SAU Community

Hks Ssq Bov Flutter?

Only if you tighten it too much.. I think you will find that true compressor surge is actually when the engine cant swallow the boost the turbo is throwing at it.

It will frighten you...

Incredible that's the first time I've seen on load surge like that - bet the dyno operator though "WTF?!?" for a bit...

Cool find gotRICE.

^ Shit post is shit

Tightening the BOV or blocking it is just going to cause compressor surge. Stao told me to avoid any compressor surge but I really do like the sound of it.

The flutter noise is compressor surge. It makes tuning a pain in the ass but it won't break anything, it is completely different from compressor surge when you are WOT, that kills turbos.

Basically if you want the flutter noise run no BOV or tighten the bov so much that it doesn't really open.

Incredible that's the first time I've seen on load surge like that - bet the dyno operator though "WTF?!?" for a bit...

Cool find gotRICE.

This is the kind of surge that kills turbos, he is loading it up way too much though, that is like coming on boost at low rpm in 5th gear up a hill, you almost never get that much load.

lol to all the people saying surge isnt flutter, they are teh saem thing as the car above on the dyno, just happen when you lift off instead of under load. As far as the turbo is concerned it is the same thing(running too far to the left of the compressor map past the surge line)

It is completely different, when WOT you have a torque applied to the exhaust wheel, the wheel keeps slipping and it will eat the bearings eventually. When you are off throttle there is no torque being applied so the wheel just slows down. When WOT it will kill the turbo, when you are off throttle it wont do shit.This topic has been done to death, flutter won't break anything, heaps of cars ran no BOV from the factory, HR31 skylines, VL turbos, some porsches, even F1 turbo cars have no bovs lol and neither do most 600hp rally cars.

It is a non issue, if you like the sound of it go for gold it wont break anything, it might screw with the tune and causing stalling and puffs of black smoke when you throttle off though.

Edited by Rolls

• 8 years later...
On 7/15/2011 at 5:08 AM, Rolls said:

The flutter noise is compressor surge. It makes tuning a pain in the ass but it won't break anything, it is completely different from compressor surge when you are WOT, that kills turbos.

Basically if you want the flutter noise run no BOV or tighten the bov so much that it doesn't really open.

This is the kind of surge that kills turbos, he is loading it up way too much though, that is like coming on boost at low rpm in 5th gear up a hill, you almost never get that much load.

It is completely different, when WOT you have a torque applied to the exhaust wheel, the wheel keeps slipping and it will eat the bearings eventually. When you are off throttle there is no torque being applied so the wheel just slows down. When WOT it will kill the turbo, when you are off throttle it wont do shit.This topic has been done to death, flutter won't break anything, heaps of cars ran no BOV from the factory, HR31 skylines, VL turbos, some porsches, even F1 turbo cars have no bovs lol and neither do most 600hp rally cars.

It is a non issue, if you like the sound of it go for gold it wont break anything, it might screw with the tune and causing stalling and puffs of black smoke when you throttle off though.

christ, I can't afford glasses right now and I'm interested to read what you're saying, lol sorry to res an old thread.

7 hours ago, nicostar said:

christ, I can't afford glasses right now and I'm interested to read what you're saying, lol sorry to res an old thread.

get some cheap $2 glasses or a magnifying app for your phone

• Haha 1