SAU Community

Calling Dietary Gurus

Mr Eps

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone find me a Chewing Gum that doesn't have the carcinogenics #951 & #950 in it?

I couldn't find my usual blue PK yesterday.

Despite being in my 60s I fortunately still have all my teeth (incl impacted wisdoms - lol) but with slightly receding gums, chewing gum is good for my gums if you know what I mean!

You young dudes probably won't understand - except to look around for me.

Thanks

I wondered the same thing a few days ago Terry, because I basically realized anything with "sugar free" is going to have 950 or 951 in it.

So being a Nightfiller at woolworths I went and had a look.

Pretty much all the "Extra" and those type of sugar free or good for your teeth products all have 950 and 951 and infact I would think that most of them do.

I do enjoy chewing gum to alleviate boredom while I'm at work (No customers, work all night) But I pretty much gave it up.

I'm refusing to eat anything with 950 and 951 in it now.

Because it is a compound exercise. During each fly repetition you are working: pectorals, shoulders, and depending on how strict your motion is, biceps. There's a difference between "targeting" a muscle group with a compound exercise and doing an isolation exercise. Isolation must have only one group of muscles being worked at the one time. Any more and you're no longer isolating. Calf raises for calves, quad extensions for quads, bicep curls for biceps etc.

Just for your info compound and isolation has nothing to do with how many muscles are working, it's actually in reference to how many joints are working.

So although yes, a fly does work more than one muscle, if done properly it is an isolation exercises, as the shoulder joint should be the only joint working.

:)

It can actually mean either, depending where you want to apply it. But given we're at the gymnasium primarily for muscle development, I'll stick with the traditional definition relating to muscles. In its strictest sense, if you're breaking down more than one muscle group, you're not isolating something, no matter how many joints you're moving or what your definition of a compound exercise happens to be. Just FYI:

i·so·late (s-lt)

tr.v. i·so·lat·ed, i·so·lat·ing, i·so·lates

1. To set apart or cut off from others.

2. To place in quarantine.

3. Chemistry To separate (a substance) in pure form from a combined mixture.

4. To render free of external influence; insulate.

5. Microbiology To separate (a pure strain) from a mixed bacterial or fungal culture.

6. Psychology To separate (experiences or memories) from the emotions relating to them.

7. Electricity

a. To set apart (a component, circuit, or system) from a source of electricity.

b. To insulate or shield.

adj. (-lt, -lt)

Solitary; alone.

n. (-lt, -lt)

1. A person, thing, or group that has been isolated, as by geographic, ecologic, or social barriers.

2. Biology A population of bacteria or other cells that has been isolated.

3. Linguistics A language isolate.

com·pound 1 (km-pound, km-, kmpound)

v. com·pound·ed, com·pound·ing, com·pounds

v.tr.

1. To combine so as to form a whole; mix.

2. To produce or create by combining two or more ingredients or parts: pharmacists compounding prescriptions.

3. To settle (a debt, for example) by agreeing on an amount less than the claim; adjust.

4. To compute (interest) on the principal and accrued interest.

5. To add to; increase: High winds compounded the difficulties of the firefighters.

v.intr.

1. To combine in or form a compound.

2. To come to terms; agree.

adj. (kmpound, km-pound, km-)

1. Consisting of two or more substances, ingredients, elements, or parts.

2. Botany Composed of more than one part.

n. (kmpound)

1. A combination of two or more elements or parts. See Synonyms at mixture.

2. Linguistics A word that consists either of two or more elements that are independent words, such as loudspeaker, baby-sit, or high school, or of specially modified combining forms of words, such as Greek philosophia, from philo-, "loving," and sophia, "wisdom."

3. Chemistry A pure, macroscopically homogeneous substance consisting of atoms or ions of two or more different elements in definite proportions that cannot be separated by physical means. A compound usually has properties unlike those of its constituent elements.

4. Botany

a. A leaf whose blade is divided into two or more distinct leaflets.

b. A pistil composed of two or more united carpels.

:)

dude, i dont care what a dictionary says.

Whatever your doing it for makes no difference, the true definition of a compound exercise is a multi-joint movement, and vice versa for an isolation exercise.

It doesnt matter what you think, that's how it has been for the last hundred years mate

Oh...well when you put it like that...

Read the original discussion, i.e. reason why we were talking about compound movements in the first place. You'll see we were trying to help out someone who was tiring out their triceps with isolation exercises before doing compound exercises. So when we're discussing muscle fatigue and how to avoid stuffing yourself for the rest of your workout, in terms of isolation and compound...your pre-Copernicus jointy philosophy on compound movements can go to hell for a few minutes :)

Nuff said here, back to the gym thread.

Oh...well when you put it like that...

Read the original discussion, i.e. reason why we were talking about compound movements in the first place. You'll see we were trying to help out someone who was tiring out their triceps with isolation exercises before doing compound exercises. So when we're discussing muscle fatigue and how to avoid stuffing yourself for the rest of your workout, in terms of isolation and compound...your pre-Copernicus jointy philosophy on compound movements can go to hell for a few minutes :)

Nuff said here, back to the gym thread.

Im not too fussed on what you were discussing, all I said was that compound is multi-joint and isolation is single joint. It's how it's always been and still is.

Dont try and be a know it all if you dont know it all, too many of them in the fitness/weightlifting/nutrition industry anyway

Edited by Husky33

oh and one more thing - for me......i have a lower acting thyroid.. so - for many people who want to lose weight - for them it's as easy as saying "okay no more maccas for a month" or "i'm giving up drinking for a month"for me, it isn't that simple unfortunately.. i need to take fishoil tabs, and kelp tablets (contains a strand of iodine to stimulate activity in my thyroid to make my metabolism work) and eat healthy AND exercise like a mother bitch.isolated weights training is EXCELLENT for losing fat and i don't care what any of you say. unless you're doing weights training - your cardio is absolutely useless!one last thing - i think people trust personal trainers too much - one of the trainers at my girlfriends' gym... and you konw what they told her? "you should have no more than 3 eggs a week - and you must not eat more than one egg a day"^^^^ >_< eggs are up there with the best weightloss foods available!!!

Lol... Technically the best way to loose weight is a combination between cardio and weights, weights builds lean muscle which in turn increases the metabolism and keeps it firing for longer after a workout whereas cardio increases the heart rate quicker and gets the metabolism firing sooner...

Alvin - have a glass of water is silleh - i drink between 3-4 litres of water a day.. as Martin said .. you need to drink hella water to flush all your body out and stuff and junk..Martin - you DO understand that your body does consume a lot of energy while you sleep, right?people often say "OMG no food after 3pm bro"but "sleep" doesn't actually mean you're dead. your body is still very active and churns up a lot more energy sleeping than you do - say, watching TV or something of that nature

Just not as active as when you are awake and moving as most people their hr drops to allow your body to restore itself for the next day :) Unless you sleep walk, or run, or have supper happy fun times in your sleep.

I eat 1200cal per day and I function perfectly fine, I actually need to push myself to make sure I eat that much. To maintain weight 1500-1800cal per day with regular exercise is the recommended amount... Note CALORIES not KILOJOULES. And granted I don't have a huge appetite to start with and have always been athletic which makes all my training easier.

And I exercise quite a bit I do 2-3 sessions daily for min 1hr each, Thursdays I actually do 4.5hrs of exercise consisting of two gym sessions, kick boxing and pole dancing. I drink about 2L of water and when I have back to back boxing/pole dancing sessions I have one powerade mixture (dry powder you add to water). I dance twice per week, box 3 times per week and gym 12 sessions per week plus my Sunday mountain walk/jog which is usually 3.5-4hrs depending where I do it. I also work full time, study and do volunteer first aid so it's not like I do it because I have nothing else to do. I do a mix of cardio, core, upper, lower and flexibility work.

I am quite strict with what I eat but that is also because there are a stupid amount of things I cannot eat due to allergies and intolerances. And yes, I am loosing weight at the moment but once I am down to my goal weight I will ease off to maintain it.

Dukan diet does work, it is easier than calorie counting which some people struggle with.

Edited by Melly

She a female (sounds silly saying that), so yeah, her calorie intake should be lower anyway.

And husky, wtf...you come into the thread spouting "FYI gaiz" on a discussion that had already ended, then accuse me of trying to be a know it all? GF mate...

She a female (sounds silly saying that), so yeah, her calorie intake should be lower anyway.

And husky, wtf...you come into the thread spouting "FYI gaiz" on a discussion that had already ended, then accuse me of trying to be a know it all? GF mate...

Don't get your knickers in a twist mate. Again, i dont care whether the discussion had ended or not, i was just stating the truth of the matter.

Jesus H Christ shut up you bunch of hams.

This is a thread about EATING.

Not exercising!!!

Husky33 please don't call people "mate" in my thread when you don't mean it. I really hate it when people call people mate when the words meaning is patronizing.

Mate.. Cmon mate. I know karate. Orrite mate? I know it

Jesus H Christ shut up you bunch of hams.

This is a thread about EATING.

Not exercising!!!

Husky33 please don't call people "mate" in my thread when you don't mean it. I really hate it when people call people mate when the words meaning is patronizing.

Mate.. Cmon mate. I know karate. Orrite mate? I know it

yeah good one mate, I'll change how I speak just because you don't like it...rightio

Edited by Husky33

• 1 month later...

In response to what I said earlier yes I am female, 23, 173cm and usually 60kg but "comfy" at the moment at 70kg which is why I am currently strict with what I eat. All my clothes currently don't like me :) lol I blame my boyfriend for making me comfy and a back injury.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone find me a Chewing Gum that doesn't have the carcinogenics #951 & #950 in it?

I couldn't find my usual blue PK yesterday.

Despite being in my 60s I fortunately still have all my teeth (incl impacted wisdoms - lol) but with slightly receding gums, chewing gum is good for my gums if you know what I mean!

You young dudes probably won't understand - except to look around for me.

Thanks

Hey Terry, what do you know about Fibromyalgia ??

In response to what I said earlier yes I am female, 23, 173cm and usually 60kg but "comfy" at the moment at 70kg which is why I am currently strict with what I eat. All my clothes currently don't like me :) lol I blame my boyfriend for making me comfy and a back injury.

65 should be right for a girl your height.