SAU Community

Paint Matching Then Put Into A Spray Can?

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if there are places out there that matches paint on your car then mixes it for you then puts it into a spray can for you?

Because I might want to spray my own sideskirts lol

Thanks!

I've never heard of anywhere that does that, matching touch up paint isn't hard, but seaming the tops onto the cans and pressurising them is not a simple task.

If you have a chat with a decent painter, a lot will help you out on price.

If you're prepared to remove the skirts, clean them up, drop them off, then be patient and wait until they can squeeze your parts in; most places will do a bunch of small parts (i.e grilles vents, bumpers etc) every week or so.

As long as you don't ring up nagging if it takes a couple of weeks; you could get a cheap, good quality job.

That's what I'm doing at the moment with my painter, got my skirts back in 3 days, but I've been waiting 11/2 weeks for my front & rear bars. I'm busting to have them back; but I don't want to bother him because he's charging less than half what he would if my car was in his workshop.

Just a thought.

Any paint shop can do that or go to an Autobarn. I used to do it at Autobarn on a daily basis.

I've never heard of anywhere that does that, matching touch up paint isn't hard, but seaming the tops onto the cans and pressurising them is not a simple task.

It's actually really easy.

Can's come empty with the gas allready in them. You take the spray nozzle off of the can. You mix the paint into a container and the lock it onto the top of the can. You place it into a machine and lock it in place and a piston forces the paint into the can.

Thanks for the replies :)

I know that Autobarn does it, but I thought they only mix up stock colours?

I need someone to actually match the paint from my car then put it into a can...

afaik you take colour codes in to autobarn then they mix it as per the paint handbook.

I know places like bunnings used to be able to colour match any sample colour you bring to them and make house paint for you, but car paint...who knows? Maybe they can give you the tinting colours to make the colour you want and you can take it to an auto shop to ask for a spray can using those colours...

afaik you take colour codes in to autobarn then they mix it as per the paint handbook.

I know places like bunnings used to be able to colour match any sample colour you bring to them and make house paint for you, but car paint...who knows? Maybe they can give you the tinting colours to make the colour you want and you can take it to an auto shop to ask for a spray can using those colours...

Which Autobarn have you been going to? It doesn't exist in WA!

I'm keen to know where I can get my TG0 (Grey) mixed up and put in a can in WA.

The franchise AutObarn doesn't exist in WA. There is something else in WA called something similar to Autobarn though. I remember getting an explanation at a staff meeting one time of the whole thing but can't remember now.

Auto1 and autopro are the only similar ones that I can think of... Dunno if they do paint matching.

*edit* or there is autobahn, but they are a servicing garage and I'm sure wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Edited by Hanaldo

I just dropped by Autobarn today, the dude says they can only mix paint from factory colour codes, they don't match paints.

So he suggested me to go to a paint shop (where panel beaters goes to get paints) and he said they can put it into a spray can for me for about $35 a can :)

$35 a can... they charge $40 a can where I am -.-... The autobarn where I am does paint matching - That is a bit odd that some of them do and some of them don't lol.

It might also have to do with the autobarn in my area is supposed to be the biggest autobarn

When I went with my mate the first time, he brought in his brother's XBOX and said "I want the green of the X" and they did that.

Now they walk out and check out the car. Make it.. take out a bit of paint and put it on a bit of cardboard and hold it up against the car and go from there

There is a few different ways to do paint matching. The most common which we used to do in Autobarn is take out a little book of all different colours and hold them up against the cars paint to try and match something. Most simple colours you can get pretty close, however never 100%.

The other method which I have heard of is what some places have is a scanner that samples the paint and tells you what it is made up of.

The other method which I have heard of is what some places have is a scanner that samples the paint and tells you what it is made up of.

I had original factory paint on my old 33 and when I took it to get a section of rust cut out, they said they didnt even bother with the factory code and just scan it and spray... so this is def something people do

Charles in Narre warren (just down the road from your work) behind the servo on the corner of vesper dv next to beaurepairs is a paint shop go see them..problem is you cant put 2pac in a pressure pack though, but go ask them anyway.. alternatively go to paint mobile in dandenong, cnr of cheltenham rd and bennet st..

Charles in Narre warren (just down the road from your work) behind the servo on the corner of vesper dv next to beaurepairs is a paint shop go see them..problem is you cant put 2pac in a pressure pack though, but go ask them anyway.. alternatively go to paint mobile in dandenong, cnr of cheltenham rd and bennet st..

The dude from Autobarn actually told me about Paint Mobile in Dandenong, so I might give them a try.

So because I can't put 2 pac in a can, I gotta get the other type of paint which needs clear coat?

probably, for the amount of stuffing around its just easier to pay a pro a 100$ to do it..

I got a quote of 60$ to paint a bumper, 200$ to paint a bonnet so it shouldn't be too much to do some skirts..

I would buy a litre of paint though anyway so you have it there for future needs.It goes a long way, take it to the panel shop with you, they will have thinners and clear coat you just need to provide the colour