SAU Community

RB20det problems

IM BACK.......

OK Model and Parts involved: Rb20det silver top engine

Problem: This problem is on off. It could go for days with out happening and then 20 times the next week. The rev's seem to be hunting. I will sit at the lights and the rev's will go inbetween 500rpm and 2000rpm. I have replaced the TPS & AFM as i thought these as being posible issues. Rather than going ahead and replacing more stuff i thought I'd ask as im sure someone else has had this problem. This hunting problem when you apply the throttle the car will stall as tho the boost cut has come in. This can also occur during driving rough or smooth or in between gear this fault will kill the motor and the only thing keeping it going is the momentum the car has built up already. If you press the clutch in the car will either hunt like at the lights or stall.

Can some one shed some light on the situation.

Also im looking for a copy of the error codes for this ECU

and a diagram of the pin config of the silver top ECU

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is happening on my buddy's 20 and is an inconsistent problem like yours. We have replaced the AAC so far, and it is still doing the same thing. We have been told that it could be due to a TB warmer issue (something about a coolant line that is run to the bottom of the TB)... is there any validity to this diagnosis?

Ok, I have replaced the TPS

No go

I have run a diag and got a code 55 = all good

I cleaned the AFM and the car ran allright....

Im just gonna save up a bit and get a whole service and tune...

I have been told the TB warmer is a bad design flaw however cant interfear like this so im gonna rule that one out. I am out of ideas, just gonna replace the spark plugs and clean everything up again and see what happens.

I have also noticed that the AFM on my car has had both grills removed and the auto elec said that some think it gives them an extra kw or 2 but is generally a bad practice. So after cleaning the element very very carefully it ran better, but in 2 days it started stuffing up again.

Any one else got an idea???

To the best of my knowledge, a faulty O2 sensor won't kill an engine - the ECU will simply ignore it, and run rich.

When were the injectors last removed and cleaned?

Have you tried swapping over the ignitor module for a known good one? (although I think it's an unlikely source of the problem)

• 2 weeks later...

have cleaned all inside out and have had no luck have checked all vac lines....

Gonna have to try AFM i guess...

Gonna be an expensive excercise...

Its hurt buying another one cause i have 3 to suit a red top rb20...

Including a BRAND NEW Nismo item cost $800

we may have a solution....

check this

Note: Im Be-atch (talking about the AAC)

Be-atch (NOW CABLE POWERED) says:

.... i was ****in with it the other day and couldnt be ****ed playing with it

god damn it... i knew i should have played with it

Nismo_Freak says:

pull the plug ... see if it solves your problem

but what control does it have

Nismo_Freak says:

it can raise your idle alot

Nismo_Freak says:

and cause you to go lean ... causing det ... causing bucking

Nismo_Freak says:

when your driving

but csan it make the care hunt and carry on.... like boost cut in and out really fast

arhhhhh

Nismo_Freak says:

yep

thats it

Nismo_Freak says:

if it's leaking enough

lean = det = knock sen = shut down

Nismo_Freak says:

yup

Nismo_Freak says:

timing retard down to 10 degs. for about 15 seconds

okay i read that.. but stil dont under stand.. there is a little screw on the side of the idle controller that you can turn.. i have done this and it increases the revs to about 1500 which gets rid of any miss that was there. so for the last 5 hours i been playing round cleaning heaps of shit.. im pretty sure my wires to the coils are a bit burnt out.. by the looks of it.. could cause it.. also the, heaps of my wires have seen better days.. theres potention problem cause right there.. i had my bov off so i decided to reconnect it.. then i turn the car on and there is a loud air leak.. found it to be the pipe that goes into the cross over pipe just before the throttle body.. im not sure exactly where the leak is.. either the t-peice of the hosing.. but im going to replace it all.. turn my idle back down and im pretty sure that this will fix it.. if its not that im guessing my head gasket(long story) is gone or its my ignitor.coil packs are stuffed.

I read that post as well... not exactly sure what it's saying to do. We have pulled the plug and the idle drops to normal. What does this mean? The AAC has been cleaned twice now and it's still idling high. Would a lack of a charcoal cansister do this same fast idle?