SAU Community

Bmw's Front-Wheel Drive Car Spied

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like is basically said in the articles, its for people who buy BMW's on name only, the sort of dickheads (80% apparently) who didn't even know it was rear wheel drive.

It will be gay on wheels just like every other front wheel drive in existence.

Nothing wrong with well engineered FWD cars. This car is designed for the road anyway - unless you're pushing the limits of the car on a racetrack, where should the FWD vs RWD debate even come into it? Not everyone wants to be a drift king / burnout hero. Most people (including an overwhelming majority of FWD haters) wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a FWD and RWD when they are driving either around town.

I'm sure BMW marketing won't make the mistake of screwing with their brand image by producing something on the cheap. Even if it's sub 30k, that's a lot of money for a hatch the size of a Hyundai. I'd expect the same BMW quality and drive, even if the equipment level isn't up to scratch with the rest of the BMW range.

Maybe not the greatest examples, but while I was driving a VT daily, took my fiance's mum's 2010 Lancer for a drive up to get some Maccas, and driving sensibly (since not my car) I noticed a huge difference in handling, hated the Lancer and just re-affirmed to me why I dislike FWD.

Yeah that's a pretty bad example lol, completely different cars! :)

I too am not a fan of how Lancers handle, but it has more to do with the suspension than the FWD. That said, they aren't a front wheel drive engineered for performance either. Those that are will have biases in the suspension and an intermediate driveshaft running across the back of the engine.

An Integra Type R would own a VT in the handling and enjoyment department. While you're at it you might as well write off the WRX too because it handles like a FWD... And the Integra Type R was far more of a driver's car.

Depends on the car more than anything.

At least I was comparing two family boats? :P

Def depends on the individual car. On the whole though, I'm biased against FWD, haven't driven any I've found particularly enjoyable.

There are plenty that you won't find enjoyable. But you have to look at it with a bit of scrutiny...most FWD are cheapo little hatchbacks that were never designed to handle well. They are just around town A-B cars, like the Lancer. As Matt said, if you drive some of the more performance oriented FWD cars you'll probably find them every bit as enjoyable unless you want to drift or do burnouts.

I know where this thread is going to end up, I can even see Warps replying lol but,

The only reason manufacturers go to/went to FWD layout's is it is cheaper and more compact, there are no other real benefits and yes Birds I reckon if you were blind folded you could tell the differences in drive train.

Nothing wrong with well engineered FWD cars. This car is designed for the road anyway - unless you're pushing the limits of the car on a racetrack, where should the FWD vs RWD debate even come into it? Not everyone wants to be a drift king / burnout hero. Most people (including an overwhelming majority of FWD haters) wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a FWD and RWD when they are driving either around town.

I'm sure BMW marketing won't make the mistake of screwing with their brand image by producing something on the cheap. Even if it's sub 30k, that's a lot of money for a hatch the size of a Hyundai. I'd expect the same BMW quality and drive, even if the equipment level isn't up to scratch with the rest of the BMW range.

Yep, I'd expect the same interior quality and drive/ride balance of the 1-series. ie. pretty poor. I highly doubt BMW can make a good low priced car. The Aussie mark-up, the fixed costs of the company, the existing supplier base are all based around a higher priced product and all point to an inability to produce a competitive cheap product vs the Japanese.

I think it'll be good in some areas.....but pretty poor overall for the money....ala 1-series (barring the big engine models).

Now hopefully they prove me wrong because there are only a handful of car companies that keep my faith in modern cars and BMW is one of them. I hope I don't have to add them to the recently binned list with Toyota.

Edited by simpletool

Like is basically said in the articles, its for people who buy BMW's on name only, the sort of dickheads (80% apparently) who didn't even know it was rear wheel drive.

Majority of Asians (Chinese) are doing that already, I know of plenty family friends (all Chinese Mums & dads) driving around in their taxi 318is & acting like they are rich bastards with 'high society status' because they own a Beemer.

It's more the fact that their cars are overpriced to buggery in Australia. The 1 series is a great little car - I've got one - but not for $50k.

Nothing wrong with FWD tbh.

I personally loved my clio 197 when i had it, and i loved the megane 250RS when i had the chance to test drive the car. They handle well, a different sort of car to my GT-R, but they are still fun cars, that i would love to own here, if not for the ridiculous renault sump plug and having to reset the computer every service.

But they were well engineered sport hatchbacks.

FWD is just a matter of how you drive it, isnt it? Normally Beemers dont put out near enough power to do anything anyway, other than the real sport versions.

The only reason manufacturers go to/went to FWD layout's is it is cheaper and more compact

Cheaper, more compact, less cabin intrusion, lower drivetrain loss. In a passenger car where chassis balance and steering feel aren't prioritised, they're not bad things.

Still, I'm surpised BMW is cheapening its brand this way by going bum dragging. Then again, they were always the NA car company that started building pretty good turbo cars. And the New Mini actually steers pretty damned well.