SAU Community

16" Rims For R33 Gtst With Minimal Offset

I'm using the rotors and callipers front and rear of an R33 GTSt on my AE86, now I want to find out what rims are available in 16" (remember its a corolla to that is the largest I can fit) that will clear the brakes from the R33 and have minimal offset as the general +40 area of offset hits struts in a massive way. As far as the width of the rim 6" or 7" is prob all I need as offsets aint in my favour so a slimmer rim will be nicer as its getting engineered.

My pcd is 5x114.3 so if you have had low offset 16's on your 33 GTSt let me know what they are

The standard GTSt rims are 16x6.5 and the r32 GTR rims are 16x8's ill have to pop down to the local import wreckers and check em out tomoz morning.

im thinking +40 may be waay too much still, at the moment im running 15x6 -4's, any after market off the shelf rims have like +10 up to +20 may be right?

32 GTR better than GTST. offset is +30 but being 8 inch wide you loose a bit of that backspace in width. would look pretty cool. you should be quite easily able to get some aftermarket 16X8 or 16X7s in a +20 or +10 though.

I think I may have a solution...R33 GTSt space savers, have them chopped up and re welded with 8" wide dish and choice offset! may not look the best but it works well and it cost effective, plus if I smash a rim I don't care as much as a $2700 set of works...I can always find some nice daily rims for it later when I can use spacers!

yikes! not sure a set of space savers with new barrels welded on is a good idea. they will be heavy as fk as they are steel not alloy like 90% of other wheels. on top of that they are designed with a 2inch tyre in mind. sure with a new barrel they might work but I really don't think it'll be a good thing. For the cost of buying 4 barrels, 4 space savers (actually not that cheap) and getting them welded and balanced you can surely find a nice set of used 5 stud 16s with the offset and width you want. plus you have to hope the bloke welding them did a good job and balancing the things will probably be nearly impossible.

the barrels will probably cost you $150-$200 each anyway. buy the time you buy all the bits and have them made and painted it will probably be around $1200-$1500 for the set of abortion wheels. for around that money you could get a set of simmons or ROH or something made in custom size/offset. I would look into that. or just buy some used wheels from ebay or yahoo or forums etc.

• 3 weeks later...