SAU Community

+1 to RB25DET rebuild count

Gradenko

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!! :microwave:

Did it actually blow though? or u just knew it would?

I think its basic knowledge that anything over 250rwhp on stock internals is a game of luck and is just a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...

And here are the rods. The rods each weigh in at 688g +/- 1g. It'll be interesting to see how the weight of the stock rb30 rods, stock rb25 rods and these forged rods compare.

You can just make out the ARP bolts in one of the pics. Those are near $200 for 12 if bought individually, so a useful saving when the rods come packed with them ;).

Did I say RB30DET build? I meant VH45DETT...

Damn, still a few hours too early for April fools jokes, innit ;)

Its cause they're rods for a 350 Chev. They are 6" and also happen to fit RB30s with a small modification. I bought them new in the box from a fellow who was building a Chev engine and presumably changed his rebuild plans. Even though I'll only be using 6, they were at a price too good to pass up.

matlowth, I am told they will fit rb30 motors using 40thou bearing machined down to suit the rb30 crank.

From what my engine builder tells me, only certain Chev rods are suited for this appiication. The big end is too wide (>86mm) to fit in the RB30's bore, so small amount of meat has to be machined away from around the rod bolts. On some rods this wouldn't leave enough metal for the bolts to hook into, on others its fine.

These rods are made from 4340 steel, magnafluxed, sonic tested, x-rayed, heat treated, stress relieved, have bronze bushings and were $500 for the set. Compared to $800 to shot peen and ARP rob bolt my factory rods, I thought these new rods were a slightly better deal.