SAU Community

Question: What Diff To Get?

Hi Guys,

I'm about to get a full engine rebuild and was thinking whilst it's out I should also do something with my diff.

I'm a little green on this and found this topic though it's for a rear wheel drive only car. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/130896-question-of-wat-diff-to-get/

I've got a Stagea 260RS which from a running gear perspective you would all know has the R33 GTR drivetrain.

I've noticed a slight whining noise under moderate acceleration coming from the diff and was wondering what options I have to rebuild or replace. Whether a NISMO kit is the best option or an aftermarket option. I've already tried putting redline oils in everything but that made little difference.

The car is for street use though I wouldn't mind doing some track work once I get the rebuild done. If this helps after the rebuild and other upgrades are complete I should have around 350rwkw.

Thanks,

Adam

I've done some searching last night and might have found a couple possibilities. I don't want a 2 way and from I've picked up a the only 1.5 one that is still streetable is the

NISMO GT LSD Pro.

The above being mechanical seems like the cheaper option as with the dollar doing so well I've priced one of these from Japan including oil for $1400 delivered.

I did find another option below which is slightly more expensive, best price is 2K.. these seem a little harder to find on the open market. I'd be interested to hear of anyone using a helelical diff. What would you do if this was your street car?

Quaife ATB Helical LSD Differential

get the nismo.. its the best of the mechanicals. theres very littl difference between a 1.5 or 2 way diff. both are streetable and both can get you out of shape if you drive like a dick. to ensure quiet operation be sure to run the diff in correctly.

the quaife's are really the best for GTR's that are tracked. i wouldnt waste the coin for a street car.

get the nismo.. its the best of the mechanicals. theres very littl difference between a 1.5 or 2 way diff. both are streetable and both can get you out of shape if you drive like a dick. to ensure quiet operation be sure to run the diff in correctly.

the quaife's are really the best for GTR's that are tracked. i wouldnt waste the coin for a street car.

Well I'm getting the motor rebuilt so for the first 500 or so K's I'm told to be gentle with everything keeping the car under low revs, once this is done a slightly harder driving is required before getting re tuned to unlock full power then go do some power runs, preferably hill climbs to really push the limits to get everything worn in correctly.

Is this the kind of driving that would run the diff in correctly and ensure a quiet operation?

Can the stock diffs be rebuilt locally if I was to maintain the standard setup? Just not sure on the pro's and cons of rebuild VS upgrade. I want to get everything done the best I can though the budget is fast running out so if I can get away with something that will last and save me a few dollars I'm likely to take that route.

I wouldn't say I drive like a dick too often though I don't mind every now and again getting the car a little out of shape around corners.... maybe this is whats caused the issues to begin with and I need to stop doing this to keep everything in shape and good order. I think this tendency is a throwback to some of my earlier rear wheel drive wannabe rally experiences. Where I grew up I used to belt around on dirt roads a bit (used to live up a 10km track), some good adrenalin rushes to be had on the dirt when things would get a little sideways.

Okay so I'm leaning heavily towards the NISMO diff upgrade. It would be good to hear from someone that has this done on there car, just curious to know first hand what they're like to use in a daily. I've read on some other forums they can be a little noisy when cold. How long do they take to warm up in typical weather ie) over 20 degrees. Do they need any kind of regular attention or servicing? Just curious to know how these are in typical applications and how many k's they are good for. I just want to know if this is the best option for durability and control. A little noise everynow and again I can handle, its more about doing things once if you know what I mean.

I guess lastly, getting my diffs rebuilt is still in the frame though if the costs come close to the above idea I probably wont bother with a repair as I've read of people having issues when this isn't done right, my only concern with this is with 350+kw at the wheels and further power gains to be had once I get some more money for fuel system upgrade for E85 that this could be asking too much from the R33 stock drivetrain. If anyone knows a little about this I'd be interested to hear from you.

I keep hearing this guys name Steve from DIFF & GEARBOX INDUSTRIES in Brisbane. Thinking of hitting him up tomorrow for a quote, has anyone had any experience with these guys?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe my R33 had a nismo 1 way, i cant remember to be honest.. Came with the car. Like anything, regular servicing is always a good idea.

Cold it wasnt bad. Mine had diff clunk when doing low-speed, low-load turns.. But it was only slight and before you knew it, you wouldnt even know its there.

Sorry for the necro, just thought this was relevant.. Plus interested in what the OP decided to go with, and how it performed :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe my R33 had a nismo 1 way, i cant remember to be honest.. Came with the car. Like anything, regular servicing is always a good idea.

Cold it wasnt bad. Mine had diff clunk when doing low-speed, low-load turns.. But it was only slight and before you knew it, you wouldnt even know its there.

Sorry for the necro, just thought this was relevant.. Plus interested in what the OP decided to go with, and how it performed :)

nismo dont do 1 ways for RWD diffs. its probably a 1.5 way

Judging by the clunking it would have been a 1.5 way, like my KAAZ. 1 way shouldn't present any clunking during low speeds turns.

I now vote "helical" to anybody's question of "what diff should I get?"

Unless they're a drifter.

More info please, I'm verging on getting a 1.5 NISMO.

I now vote "helical" to anybody's question of "what diff should I get?"

Unless they're a drifter.

More info please, I'm verging on getting a 1.5 NISMO but so far no luck in finding one for a r33 GTR diff.

The Kaaz are helical cut are they not?

To many choices.....