SAU Community

Slick Tyres - And Its Effects On Oil Surge

Looking at getting some Porsche Carrera cup front slicks on the GTR, but was wondering what kind of effect would it have on a non uprated sump. As I know it, mine is standard so the last thing I want to do is destroy the engine from an oil surge. A couple of track here in the UK I would avoid as they have have fast corners that go on for more than 4 seconds..

I have been hearing a few things of dry sump setup for an RB, but have not seen much about the kit itself or the costs.

Dry sump is ideal but megabucks (google for examples) . You can get a bigger sump with gates and baffles and for the Link/Vipec and possibly other ecus you can get an oil pressure cut out switch to cut the engine when oil pressure is inadequate for the rev range.

nb I hope you are going to get 4 slicks and not just 2

Do you have the suspension adjustment to make use of the slicks?

They aren't like normal semi comps or street tyres. If you have a stock sump im guessing you might not have such adjustments.

There is a thread in the Motorsport section about slicks, have a read of it.

Yeah I will get 4 slicks, but Porsche Michelin fronts all round.

I have Apexi N1 dampers, so adjustments should be fine.. I have also looked up a price of a Dry sump, but its way over priced..why is it so expensive? I have seen one priced at $10,000!

Ah i was talking thing like camber etc, you need MUCH more than you would run on the street.

Have a read of the MSport section, you really won't get much benefit of slicks by the sounds of your setup and would be far better off with semi's.