SAU Community

R33,34 / R32 Attessa, Hicas And Torque Split

Can someone help me out with a couple of questions please?

1. Does anyone have experience with using a torque split controller such as the HKS ETC on an R32 GTR? If so can you tell me what your impressions are?

2. I understand the R33 and 34 versions of ATTESSA and HICAS differ from the R32 system, particularly with respect to ATTESSA torque split. Has anyone researched the possibility of adapting all or part of the ATTESSA or HICAS system from an R33 or 34 into an R32?

Regards

HKS torque split controller is good for wet cond while in competition . Can set the split to keep the drive consistent and help stop the tail sliding before the front starts to bite.

Prolonged use will not do the clutch packs in the transfer case a lot of good as your running a constant slippage.

It is also a bastard to turn at slow speed unless it's in the auto position...

What differences are you expecting from the R33/R34 combo unless it is out of a VSpec which has a faster acting ATTESSA computer( but is also coupled with the hydraulic diff)

Cheers

Ken

Ken;

Thanks for the feedback on the ETC. Gotcha on the clutch packs, I take it that you wouldn't recommend using one on a daily driven car?

It's the faster acting ATTESSA I'm after. I understand the 33/34 system transfers torque to the front much sooner than the 32 system. However, from your thread I gather that this might only occur on V spec models?

Regards,

Mark

Supposedly the R33 and/or R34 ATTESSA controller is able to be swapped into the R32?

Hi Elithrar;

Did some more research today. Seems that the actuator is electronic in the 33/34 rather than hydraulic as in the 32. A conversion would seem to be of the 'nightmare' variety and is rapidly looking to be a no-no unfortunately.

The only option seems to be the HKS ETC, which I understand is discontinued, and there appear to be very few people using them so not much user info exists.

Cheers

Ken;

Thanks for the feedback on the ETC. Gotcha on the clutch packs, I take it that you wouldn't recommend using one on a daily driven car?

Regards,  

Mark

Mark , there is an off position which returns it to normal and I have( had ) one in my old R which I used if it look likr things were going to get *spirited* in the traction/conering department.

Only thing you have to watch is if it is set high and you turn it on, it may bring up the 4wd light which means you then have to stop the car, turn it off and bring the setting up slowly.

They work well and set with a heavy rear bias can give predictable drif.... err , fun.

Cheers

Ken

There is also some DIY type controller that i was reading about in some online AutoSpeed article. From the author, he was apparently amazed at how much faster he could push the R (32 as well). He had quite a few different settings, i think a scale from 1 - 10. I can't remember whether 1 was super dry conditions, or 10 was.

I couldn't quite follow the theory behind the little thing he set up but i think the HKS system may have been mentioned. I'll try and find the article for ya.

ok i just read it, he did change some suspension items. I was just looking at the first pic :)

anyways, i hope you could follow the explanation. It seems to be what you wanted, and it sounds awesome. If i ever get an 'R' i might have to give it a try. I very, VERY much like the idea of being able to change the settings of the torque split for wet or dry conditions. Great idea. Altho i know very, very little about how ATTESSA works or suspension for that matter.

anyways, i think the guy didn't realise that GT-R's from the factory always had had the oversteer character. I guess that's just the way Nissan wants them or makes them. Well that's what i've always heard.

hope the article helps.

cheers.

I've driven a stocker and an autospeed controller car back to back (it was on 6/10) and the difference was amazing....not bad for about $20.

Hi Duncan;

That's interesting, I always knew that someone other than Julian Edgar must've built and/or used one. The understanding I gained from reading the article is that, as you say, the difference is amazing. I'll proably go down the route of trying to build one myself as the money for the HKS unit seems way too high given the content, although it has plug n play convenience on its side.

Assuming that the car you drove wasn't Julian's own car, do you know who built the unit and if they're a SAU member?

Regards

Mark

Interesting, I was just toying with this idea today. So the only really "upgrade" you can do for the R32 is to a V-spec R32 controller? Anything else required besides the controller itself?

I was hoping this was the case so I could just swap in an R33 or R34 controller but apparently the means of actuation on the R33/34 is electronic rather than hydraulic, so unfortunately a straight swap doesn't seem possible.

Can anyone with a 33/34 confirm this?

Regards

Yep, they are on the forums, try pming HAW001. The difference was hge, although I havent driven a car with the HKS controller to compare to. Cost would be under $50, or bugger all if you can follow the instructions on autospeed yourself.