SAU Community

Gtr 89 32 Build .....

hey guys rebuilding my bottem end after oil pump failure i already have a custom oil drain from back of head back down to sump

my question is do i really need higher volume sump if im making about 500 bhp i currently have stock sump .... and also should i change harmonic balencer and put after market one if so

what brand /model no. ??

If going with a higher flowing pump then yes you need a bigger capacity sump, head restrictors etc (replacing with a R33 crank for the long oil drive would be recommended). read the oil control thread in it's entirety.. as for head oil drains, as far as their function.. the general consensus is they don't really work.

I wouldn't risk using that balancer again if there were a oil pump failure.

If going with a higher flowing pump then yes you need a bigger capacity sump, head restrictors etc (replacing with a R33 crank for the long oil drive would be recommended). read the oil control thread in it's entirety.. as for head oil drains, as far as their function.. the general consensus is they don't really work.

I wouldn't risk using that balancer again if there were a oil pump failure.

Ok I already have restrictor s etc but not the sump do u recommend me changing sump ? Where is good place to get on if so

What is a good brand/model of harmonic balencer ? To replace standard one with ? And where could I source a 33 crank from ? Would itbe cheaper to go collar and change harmonic bal ?

Try Justjap for the R33 crank, from memory they arent that expensive.

As for the sump, from my reading I would retain the factory item. There doesnt seem to be much move towards aftermarket sumps in a basic sort of setup.

GL

So if i go jun pump should I just leave sump if Im goin to be pushing 500 horse ?? I just need to know right answer before I Put it back together.....

its only a daily well will get driven once every 2 weeks and i wont be sitting on limiter or anything what shall i be looking at for a bigger sump price wise ???

it's as simple as this really. factory pump factory sump. aftermarket pump? aftermarket sump. a high flowing pump will empty your stock sump in a matter of seconds. literally. and with much less oil flowing back down it doesn't take long for the sump to run dry.

so if you want to run a jun pump, you need to get an enlarged and baffled sump. I've had no problems with trust sumps on 2 of my GTRs and the hi-octane sumps seem to work very well too. I'd buy one of those.

as far as balancer goes I'd either spend a little and buy an N1 balancer, or go for top of the line which is ATI.

everyone says diff things i think i am going to put the trap doors in stock sump and i already have tomie sump baffles i had a talk to red r racing and they make them and he really knows his rb 's

it's as simple as this really. factory pump factory sump. aftermarket pump? aftermarket sump. a high flowing pump will empty your stock sump in a matter of seconds. literally. and with much less oil flowing back down it doesn't take long for the sump to run dry.

so if you want to run a jun pump, you need to get an enlarged and baffled sump. I've had no problems with trust sumps on 2 of my GTRs and the hi-octane sumps seem to work very well too. I'd buy one of those.

as far as balancer goes I'd either spend a little and buy an N1 balancer, or go for top of the line which is ATI.

I think he's right!