SAU Community

My New R32 Gtr

Hey,

i got a r32 gtr and im having engine problems,

i have low compression on cylinder 2 and a leaking turbo.

What do i need to do to fix it up and how much?

a nice but cheapest way aswell.

thanks alex

budget of 8-10k including labour

you can buy new garrett 2860-7's for $2200 or rebuild your stock turbos for half that

prices below are taken from ebay, include delivery, all new, can find cheaper here and there but gives you an idea of prices

arp bolts/studs (head, main) $500

acl race bearings (main, rod, thrust) $250

cometic street pro full gasket set, including head multi layer steel gasket $350

n1 water pump $250

nitto oil pump $1350 or nismo oil pump $1200 (n1 oil pump $400 if you are tight on $$)

jun oil pump collar $200

crank collar $100

cp pistons & eagle rod kit $1250

ati harmonic balancer $600

rb26 idler tensioner set $200

rb26 bosch belt set $100

rb26 anodized pulley kit $200 (greddy for $350)

rb26 anodized adjustable cam gear pulleys $150 (greddy for $350)

thats a minimum of 5k in parts, add in machining, labour costs, and perhaps some head work if budget allows

piston #5 in my rb26 was low in comp (ate ceramic turbo wheel, previous owner) on mine. going through all this right at the moment.

Should of got it compression tested before u bought it :/ definitely engine out, ur choice to rebuild it or put in a Good second hand rb26 that's been tested, depends how much u want to spend and how much power u want...

Based on the list of parts etc that's been quoted above to rebuild motor, or even to put in a tested used rb26, it looks like *cheap* is probably out of the question.

It is clear the engine needs to come out.

Your big choice at this point is, do you 1) bite the bullet now and start down the DIY path, or do you 2) attempt to just pay money to a mechanic to make the problem go away?

Option 2) will seem easier in the short run, but you are dealing with a 20 yo jap performance car, and problems like this can and do come up all the time. IMO you will be better off in the long run, financially and in terms of enjoying your car, if you at least do the engine pull yourself.

You can pay a mechanic to do it, and they will fix the problem you have told them about and only that problem.

Do it yourself, you will definitely save money, learn a lot and also use the opportunity to fix other cheap maintenance items (ie water hoses, gaskets, etc etc) that will give you a better result for less $$.

I got all my parts myself over a 15 month period, would have loved to pull the engine and do all I could myself, however in my case on a disability pension just isnt possible, unfortunately. Body doesnt allow me to do the work involved in pulling out the engine. Changing the turbo on my rb25 was a big enough job for a mobility-impaired bloke like myself, and I suffered for a good quarter of a year afterwards with chronic pain (more than the usual chronic pain, anyways).

If you are able to pull the engine yourself you'll save between 2 to 3grand on engine removal/replacement fee from your mechanic. Plus you'll learn heaps too.

Otherwise start buying your parts list, give it all to your mechanic (after getting quotes) and go from there.

OR, purchase a used rb26 engine for around $3k. With removal/replacement charges, tune setup etc its still a 6-7k job.

I never really considered replacing the engine as its for track work in my instance, preferred a built engine that is fresh over the unknown used engine option. While my budget as a pensioner is very tight, still made it happen. Where there's a will there IS a way.

good luck.

well the real cheap way is pull the engine yourself and whack in a set of standard pistons and rings and a set of bearings and a new headgasket. other option is buy another engine in good nick and just swap them over (i'm selling one. :) ). as far as turbos go, cheapest option is buy a set of standard ones again, go 33 or 34 if you can find a set. they are not really any better than 32 model turbos, just newer.

the expensive way is build the engine properly and buy some steel wheel turbos. but yeah that will be $10K+ probably more like $15K drive in, drive out.