SAU Community

Calling Dietary Gurus

Mr Eps

Bananas and yoghurt are an awesome combo but never tried honey. Bananas are definitely the best when it comes to potassium and dealing with cramps. I use Jalna yoghurt as it doesn't contain cane sugar, low in fat and tastes amazing.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no guru but working off both evidence + your anecdotes...

* banana plus

* yoghurt plus

* manuka honey

...before a workout in a ratio that suits you!

Want to try?

Rationale:-

* bananas used by Benny Elias, Martina Navratilova etc weren't just taking it for carbs; but also for potassium to help muscle contractions

* yoghurt of good probiotic variety helps with quick digestion

* manuka honey isn't just glucose/fructose/mannose/sucrose/galactose but kills GI bacteria that can create a gnawing feeling in the gut

Feedback please? Guinea cops?

Giving the banana (pre-training) and yoghurt (immediately after dinner) a shot. Won't go manuka honey (how is that different from any other honey?) due to already having heaps of honey.

Bananas and yoghurt are an awesome combo but never tried honey. Bananas are definitely the best when it comes to potassium and dealing with cramps. I use Jalna yoghurt as it doesn't contain cane sugar, low in fat and tastes amazing.

Not sure what your idea of "tastes amazing" is lol....I picked up the vanilla one (not low fat) and it tastes pretty odd haha. Not bad, but certainly not sweetened to shit like other yoghurts.

Umm

...read years ago that Manuka Honey was journalised through the Uni Aukland to...

* kill Helicobacter Pylori bacteria (bad)

* helps with healthy mucosal lining of the gut and villi of small intestine where digestion occurs

BACON!

When I was 22 and playing Pennants Squash for Sydney U. in Sydney's eastern suburbs, we as hosts that night had to put on the eats and drinks.

My Mum cooked some fried rice.

None of the visitors ate it...

...until just before they left, one quaffed down two plates full.

The smell of fried rice became too irresistable.

Next day, I asked Dad why the squash visitors turned up the fried rice all night?

He asked who the visitors were or where they came from.

I said "Macabe"

He said, "Well that explains it."

Anyway one Jew couldn't resist the temptation of BACON!

LOL

• 1 month later...

Each to their own, but it really depends on the exercises you're doing and the food you're eating IMO. I can't do bench press on a full stomach, or anything that involves abs. There is other stuff I could do without noticing it, though. Keeping in mind your body is designed to digest while standing upright, this is one of the reasons it is said bad to eat just before going to bed (not sure how much truth/research there is to that). I know I ate pasta about an hour before a workout and felt sick half way through...that's a heavy meal because I eat a lot of pasta, will take forever to digest. Other foods like bread I can eat an hour before and not even feel like I've eaten.

I'm with you birds, I don't know how people eat a large meal for dinner then go to bed...

I can't f*king sleep, stomach will constantly rumble and gurgle... need to wait a good 2-3 hours..

• 1 month later...

My kinda meal :thumbsup:

I eat this shit day in, day out. The trick is to do enough exercise to counter it lol.

lol and be ectomorph. I used to eat this shit ALL THE TIME and more when I played soccer....f**k I miss that metabolism lol

• 1 month later...

i actually lose weight while eating nothing but bacon and meat. no carbs, why?

Why is there no carbs in my photo? lol coz the wholemeal penne was still in its packet. Red+green capsicum still count as carbs in a way though, yeah? There's also mushrooms off to the side and plenty of onion.

• 10 months later...

boys and girls i need your help. :)

i've been having trouble with making a healthy breakfast and a healthy lunch due to time constraints i can either make a healthy lunch or a healthy breakfast.

is there a healthy breakfast out there that's quick and good for people trying to keep to the markos guide of ''how not to be the mayor of chubbsville''?

Omlettes are good. Just mix in a non-starchy vegetable, I do eggs, spinach and bacon, or eggs spinach and chicken.

Very healthy for you, try to ensure you get 30g of protein into the serving, as that makes a difference for fat loss.

Alternatively there are a variety of recipes involving greek youghurt on here:

http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/19898

http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/22388

Good luck.

I don't know about healthy, but if you're trying to be lean, then weetbix in a big bowl of milk always worked for me. Takes 1 minute to prepare...

50/50 Digestive 1st Cereal with Just Right (yeah a bit rubbishy - the 2nd one) with Soy Milk.

On occasions say 2x/wk my wife cooks up 2-3 eggs in soy sauce/vinegar + Manuka honey on toast + vegemite on toast.