SAU Community

Calling Dietary Gurus

Mr Eps

Question for the gurus:

Do we think there is such a thing as eating too much cheese? Not talking cottage here, just cheddar slices e.g. cheese on toast.

I searched this on the internet recently and found the debate to be fairly divided...half say it's healthy with plenty of calcium, go nuts...others say it's a fatty food that should be eaten in moderation like everything else. Thoughts? How many slices of cheese a day is plenty / too much / acceptable?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say moderation...At the end of the day it's fatty..

If you're one of those people that can eat fatty foods and not put on fat then knock yourself out

+1. Although just because its high in fat doesn't mean it's going to make you fat, excess calories make you fat! I think a slice of cheese is about 100 calories if that

What about opinions on mixed nuts? I usually have 30g of raw ones every day, easy calories and quite beneficial in the healthy fats..

I said fat alot.

Edited by Dani Boi

<cut>

Do we think there is such a thing as eating too much cheese? Not talking cottage here, just cheddar slices e.g. cheese on toast.

<cut>

Yes definitely :)

The calcium helps prevent fat absorption from the cheese, but I think cheese in general is fairly calorie dense.

Same with nuts, they're a great source of fat but fat is calorie dense.

Almonds are good...in small amounts :)

I'd say moderation...At the end of the day it's fatty..

If you're one of those people that can eat fatty foods and not put on fat then knock yourself out

I am one of those people who can eat fatty foods without putting on fat (unless I try hard), but I'm more concerned about my insides / arteries / blood. I do a fair bit of cardio which keeps the weight off me, will this also counter the effects on the inside? As per ye olde expression, you are what you eat, I'm just concerned whether cheese is something I should be making a habit of. I absolutely love the stuff...

Yes definitely :)

The calcium helps prevent fat absorption from the cheese, but I think cheese in general is fairly calorie dense.

Same with nuts, they're a great source of fat but fat is calorie dense.

Almonds are good...in small amounts :)

On average I probably have about 6 slices of cheese a day on toast/bread...sometimes 4, sometimes 8...would we consider this excessive or acceptable?

I am one of those people who can eat fatty foods without putting on fat (unless I try hard), but I'm more concerned about my insides / arteries / blood. I do a fair bit of cardio which keeps the weight off me, will this also counter the effects on the inside? As per ye olde expression, you are what you eat, I'm just concerned whether cheese is something I should be making a habit of. I absolutely love the stuff...

On average I probably have about 6 slices of cheese a day on toast/bread...sometimes 4, sometimes 8...would we consider this excessive or acceptable?

http://youtu.be/47rV_IXgfBE

I'd say no, if you sit down and work out the amount of fats your eating from the cheese. And then break it down by the fat type.

I'd mainly be worried about the saturated fat, however those volumes aren't large, and the calcium blocks some of the absorption anyway.

I wouldn't be worried about it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I havent read any apart from the OP, BUT

Your diet looks clean, but that dose not mean you are in a calorie deficit to loose wieight, simple its calories in vs calories out,

do a BF% estimation to get you BMR, then from that work out your MACRO nutruitenT needs carbs 1g= 4 cal protein 1g= 4 cal fat 1g= 9 cal

so from that you can work out how much you need each day that fits into your macros, stay in a 500 calorie deficit each day.

Anything dosent make sense or you need help just pm me mate.

• 2 months later...

This is the dumbest question coz the answer should be obvious, but I'd like to know if there's anything that could be added to this post-workout meal of mine....

1x 95g can of tuna in olive oil

1x LARGE serving of those steamed vegetable packets (corn, carrot, broccoli)

3x soft boiled eggs

Mush all the above stuff together with some salt and pepper, consume.

Any modifications I could be making to this meal? To me it seems to have everything you could want for a post-workout meal, only thing I could think of it that depending on your size it could be made a bit bigger. Otherwise with a side of protein shake, it's goooooood. :D

This is the dumbest question coz the answer should be obvious, but I'd like to know if there's anything that could be added to this post-workout meal of mine....

1x 95g can of tuna in olive oil

1x LARGE serving of those steamed vegetable packets (corn, carrot, broccoli)

3x soft boiled eggs

Mush all the above stuff together with some salt and pepper, consume.

Any modifications I could be making to this meal? To me it seems to have everything you could want for a post-workout meal, only thing I could think of it that depending on your size it could be made a bit bigger. Otherwise with a side of protein shake, it's goooooood. :D

Brown Rice.

Protein Shake with simple carbs straight after workout then have the meal 30mins afterwards(broscience)

Edited by Dani Boi

Vegetables/brown rice are complex carbs :)

Make sure your *pre-workout* meal is as well organised, its debatable, but some consider it more important than your post-workout meal.

After a heavy workout you will burn energy, so if your going to eat simple carbs, now is the best time :)

Some will use dextrose post-workout as well.

Dani Boi, the post workout insulin spike is debatable like everything in this field. I wouldn't go as far as calling it "bro science", you can probably find evidence for and against.

I've read a study that said chocolate milk was the best post-workout meal, because it contains milk, therefore protein & sugar :)

Anyway, I don't use the post-workout insulin spike. The research seems to show a small amount of sugar is needed if anything...

Dani Boi, the post workout insulin spike is debatable like everything in this field. I wouldn't go as far as calling it "bro science", you can probably find evidence for and against.

I've read a study that said chocolate milk was the best post-workout meal, because it contains milk, therefore protein & sugar :)

Anyway, I don't use the post-workout insulin spike. The research seems to show a small amount of sugar is needed if anything...

Yep it is definately debateable :P I bought some dextrose last week to try it out, very sweet stuff, made me feel bloated and I crashed pretty hard so I couldn't eat my PWO meal so I'm mostly likely going to drop it. IMO if you eat a balanced meal pre & post workout that is all you need, although I do believe PWO meal should be carb loaded.

My 2c after week or so of trials etc is that FOR ME a pre-workout meal is the dumbest shit EVER.

I feel sick after the first couple of sets, get fatigued very early on, and overall extremely grumpy. I end up leaving halfway through the session, having put in a very shit effort. From now on I'm not consuming ANYTHING at least 4 hours leading up to training, except for a maybe protein shake at some point a couple of hours prior.

My 2c after week or so of trials etc is that FOR ME a pre-workout meal is the dumbest shit EVER.

I feel sick after the first couple of sets, get fatigued very early on, and overall extremely grumpy. I end up leaving halfway through the session, having put in a very shit effort. From now on I'm not consuming ANYTHING at least 4 hours leading up to training, except for a maybe protein shake at some point a couple of hours prior.

haha fair enough mate. I have had to pull out of training sometimes as well because I feel like I'm going to throw up which I put down to eating to close to my workout. But do whatever works best for you, judging by your progress pics you are doing something right - far better than my progress anyway.