SAU Community

Wats the deal with VIC Demeric Points system?

Dragon18

Ok so today i was taking my brothers car down to bmt to get some work done

get stoped by the cops on the way

so i got fined and lost 3 points for not displaying my p's there goes my clean record

car got defected for too low bald tyres wrong pod and bov but he said bov ok coz it ventes back into exhuast but anways :)

this shits me i mean yes i should have had my p's but i dont thinhk its worth 3 points

ok

now

this is my question what the hell is the law about points and P plates

iam on my last year of my p's havnt lost any points till today which was 3 points i lost

what happends now how many points do i have left?

any one can clear this up for me be great :D

Guest INASNT

simple answer is that the vic cops are **** ****** ***** ****** ** ******

and the vic government is *******************************************

:)

...you snooze you loose

Defect is generally 1 point I believe if they choose to put "x points" on the defect statement you have lost points. Usually they just write out the defect and no points are awarded to you, the luuuuuuuuky driver. VIC has gone to a lovely 6 point system for p-plates, and basically if you breach that now you could almost be on your p's forever. In fact i probably already would be myself if that rule existed when i was a young lad.

move interstate.. they don't even have to display p plates as such up here - truly!

ey rakis sorry i've been out havent been able to reply in msn

with p plates if you lose 5 points at all during the 3 years you could loose ur lisence for 3 months

which is bullshit, because i know someone who did 35km over the limit and only lost it for 1 month

anyway, i dont see the point in losing 3 points for no display of plates, i always think of points to be punishment for when you drive carelessly or dangerously

so far i have lost points for:

last year 1 point for speeding under 10km over the limit (64 in 60 zone)

this year 3 points for rear p plate not in full view (you know how dark the jap tint is)

i have fixed the problem bysticking the p plate on the outside with sticky tape lol

but 3 points? thats stupid

ok, speeding should equal a fine and points but i dont know, some things are stupid i guess, my opinion anyway

Ok, first of all you start with no DEmerit points, if you started with points they would be MERIT points.

In the good 'ol days you could accrue 12 demerit points within a 3 year period without suspension, now on p's you have half that.

the only speculation is whether this applys to p platers that were already liscensed when this new legislation (big word that)! was passed.

When you drive some one elses car you become responsible for it and any legal issues if caught driving it in an un roadworthy condition. (or sideways)! Mind you your brother should pay the fine or forever deal with the fact that he will burn in hell if he dosen't!

Display your p's clearly at all times or incur the rath of the moderately unfair traffic laws.

This is your responsibility and the fine and demerit scheme is a friendly reminder!

Also be careful not to exceed the speed limit by more than 3kph as you will be fined and generally pissed off like millions of victorians!

If you want to know how many points you have used/left, get a driver report (costs $7.20):

https://www5a.maxi.com.au/epp/vrd/onlinepayment.asp#

According to my calculations I was left with one point near the end of my Ps but when I checked my record I had only lost 7, and not the 11 that I thought I did (back in the 12-point days). Don't know why this was the case, maybe they got lost, maybe points aren't always deducted but it was missing two of my fines - and this is coming from Vicroads database.

-Greg.

a bit off topic but this is my beef...

the good ol' days allowed you to exceed the speed limit by 10% + 3kmph. (ie. 113 in a 100zone)

then i believe it was changed to +3kmph (not including the 3kmph variance between speed detector and car speed)

now its zero tolerance so basically, 3kmph above the speed limit and ur stuffed... i'm not gonna condone speeding but seriously, there has to be some sort of leeway so when overtaking a car or something u dont get ****ed by a speed camera. Mindyou, I got done driving down the GOR. The only place i could overtake a car pulling a trailer safely, the coppers placed a speed camera and i was done doing 15kmph over the limit. It's just getting ridiculous...

its very harsh with speeding over there compared to here. There is just so little leway anymore, barely the width of your speedo needle. We have 10% + 3 although not advised to quote it if pulled over doing that! Its fine on the motorways when all the traffic is moving along at 120kph ish, they will leave you alone. If you are the only one doing that and everyone is going slower, they will get you then.

I do agree with having it stricter like you guys do in built up areas as there are so many kids who just run out without looking but in the middle of no where like the Hume!?

Guest INASNT

It all comes down to steve brack that spineless mutha***er and his ***ed up government!!

He has some sort of fetish with placing camera on every road possible. The asshole was on the news yesterday in lebanon coz hes apparently a leb.

I think it BS and hes really a NAZI who has a family connection to Hitler.

It all comes down to steve brack that spineless mutha***er and his ***ed up government!!

He has some sort of fetish with placing camera on every road possible. The asshole was on the news yesterday in lebanon coz hes apparently a leb.

I think it BS and hes really a NAZI who has a family connection to Hitler.

As soon as the Libs are elected in Victoria I'm sure they are going to take away all the revenue grabbing laws that are in place now.

Clarkey

yeah.. doubt it. These things come and stay. But still he should be punished (e.g. voted out) for introducing it and thats the whole point I reckon.

I've said it before.. and will say it again. Other states in Australia have a much more relaxed policy and people aren't dying all over the place on the roads. There are cameras, cops and everything else but its not so Nazi as I found in VIC.

And the thing is no more lives really are lost in % of population as a result of a 10% tollerance. Its all about money, thats all it is. And the Victorian government would basically unable to support its funding for hospitals, schools, etc without this revenue so it stays.

Guest INASNT
As soon as the Libs are elected in Victoria I'm sure they are going to take away all the revenue grabbing laws that are in place now.

Clarkey

libs would atleast bring back the 10% law so u would get done for doing 63 in a 60 zone anymore.

libs would atleast bring back the 10% law so u would get done for doing 63 in a 60 zone anymore.

This was done in Perth. They had the 3 km rule and the nesxt gov brought it back to 10%

Clarkey

why would they take away something that brings in so much money?