car was on the grass (lucky no trees or anyone there) he had lost control of the car what an idiot

it sucks to be targetted i mean its not really a hoon car, skyline drivers are intelligent people as opposed to the bogan xr6 / commodore drivers. When I was coming home the other day, this red P plater kept cutting people off in his commodore, and zoomed ahead at 40kmh over the speed limit, when I got to the entrance of the freeway, his car was on the grass (lucky no trees or anyone there) he had lost control of the car what an idiot

there are nuff nuff's in all sort's of cars bud the skyline is the second most impounded car (after commy's) not saying all the case's would have called for it or that i agree with the hoon laws but there must be some nusaince's driving skylines

I fined 2 people for this today. First one was also doing 25km/h over speed limit and other one had no seat belt on and no rear p plate.

Impounded car doing 101 in 50 zone and 3 other cars doing 35+ over speed limit. (none were imports)

I work in Monash area. This is just a normal traffic shift for me 20+ fines and normally about 5 licenses suspended. So many bad/stupid driver's out there.

At one stage we had the impounded car pulled over, a marked TMU car with it's lights on with another car pulled over behind it and still got another 2 cars doing 20-25 over speed on laser in same stretch of road. 4 cars pulled over at once..multi tasking at it's best.

• 2 months later...

I drive a yellow R34 too, and my average is none in the 2 years of owning it.

It just depends on where and when you drive and most importantly, how you drive it. OR as some will say, I've been lucky.